Measuring Power Consumption of a Light Bulb with a Dimmer Switch

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for measuring the power consumption of a circuit with a 100W incandescent light bulb connected to the mains AC with a dimmer switch. It is mentioned that using a plug-in energy monitor with a digital display may not be accurate due to the presence of a dimmer in the circuit. Alternative methods such as using a thermometer probe and heating resistor or using a low-cost device with good scale factor accuracy are suggested. It is also noted that the non-sinusoidal current curve of a dimmer may complicate power calculations.
baha
Hi guys,

For a science experiment I've got to measure the power consumption of my circuit of a 100W incandescent light bulb connected to the mains AC, with a dimmer switch to vary its brightness. I was planning on just using one of those plug-in energy monitors with a digital display but I've heard that when there is a dimmer in the circuit (triac) this would make the readings of these plug-in energy monitors completely wrong - errors up to 50% - is this true? If so how else can I easily measure the power consumption of such a circuit?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Which plug in energy monitor are you referring to? Can you provide a link to a description, or advertisement for sale so we can see which unit it is?

The Electrician said:
Which plug in energy monitor are you referring to? Can you provide a link to a description, or advertisement for sale so we can see which unit it is?

Sorry should have said in the original post - it's this one that I've got and want to use http://www.lowenergysupermarket.com/collections/energy-monitors/products/plug-in-energy-monitor

You haven't said, but I'm assuming you live in a country where the mains voltage is 230 VAC.

What equipment do you have available for making measurements at your school? Do you have voltmeters, ammeters, oscilloscopes, resistors, capacitors, small transformers, etc.?l

Do you understand how dimmers work (by narrowing the waveform of the applied voltsge)?

I suspect that the circumstance where the error of your energy monitor becomes high is where the light is greatly dimmed, and the applied voltage becomes a very narrow pulse.

What accuracy will be acceptable for your project? Will reduced accuracy be acceptable at the highly dimmed range of the dimmer?

baha said:
Hi guys,

For a science experiment I've got to measure the power consumption of my circuit of a 100W incandescent light bulb connected to the mains AC, with a dimmer switch to vary its brightness. I was planning on just using one of those plug-in energy monitors with a digital display but I've heard that when there is a dimmer in the circuit (triac) this would make the readings of these plug-in energy monitors completely wrong - errors up to 50% - is this true? If so how else can I easily measure the power consumption of such a circuit?

Thanks

I doubt that that's true.

Power monitors work in several possible ways.

One way samples the ac current with a very low-ohmage resistor (like 0.01 ohms). That limits the power dissipation of a 1500W load to the sampling resistor to (1500/220)^2 * 0.01 < 0.5W. The sampling ac voltage then ranges from 0 to 68 mV which is then amplified, rectified, filtered, and sent to a dc a-d converter for display.

Reducing the duty cycle of the load by chopping the ac voltage thereto will not affect the accuracy of the filtered dc voltage, hence the displayed power.

Another way is to pass the load current thru a current transformer. The load current is passed thru a 1-turn, very low-resistance primary winding with a large number of secondary windings. This sizable ac voltage is again rectified etc. Again, no problem with a chopped load current.

I use a low-cost Belkin device which has no problem handling chopped line voltages. It has < 1 mW offset and good scale factor accuracy. The only problem for such devices is reactive loads for which VA rather than W is displayed. A chopped resistive load is no problem.

As an alternative, you could (carefully - to avoid fires):
* Thermally insulate the dimmer module with a thermometer probe and an unconnected heating resistor.
* Let the dimmer run until it's temperature increases by some about, say 10C.
* Let it all cool down.
* Connect the resistor and measure the time that it takes to get the same temperature increase with a known wattage.

rude man said:
I doubt that that's true.

Power monitors work in several possible ways.

One way samples the ac current with a very low-ohmage resistor (like 0.01 ohms). That limits the power dissipation of a 1500W load to the sampling resistor to (1500/220)^2 * 0.01 < 0.5W. The sampling ac voltage then ranges from 0 to 68 mV which is then amplified, rectified, filtered, and sent to a dc a-d converter for display.

I see a couple of problems with this. First you end up with a value proportional to the average (absolute, if full wave rectified, preferably) value of the AC current, when what is needed is the RMS value. Then how does this value for the current become a value for power? Isn't a multiplication by some voltage needed? We don't want to display the current; we want to display power.

The Electrician said:
I see a couple of problems with this. First you end up with a value proportional to the average (absolute, if full wave rectified, preferably) value of the AC current, when what is needed is the RMS value.

This is just a matter of scaling. FYI for a sine wave, rms = (1/√2)(2/π) of the fw rectified voltage dc component.
Then how does this value for the current become a value for power? Isn't a multiplication by some voltage needed? We don't want to display the current; we want to display power.

