Measuring temperature of a current carrying conductor?

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the temperature of a current carrying conductor and finding the increase in temperature as it is heated up by passing a current through it. The person asking the question is looking for a method to measure the temperature accurately and at a reasonable cost. Suggestions are made to use non-contact infrared thermometers, but it is mentioned that they can be expensive. Other options such as building a calorimeter or using a probe from a manufacturing apparatus are also discussed. The person asking the question is asked about their budget and access to equipment, and suggestions are made for potential solutions.
firecool1
how do i measure temperature of a current carrying conductor? i need to know the increase in temperature as i heat it up by passing a current through it. i read somewhere that i could use heat transfer convection equations to find it, but then i would need the precise value of the heat transfer coefficient and specific heat of the material, which i don't have? will any other method work? will a thermocouple work on a current carrying conductor? please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How accurate do you need to be? What voltage is the conducor at? Is it easily accessable?

IR thermometer is your best bet

thanks everyone! :D
but ir thermometers are way too costly... :(

what kind of budget do you have for this project?

can you build a calorimeter? then you'd know how many joules it emits in a given time. from that, you can use the specific heat of the material to find the change in temperature. add that number to room temperature, and you'll have some idea

what about these: http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsectionSC.asp?subsection=A03&book=Temperature

what kind of manufacturing apparatus do you have access to? can you make your own probe?

How long do you need it for?
Have you considered hiring?

1. How does temperature affect the resistance of a current carrying conductor?

Temperature and resistance have a direct relationship. As the temperature of a conductor increases, its resistance also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the conductor vibrate more, causing more collisions with the moving electrons and impeding the flow of current.

2. What is the most accurate method for measuring the temperature of a current carrying conductor?

The most accurate method for measuring the temperature of a current carrying conductor is by using a thermocouple. This device consists of two wires made of different metals that are connected at two points. As the temperature changes, a voltage is produced at the connection points, which can be measured and converted into a temperature reading.

3. Can I use a regular thermometer to measure the temperature of a current carrying conductor?

No, a regular thermometer is not suitable for measuring the temperature of a current carrying conductor. This is because it requires direct contact with the object being measured, which can disrupt the flow of current and give inaccurate readings. Additionally, regular thermometers are not designed to measure high temperatures that may be present in a current carrying conductor.

4. How does the length and thickness of a conductor affect its temperature?

The length and thickness of a conductor do not directly affect its temperature. However, they can indirectly affect it by influencing the resistance of the conductor. A longer and thinner conductor will have a higher resistance and therefore, will heat up more compared to a shorter and thicker conductor for the same amount of current flowing through it.

5. Is there a maximum temperature that a current carrying conductor can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum temperature that a current carrying conductor can reach before it becomes damaged or melts. This temperature is known as the melting point or critical temperature of the conductor. The specific temperature varies depending on the material of the conductor and should be taken into consideration when designing electrical systems.