Measuring the speed of sound in an iron tube

In summary, the conversation discusses a physical experiment involving measuring the speed of sound in air using an iron tube and a speaker connected to a frequency generator. The individual is seeking advice on how to isolate the sound of the frequency generator and reduce experimental error. Suggestions include using a pair of microphones and digital recorder to sample the signals simultaneously and considering the expected values of speed, wavelength, and frequency. The conversation also mentions a website with a standard lab experiment for reference.
bolzano95
For physical experiment I have a project in which I have to measure the speed of sound in the air.

1. If I take an iron tube (inside is air) and a speaker,
2. put the speaker at the beginning of a tube,
3. speaker is connected to frequency generator (with which I can change frequencies),
4. turn the generator on,

How can I determine when the sound given by iron tube is 'the loudest' if beside I have speaker which also gives sound through generator?
I'm interested how to isolate the sound of frequency generator.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need a pair of microphones and digital recorder that can sample the two signals simultaneously.

Have you thought about the speed of sound you expect and the anticipated wavelength and frequency?

Honestly, I haven't thought about expected values. What worries me more is experimental error I'm going to get and I got a feeling it will be quite big.
I'm at beginning and collecting ideas, because I don't want to copy-paste experiments from youtube.

bolzano95 said:
Honestly, I haven't thought about expected values. What worries me more is experimental error I'm going to get
The two are related, that is why I ask. Forget the tube for a minute and just think about measuring the speed of sound in air. Once you have figured that out then you can place the tube in the middle and see how it changes.

I feel like perhaps you guys are overthinking things here. Perhaps in jusr missing something, but a series of sound pulses from a speaker and two transducers should give a pretty good answer by employing a cross-spectrum.

What is the purpose of measuring the speed of sound in an iron tube?

The purpose of measuring the speed of sound in an iron tube is to understand the properties of sound waves and how they travel through different mediums. This information can also be used in various industries, such as engineering and construction, to ensure proper design and functionality of structures and equipment.

How is the speed of sound in an iron tube measured?

The speed of sound in an iron tube is typically measured by using a timed experiment. A sound source, such as a tuning fork or speaker, is placed at one end of the tube and a microphone is placed at the other end. The time it takes for the sound wave to travel through the tube and reach the microphone is then recorded and used to calculate the speed of sound.

What factors can affect the speed of sound in an iron tube?

The speed of sound in an iron tube can be affected by various factors, such as the temperature and humidity of the air inside the tube, the length and diameter of the tube, and the material and thickness of the tube's walls.

Why is an iron tube typically used for measuring the speed of sound?

An iron tube is often used for measuring the speed of sound because iron is a dense, solid material that allows sound waves to travel with minimal interference. It also has a high melting point and is not easily affected by changes in temperature, making it a reliable material for conducting experiments.

What are some practical applications of knowing the speed of sound in an iron tube?

Knowing the speed of sound in an iron tube can be useful in various industries, such as designing and testing pipelines, understanding the behavior of sound in musical instruments, and creating accurate soundproofing materials. It can also be used in scientific research and experiments to study the properties of sound waves and their effects on different materials.