Need help with my project -- microcontroller for DC motor controller

In summary, a student is seeking help with their project on Microcontroller for DC motor control. They are using a Microchip PIC16F876 and need to interface it with a personal computer to control speed, direction, torque, and position. They are looking for sources to complete their project and are not familiar with it. They are advised to search for information on "pic microcontroller motor control" and to use MPLab for programming. It is suggested to design and test the drive circuit separately before connecting it to the microcontroller. They are also advised to determine the drive requirements of the motor and work backwards to the interface with the microcontroller.
zxcvb
Hello, I'm a student currently doing my final year degree course in University College Sedaya International.
I have given a project called as Microcontroller for DC motor control. The requirement of the project are :-
PIC16F876-042fSO.jpg

1). Type of Microcontroller = Microchip PIC16F876
2). DC motor
3). The project have to be interfaced with personal computer to control the speed, direction, torque and position.
4). Have to monitor the speed and the turns of the motor in per sec.

So, I'm looking for some sources to complete my project successfully. But I'm not so familiar with this project and I'm seeking for some help.Is that possible for me to get the circuit diagram and the explanation of it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The PIC microcontrollers have been around along time now and there is a large amount of information about their practical application on the internet .

If you just search on ' pic microcontroller motor control ' you'll get all the information you need for your project .

The first microcontroller I programmed was a PIC 18F series. I had never programmed a microcontroller although I had done a lot of troubleshooting of microcontroller systems. I used MPLab offered free from the microchip website. I programmed in C which was a first for me also. It's not that hard if you take the time and you have the appropriate background which I would assume you do since you are in school.
-
It can be very intimidating since any microcontroller is a fairly complex device. The PICs are loaded with a lot of peripherals (A/D convertors, timers, etc.) so it seems a bit more intimidating but in the end it actually makes it easier. Don't let it get to you. Have you downloaded MPLab and gotten familiar with the editor?

Here's a suggestion that might help. Since the micro controller will need drive circuitry to control the DC motor, try to design and test the drive circuit as a stand alone project with the input requirements of the driver corresponding to the outputs from the PIC Micro controller. If your planning to use PWM, the micro controller output can temporarily simulated with a 555 timer. Once the circuit is working satisfactorily, the information and knowledge gained from this design process will help with the design of the driver interface to connect the PIC to the driver and the software for the PIC to run. If there are problems under hardware/software control, knowing the driver is working standalone gives you the opportunity to focus on the micro controller side of things. Overtime you may develop a "toolbox" from your working prototypes which make future projects easier.

Determine the drive requirements (electrical and load) of your motor and work backwards to the output of the drive circuit and eventually back to how you plan to interface the micro controller to the drive circuit under software and maybe interrupt control. Hope some of these ideas gives you some more ideas. Good luck

Likes cnh1995

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control electronic devices, such as motors, through the use of input and output signals.

2. How does a microcontroller control a DC motor?

A microcontroller can control a DC motor by using pulse width modulation (PWM) signals. These signals vary the voltage and current supplied to the motor, allowing for precise control of its speed and direction.

3. What are the benefits of using a microcontroller for a DC motor controller?

The use of a microcontroller for a DC motor controller allows for precise and efficient control of the motor's speed and direction. It also allows for the integration of other features, such as sensors and feedback mechanisms, to further enhance the control of the motor.

4. What type of microcontroller is best for a DC motor controller project?

The best type of microcontroller for a DC motor controller project will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the project. Some popular choices include Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and PIC microcontrollers.

5. Are there any resources available for help with a microcontroller for DC motor controller project?

Yes, there are many resources available for help with a microcontroller for DC motor controller projects. Online forums, tutorials, and guides can provide valuable information and support. Additionally, manufacturers of microcontrollers often offer technical support and documentation for their products.