Mechanical advantage ideal systems

In summary, an engineer has designed a machine that has a mechanical advantage of 2. When he steps on the machine, the platform rises straight up. The machine cannot be adjusted, and the platform can be lowered a maximum of 10 meters.
brake4country

Homework Statement

An engineer with mass 100 kg has designed an ideal mechanical advantage machine shown below. Platforms 1 and 2 are attached to the machine. When he steps on platform 1, platform 2 rises straight up. The maximum weight that he can lift using his machine in this manner is twice his own. The mechanical advantage of the machine cannot be adjusted. Platform 1 can be lowered a maximum of 10 m.

Question:

Assume mass m is twice the mass of the engineer and the engineer gives himself a push downwards to get moving. Including the push, the work done on the mass as platform 2 rises to its top height of 5 m will be equal to:
(A) the original potential energy of the engineer
(B) the final kinetic energy of the engineer
(C) the original potential energy of the engineer plus half of the final kinetic energy of the engineer
(D) the original potential energy of the engineer minus the final kinetic energy of the engineer.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this problem but it appears that there is a tradeoff between PE and KE.

Attachments

• diagram 1.docx
    28.1 KB · Views: 186
Physics news on Phys.org
brake4country said:

Homework Statement

An engineer with mass 100 kg has designed an ideal mechanical advantage machine shown below. Platforms 1 and 2 are attached to the machine. When he steps on platform 1, platform 2 rises straight up. The maximum weight that he can lift using his machine in this manner is twice his own. The mechanical advantage of the machine cannot be adjusted. Platform 1 can be lowered a maximum of 10 m.

Question:

Assume mass m is twice the mass of the engineer and the engineer gives himself a push downwards to get moving. Including the push, the work done on the mass as platform 2 rises to its top height of 5 m will be equal to:
(A) the original potential energy of the engineer
(B) the final kinetic energy of the engineer
(C) the original potential energy of the engineer plus half of the final kinetic energy of the engineer
(D) the original potential energy of the engineer minus the final kinetic energy of the engineer.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this problem but it appears that there is a tradeoff between PE and KE.
We ask that you not put your work into a proprietary file format. For one thing, some people don't have Word and can't see what is in that file. It would be easy enough to upload that image some way, as I did below.
Capture_4.PNG

It does involve conservation of energy, also the work-energy theorem.

Show us an attempt. You have over 100 posts, so you should know how things work at PF.

I apologize about the Word format. I posted before and it wasn't a problem. I will copy and paste from now on.

So, back to the question above, I separated the problem into 2 components. Work done by the man and work done by the mass. Acceleration 10 m/s^2 is used for this problem.

Man: W = PE + KE = Fd + 1/2 mv^2 = 10000 J + 50 v^2 } v = 14 m/s
Mass: W = PE + KE = Fd + 1/2 mv^2 = 10000 J + 100 v^2 } v = 10 m/s

Interpretation: The PE's are the same in each problem, 10000 J, but the velocity resulting from the kinetic energy is almost half that of the mass (of the box). So, A & B are out because the work done on the mass (box) is not equal to the PE and KE of the engineer respectively. C and D are candidates but I chose C (which is the right answer) because original PE is equal for both and the velocity of the engineer is approx. half that of the engineer.

I need a second pair of eyes to check and see if I am working this problem out the right way. Thanks!

1. What is mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of the force amplification achieved by using a machine or mechanical system. It compares the output force of a system to the input force required to make it work.

2. What are ideal systems in terms of mechanical advantage?

Ideal systems are hypothetical systems that have no friction or energy loss. In terms of mechanical advantage, this means that the output force is equal to the input force, resulting in a mechanical advantage of 1.

3. How is mechanical advantage calculated?

Mechanical advantage is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. For ideal systems, this results in a mechanical advantage of 1.

4. What are some examples of mechanical advantage in real-world systems?

Some examples of mechanical advantage in real-world systems include levers, pulleys, and gears. These systems use mechanical advantage to increase the output force and make tasks easier to accomplish.

5. How does mechanical advantage impact efficiency?

Mechanical advantage can improve the efficiency of a system by reducing the amount of input force needed to achieve a desired output force. However, in non-ideal systems, there may be energy losses due to friction, which can decrease efficiency.