The voltage for the load is known and constant. It's 220V or whatever (in the US, 115V). So again, just a matter of scaling.

Don't confuse load power with sampling resistor power. We are not interested in the sampling resistor power which would indeed require squaring the current (or voltage).

Dimmers are often based on varying the conduction angle of thyristors or SCRs, and result in current curves that are non-sinusoidal (and often create an appreciable amount of RFI for the cheaper versions). This will complicate power calculations.

rude man said:
This is just a matter of scaling. FYI for a sine wave, rms = (1/√2)(2/π) of the fw rectified voltage dc component.The voltage for the load is known and constant. It's 220V or whatever (in the US, 115V). So again, just a matter of scaling.

Don't confuse load power with sampling resistor power. We are not interested in the sampling resistor power which would indeed require squaring the current (or voltage).

The load voltage and current aren't sine waves, which I thought you understood, since you said "Reducing the duty cycle of the load by chopping the ac voltage...".

Also, the OP said "...there is a dimmer in the circuit (triac)..."

rude man said:

I'm not confusing load power with sampling resistor power.

Obtaining load power would still require squaring the current, if we knew the load resistance.

But, since the load is an incandescent light bulb, the resistance of the bulb is not a constant; it depends on the amount of dimming. Just squaring the current won't work when the load resistance isn't known.

gneill said:
Dimmers are often based on varying the conduction angle of thyristors or SCRs

Which is what the OP said he has (triac rather than SCR); the standard household dimmer style.

Fellas, it doesn't matter that the load voltage does not consist of integer numbers of sinusoids. The period of the off-on cycle is on the order of seconds (my microwave is actually an unacceptable 30 sec. or so) whereas the ac frequencies are 50 or 60 Hz. Lots of whole 60 Hz load current cycles go undistorted before one cycle is distorted. And on top of that it averages out.

I don't know what else to tell electrician about his "need" to square things. Not necessary at all. Load power = Vi and you know V = 220 and i is measured.

If you really want to be critical you might do some calculations on the required op amp offset voltage precision reuired to do a 16 bit conversion, which my Belkin does. It makes me think the transformer method might be a lot better.

rude man said:
Fellas, it doesn't matter that the load voltage does not consist of integer numbers of sinusoids. The period of the off-on cycle is on the order of seconds (my microwave is actually an unacceptable 30 sec. or so) whereas the ac frequencies are 50 or 60 Hz. Lots of whole 60 Hz load current cycles go undistorted before one cycle is distorted. And on top of that it averages out.

I don't know what else to tell electrician about his "need" to square things. Not necessary at all. Load power = Vi and you know V = 220 and i is measured.

If you really want to be critical you might do some calculations on the required op amp offset voltage precision reuired to do a 16 bit conversion, which my Belkin does. It makes me think the transformer method might be a lot better.

You apparently don't understand how a triac light dimmer works. The on-off period is not on the order of seconds. How would that be called a "dimmer"? The light would be on full brightness for a few seconds and then completely off for a few seconds.

A triac light dimmer is a phase controlled device. The 50/60 Hz mains waveform is turned on to the load partway through every half cycle, so the on-off period is every 100/120th of a second.

Here's a scope capture showing mains voltage (green), load current (purple) and instantaneous power (dark red) with about half power applied to a 60W incandescent bulb:

attachment.php?attachmentid=66523&d=1392176034.png

Attachments

• MainsPlusLoad.png
    MainsPlusLoad.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 867
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

1. What is a dimmer switch?

A dimmer switch is a type of light switch that allows you to adjust the brightness of a light bulb. It works by controlling the amount of electricity flowing to the bulb, which in turn changes the intensity of the light it emits.

2. How does a dimmer switch affect power consumption?

A dimmer switch can reduce the power consumption of a light bulb by lowering the amount of electricity flowing to it. This is because the intensity of the light is directly proportional to the amount of power used by the bulb. By reducing the intensity, the bulb uses less power and therefore consumes less energy.

3. Can a dimmer switch save energy?

Yes, a dimmer switch can save energy by reducing the power consumption of a light bulb. By using less electricity, the bulb will consume less energy and therefore save on energy costs.

4. How do you measure power consumption of a light bulb with a dimmer switch?

To measure the power consumption of a light bulb with a dimmer switch, you will need a power meter or energy monitor. These devices can be plugged into the outlet and will display the amount of power being used by the light bulb. Make sure to set the dimmer switch to the desired level before taking the measurement.

5. Does the type of light bulb affect the power consumption with a dimmer switch?

Yes, the type of light bulb can affect the power consumption with a dimmer switch. LED and CFL bulbs are more energy-efficient and will consume less power compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. This means that even with a dimmer switch, these bulbs will still use less electricity and save on energy costs.