Measuring Motor Rotation with a Desktop Computer

In summary, a microcontroller is communicating with a desktop computer which is controlling the direction of rotation of a motor. The desktop computer can prompt a step in the motor causing a rotation. However, what can the user do in terms of feedback?
sandy.bridge
Hello all,

A bit of background. We are communicating with a microcontroller through a desktop computer. The desktop computer controls direction of rotation of the motor, and it can prompt a step in the motor causing a rotation. However, what can I do in terms of feedback? I have not taken controls (I will be in my final semester), but I do want a way to ensure the motor is indeed rotating the predetermined amount.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello SB -- I think you thinking is backwards? The uC controls the motor and the desktop issues commands to the uC - am I correct?

Typically the uC is controlling the motor and regulating the speed (a basic controls problem) however "to ensure the motor is indeed rotating the predetermined amount" is usually a secondary control loop - and this an be at many levels, But the key is how are you measuring the speed? Can this signal be measured / read by the PC directly or in a background by the uC supervisory loop. What time response is needed? etc...

Optical mouse wheel mechanically coupled to motor shaft ?

My apologies, that was a typo. The computer merely issues the commands, and the uC controls the motor.
The motor will not be constantly running. A user promts it to rotate 5 degrees at a time.

jim hardy said:
Optical mouse wheel mechanically coupled to motor shaft ?
Oh, neat. I have a similar application this may work on. Thanks Jim. :)

We did consider the mouse application, however, we decided against it. We are providing freedback to the microcontroller's A/D via mechanically coupling a potentiometer to the shaft of the motor; each discrete voltage will coincide with a relative angular position of the shaft.

sandy.bridge said:
We did consider the mouse application, however, we decided against it. We are providing freedback to the microcontroller's A/D via mechanically coupling a potentiometer to the shaft of the motor; each discrete voltage will coincide with a relative angular position of the shaft.
Ok so simply convert that value from the A/D from volts to meters (or whatever measurement you have on your input).
Then subtract your input (desired value) from the feedback (measured value). If there is a difference, apply a voltage to the motor such that it moves either forward or backwards. This process continues until the two values are equal.

note: you might want to set a condition where if the motor is "close enough" then the motor won't move.

does that make sense?

http://nuclearpowertraining.tpub.com/h1013v2/img/h1013v2_117_3.jpg
so looking at the above link,
feedback elements would be your potentiometer, the ADC, and your conversion factor to meters, inches etc,
control elements would be where you decide if the motor is close enough and the motor driver. the plant is the motor, the output is the motors position, and the input is the desired motors position.

1. How does a desktop computer measure motor rotation?

A desktop computer uses sensors and software to track the movement of a motor's rotation. The sensors detect changes in the motor's magnetic field or use optical encoders to track the rotation. The data is then processed by the software to calculate the rotation speed and direction.

2. What are the benefits of measuring motor rotation with a desktop computer?

Measuring motor rotation with a desktop computer offers precise and accurate results. It also allows for real-time monitoring and data logging, making it easier to identify and troubleshoot any issues with the motor. Additionally, using a computer eliminates the need for manual calculations and reduces the risk of human error.

3. Can any type of motor be measured with a desktop computer?

Yes, most types of motors, including AC and DC motors, can be measured using a desktop computer. However, the type of sensor and software used may vary depending on the motor's specific characteristics.

4. Is there a limit to the motor's rotation speed that can be measured with a desktop computer?

The limit to the motor's rotation speed that can be measured with a desktop computer depends on the sensors and software being used. Some sensors have a maximum frequency or resolution, which may limit the detection of high-speed rotations. However, there are specialized sensors and software available for measuring very high rotation speeds.

5. How can the data collected from measuring motor rotation be used?

The data collected from measuring motor rotation can be used for various purposes, such as monitoring the motor's performance, detecting any abnormalities or malfunctions, and optimizing the motor's efficiency. It can also be used for predictive maintenance, which can help prevent unexpected breakdowns and save on repair costs.