Measuring eccentricity of the ends of a shaft

In summary, Daniel is a new member of a forum and he is a mechanical engineer working at a machining workshop in Norway. He is currently producing steel shafts with high accuracy requirements. The shafts are 1500mm long and have a diameter of 40mm with a tolerance of +0.000mm and -0.011mm. The ends of the shafts also need to be eccentric within 0.02mm. Daniel is looking for suggestions on how to accurately measure the eccentricity of the ends and has found a potential solution using precision v-blocks and a dial/digital indicator with sufficient resolution.
bamek
Hi!
My name is Daniel and I'm new to this forum.

I work as a mechanical engineer at a machining workshop in Norway. We are currently producing some steel shafts that require a high level of accuracy.

The shafts are about 1500mm long, and has a diameter of 40mm h6 (+0,000mm, -0,011mm) all over. The ends of the shaft are required to be eccentric within 0,02mm (I don't know if this is the right way to explain it, but I hope you understand.)

Because of the length and the difficult tolerance of the diameter, the shaft has to be machined in two operations, and this makes the eccentricity hard to achieve, but I believe that I have found a way to machine the part within all given tolerances.

My question is, does anybody have an idea how I can measure the eccentricity of the ends accurately?

Best regards
Daniel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Precision v-blocks and a dial/digital indicator of sufficient resolution -- generally 10 times the required precision. (E.g., For a required 0.02mm, an indicator of 0.002mm resolution.)

Welcome to the forum Daniel.

Just to check my understanding here... By eccentricity do you mean that the ends of the bars have to be on the same centreline to within a total of 0.02 mm?

If so, the V blocks and indicator might work but you will need to support one half of the shaft while measuring the end of the other.

Related to Measuring eccentricity of the ends of a shaft

1. What is the purpose of measuring eccentricity of the ends of a shaft?

Measuring the eccentricity of the ends of a shaft is important in determining the quality and precision of the manufacturing process. It helps ensure that the shaft is balanced and will rotate smoothly without causing any damage or wear and tear.

2. How is eccentricity measured?

Eccentricity can be measured using specialized tools such as dial indicators or laser alignment systems. These tools measure the distance between the centerline of the shaft and the centerline of the bearing or housing it is mounted in.

3. What is considered an acceptable eccentricity measurement?

The acceptable eccentricity measurement can vary depending on the specific application and requirements. However, in general, an eccentricity measurement of less than 0.002 inches is considered acceptable for most industrial machines.

4. What causes eccentricity in a shaft?

Eccentricity in a shaft can be caused by various factors, including manufacturing defects, improper installation, wear and tear, and misalignment between the shaft and its bearings or housings.

5. How can eccentricity be corrected?

If the eccentricity measurement is found to be outside of the acceptable range, it can be corrected by adjusting the position of the shaft or its bearings and housings. This can be done through precision machining, shimming, or using specialized alignment tools.