Measuring the rotation curve of galaxies

In summary, to make astrophysical measurements from open data, you should start by acquiring an understanding of the SPARC database, which contains a large body of data for measuring rotation speeds of galaxies. This can be done by reading literature by Stacy McGaugh and taking courses. You can also explore the vast body of theory on measuring astrophysical distance and spectral analysis by going through references and textbooks such as Binney & Tremaine and Bovy's Interactive Galaxies Textbook.
accdd
What should I learn to make astrophysical measurements from open data?
Suppose I want to measure the rotation speed of galaxies to generate galactic rotation curves like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_rotation_curve
What should I do and what should I learn?
I think I should get some data from a radio telescope, measure the distance to the galaxy and compare the emission frequencies of the left and right sides. Anything else?
How is everything done in a scientifically correct way?
I have chosen "I" as the level of the question, but any answer of any level is welcome, even "B" and "A"
Thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
accdd said:
What should I do and what should I learn?
You could start with this paper which summarizes what has been analyzed from the SPARC database -- which already contains a large body of data for the measurements you wanted. I.e., you'd learn a lot just by acquiring an understanding of how the SPARC database was produced, much of which is explained in the literature by Stacy McGaugh and in his courses.

If you follow its references backwards, you'll eventually get into (i.e., devoured by) the vast body of theory about measuring astrophysical distance, spectral analysis, and so on. :oldfrown:

There's encyclopaedic textbooks like Binney & Tremaine. Also Bovy's Interactive Galaxies Textbook.

Likes vanhees71, accdd and malawi_glenn

1. What is the rotation curve of a galaxy?

The rotation curve of a galaxy is a graph that shows the relationship between the rotational velocity of stars or gas in the galaxy and their distance from the center. It is used to study the mass distribution and dynamics of galaxies.

2. How is the rotation curve of a galaxy measured?

The rotation curve of a galaxy is measured by observing the Doppler shift of light from stars or gas in the galaxy. This shift in wavelength can be used to calculate the velocity of the object relative to the observer, which can then be plotted against the distance from the center of the galaxy.

3. What can we learn from measuring the rotation curve of a galaxy?

Measuring the rotation curve of a galaxy can provide valuable information about the distribution of mass within the galaxy. It can also help us understand the dynamics of the galaxy, such as the presence of dark matter and the overall stability of the galaxy.

4. Why is it important to measure the rotation curve of galaxies?

Studying the rotation curve of galaxies is important because it allows us to test and refine our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. It also helps us better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the role of dark matter in the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring the rotation curve of galaxies?

Yes, there are some limitations to measuring the rotation curve of galaxies. One limitation is that it can be difficult to accurately measure the rotation curve for galaxies that are very far away. Additionally, the rotation curve may be affected by other factors such as the presence of multiple galaxies or the effects of gravitational lensing.