Measuring Light's Brightness & Power Flux Relative to Observer's Speed

In summary, the speed of the observer's measuring instrument relative to the light source does not significantly affect the brightness and/or power flux density measured by the observer. However, the observer would need infinite energy to accelerate their spacecraft to the speed of light in order to receive infinite energy from a distant light source. This is not feasible as the spacecraft would be destroyed by the intense light pressure and high-energy photons.
alan123hk
TL;DR Summary
The relationship between the movement speed of the observer's measuring instrument and the measured brightness and/or power flux density.
Assuming that the observer moves along the direction of the light, does the speed of the observer's measuring instrument relative to the light source (which may be close to the speed of light) affect the brightness and/or power flux density measured by the observer?

I'm not sure about this, thanks for helping.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just consider a plane wave and Lorentz boost it from the restframe of the source to the rest frame of the observer. You'll get a plane wave again with changed ##\omega## and ##\vec{k}##, from which you get the Poynting vector the observer measures.

Likes alan123hk and Ibix
And qualitatively, imagine you 10m behind me coming towards me at 10m/s. At the end of one second you'll be next to me, so you'll have received all the light that I have, plus the bit that had passed me but not reached you at the start of the second. It's not a particularly significant effect unless you are doing a large fraction of light speed.

• Informative
Likes alan123hk
vanhees71 said:
Just consider a plane wave and Lorentz boost it from the restframe of the source to the rest frame of the observer. You'll get a plane wave again with changed ω and k→, from which you get the Poynting vector the observer measures.
Thank you for your concise, direct and valuable reply.

For the sake of simplicity, only the momentum of light is considered. Applying the Lorentz Transformation of the Momentum-Energy Four Vectors of Light (https://hepweb.ucsd.edu/ph110b/110b_notes/node54.html).

If the movement direction of the observer is opposite to the direction of the light

$$ E'_x = \gamma \left( E_x - \beta c \vec P_x \right) = \gamma \left( E_x + \beta E_x \right) = \gamma E_x \left( 1+ \beta \right) $$ $$ \text {Therefore,}~~~ E_x'=E_x \left( \frac {1+\frac{v}{c} }{\sqrt{1-\frac {v^2}{c^2}}} \right)~~~~\Rightarrow~~~~\frac {\text {Power Flux Density'}} {\text {Power Flux Density}} =
\frac {1+\frac{v}{c}} {\sqrt{1-\frac {v^2}{c^2}}} $$
I believe that even if the above calculation is not very complete and strict, there should be no serious errors.

From the above mathematical formula, although the observer needs infinite energy to accelerate his spacecraft to close to the speed of light, it seems that he can receive infinite energy from a distant light source at the same time. For example, a huge distant galaxy. The question is whether it can operate like wind power, that is, convert the received light energy into kinetic energy and let it move in the direction opposite to the direction of the received light. :-p

Edit: - I admit that the above idea is very impossible to realize, because when the spacecraft is close to the speed of light, the infinite light pressure received by the spacecraft will destroy it, and those high-energy photons will also completely kill the lives on the spacecraft .🤔 😓

Last edited:

1. How do you measure the brightness of light?

The brightness of light is typically measured using a photometer, which is a device that measures the amount of light energy that reaches a certain area in a given amount of time. This measurement is known as luminous flux and is typically expressed in lumens.

2. What is power flux and how is it related to light's brightness?

Power flux is the rate at which light energy is transferred through a given area. It is directly related to light's brightness, as a brighter light source will have a higher power flux compared to a dimmer light source.

3. How does an observer's speed affect the measurement of light's brightness and power flux?

An observer's speed does not affect the measurement of light's brightness, as it is a relative measurement. However, an observer's speed can affect the measurement of power flux, as the speed of the observer can cause a shift in the wavelength of light, known as the Doppler effect.

4. Can light's brightness and power flux be measured in different units?

Yes, light's brightness and power flux can be measured in different units depending on the context. For example, luminous flux is typically measured in lumens, while power flux can be measured in watts per square meter or other units of power.

5. How do you account for the observer's speed when measuring light's brightness and power flux?

To account for the observer's speed when measuring light's brightness and power flux, the observer's frame of reference must be taken into consideration. This can be done by applying the appropriate equations for the Doppler effect, which take into account the relative speed between the observer and the light source.