Power and Resistance: Relation between 100W, 60W and 40W Bulb Resistances

In summary, the resistance of incandescent bulbs increases with temperature and is related to power, voltage, and resistance through the equation P = V^2/R. The correct relation between the resistances of 100 W, 60 W, and 40 W bulbs is that 1/R100 > 1/R60 > 1/R40. Option A is incorrect because it does not take into account the temperature dependence of the resistance. The correct answer is option D.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Incandescent bulbs are designed by keeping in mind that the resistance of their filament increases with an increase in temperature. If at room temperature, 100 W, 60 W and 40 W bulbs have filament resistances R100, R60 and R40, respectively, the relation between these resistances is:

(A) ## \dfrac{1}{R_{100}} = \dfrac{1}{R_{40}} + \dfrac{1}{R_{60}} ##

(B) ## R_{100} = R_{40} + R_{60} ##

(C) ## R_{100} > R_{60} > R_{40} ##

(D) ## \dfrac{1}{R_{100}} > \dfrac{1}{R_{60}} > \dfrac{1}{R_{40}} ##

Homework Equations

P = ##I^2R##
P = ##\frac{V^2}{R}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am extremely confused on this one. I think if we connected them all in series, which would mean that the current flowing through all three bulbs is the same, the resistance of each of them would increase, so power would increase but then this would decrease the current, so the power would still be the same etc. Then I tried similar things with fixed voltages, but I keep going around in circles, so if anyone could give me a starting point?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget connecting them in series. Just think about each bulb connected to the same voltage V on it's own.

What is the equation that relates the power P, resistance R and voltage V ?

Actually I see you quoted the relevant equation

P = V2/R

Rearrange that to give three equations for R100, R60 and R40.

That would give option A

I did that but don't you think the first line of the problem should be used somehow?

The one about resistance is dependent on temperature?

erisedk said:
That would give option A

Answer A is a trap :-)

Have a think about the other three. Two are easy to disprove.

Yeah, (B) and (C) are pretty obviously wrong. (D) is surely right, and it is indeed the answer. But why is A wrong?

A is only correct if you ignore that bit about the resistance increasing with temperature. A bulb that burns 100W will be hotter than a 60 or 40W.

It looks like the examiner put an almost correct answer first on the list to trap people that don't bother to check if other answers are even more correct. It's no coincidence the right answer is at the bottom of the list :-)

Thanks! :)

1. How is the resistance of a bulb related to its power output?

The resistance of a bulb is directly proportional to its power output. This means that as the power output increases, so does the resistance. This relationship is known as Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.

2. What is the relationship between the resistances of 100W, 60W, and 40W bulbs?

The relationship between the resistances of these bulbs can be determined using Ohm's law. Since power is equal to voltage times current, the resistance of a 100W bulb will be higher than that of a 60W bulb, and the resistance of a 60W bulb will be higher than that of a 40W bulb.

3. Why do higher wattage bulbs have higher resistances?

Higher wattage bulbs have higher resistances because they are designed to draw more current and produce more light. This increased current flow results in a higher resistance to maintain the balance of Ohm's law.

4. How does resistance affect the brightness of a bulb?

Resistance plays a crucial role in determining the brightness of a bulb. As resistance increases, the amount of current that can flow through the bulb decreases, resulting in lower brightness. This is why lower wattage bulbs appear dimmer than higher wattage bulbs.

5. Can the resistance of a bulb be changed?

Yes, the resistance of a bulb can be changed by altering its design. For example, using a thinner or longer filament in an incandescent bulb will increase its resistance, resulting in a dimmer light. Additionally, using different materials with varying resistances in LED or fluorescent bulbs can also affect their overall resistance and brightness.