Measuring the resistance value of some bulbs.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the resistance of each light bulb in a parallel circuit using a small generator with a 5kW, 240V output and a constant frequency. Two different attempts were made, with the second one being incorrect due to treating the maximum power output as though it were all being used. The correct calculation is found by dividing the total power output by the number of bulbs and using this value in the formula Pw = i²R. The relevance of the information provided about the generator is also discussed, with the conclusion that only the information about voltage and power on the light bulb is necessary to find the resistance.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

A small generator of 5kW, 240V and a constant frequency is used to light up 35 bulbs in parallel, each one has (240 V, 60 W) printed on it. Calculate the resistance of each light bulb.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1[/B]
Pw = V²/R ----> R = V²/Pw ------> R = 240²/60 = 960Ω

Attempt 2

i (passing thrrough the circuit) = 5*10³ /240 = 20.83 A
i (passing through each light bulb) = 20.83/35 = 0.6 A

Pw (in each bulb) = i²R -----> R = Pw/i² ----> R = 60/ 0.6² = 166.667Ω

Why do I get different results?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:
i (passing thrrough the circuit) = 5*10³ /240 = 20.83 A
i (passing through each light bulb) = 20.83/35 = 0.6 A

Pw (in each bulb) = i²R -----> R = Pw/i² ----> R = 240/ 0.6² = 666.666Ω

Why do I get different results?
Because your second method doesn't make any sense. You are treating the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE power output as though it were all being used.

The 5 kW only appears on the name plate of the generator: I can deliver 21 A. In the case of 35 bulbs x 60 W it only has to deliver just over 2 kW.

Just because it is a generator capable of putting out 5kWatts does not mean that is the actual total power it puts out. 35 bulbs x60 watts/bulb=2100 watts. (I see 2 others, @phinds and @BvU gave essentially the same answer, just ahead of me.)

The 5kW rating of a generator is the maximum rating. It will only provide 5kW if the resistance you use is low enough.
The same thing is usually true of current ratings of power supplies. The voltage is constant, as long as no more than the maximum power or current is drawn.
If you would use 140 lamps, for instance, they would have a resistance of 240Ω, and the generator would have to produce more than 5kw and one or more of the following would likely happen:
- The output voltage of the generator would become lower than 240 V.
- a fuse will blow
- The generator would get damaged
- Whatever the power source of the generator is would get damaged

Ok, guys, I will correct this. Here we are:
i = 2100/240 = 8.75 A
i (in each bulb) = 8.75/ 35 = 0.25 A
Pw = i²/R -----> R = Pw/i² = 60/0.25² = 960 Ω

Ok, I got the same result, thank you!

Likes Charles Link
Asmaa Mohammad said:
Ok, guys, I will correct this. Here we are:
i = 2100/240 = 8.75 A
i (in each bulb) = 8.75/ 35 = 0.25 A
Pw = i²/R -----> R = Pw/i² = 60/0.25² = 960 Ω

Ok, I got the same result, thank you!
Sometimes a question setter will provide unnecessary information. Part of the challenge is to figure out which information is relevant. (I like that because that is what happens in the real world.)
Can you see how you could have gone straight to the answer without knowing anything about the generator?

haruspex said:
Can you see how you could have gone straight to the answer without knowing anything about the generator?
That's what I did in Attempt 1 in #1, I used the information printed on the bulb itself (the power and the voltage).

Asmaa Mohammad said:
That's what I did in Attempt 1 in #1, I used the information printed on the bulb itself (the power and the voltage).
Ok, sorry for the noise.

haruspex said:
Ok, sorry for the noise.
No, no, you made me aware that it is sometimes will give me unnecessary information. I should know what to use and what to not.
Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of measuring the resistance value of bulbs?

The purpose of measuring the resistance value of bulbs is to determine their ability to resist the flow of electric current. This can help in selecting the appropriate bulb for a specific circuit and ensuring the overall safety and efficiency of the circuit.

2. How is the resistance value of bulbs measured?

The resistance value of bulbs is measured using a multimeter, which is a device that can measure voltage, current, and resistance. The bulb is connected to the multimeter and a small amount of voltage is applied to the circuit. The multimeter then measures the current flowing through the bulb and calculates the resistance value using Ohm's Law (Resistance = Voltage/Current).

3. What factors can affect the resistance value of bulbs?

The resistance value of bulbs can be affected by factors such as the type of material used for the filament, the length and thickness of the filament, the temperature of the filament, and the overall design of the bulb. These factors can impact how easily electric current can flow through the bulb and therefore affect its resistance value.

4. Why is it important to measure the resistance value of bulbs?

It is important to measure the resistance value of bulbs because it can provide important information about the quality and efficiency of the bulb. A higher resistance value may indicate that the bulb is nearing the end of its lifespan or that it is not suitable for the specific circuit it is being used in. By measuring the resistance value, potential issues can be identified and addressed before they cause any problems.

5. How can the resistance value of bulbs be used in practical applications?

The resistance value of bulbs can be used in practical applications such as designing and building electrical circuits, selecting the appropriate bulb for a specific circuit, and troubleshooting any issues with the bulb or circuit. It can also be used to compare the efficiency of different types of bulbs and make informed decisions on which bulb to use for specific purposes.