Mechanical Eng. Undergrad then Aerospace Eng. Graduate?

In summary, the individual is a grade 11 student in Canada with a goal to become an aerospace engineer. They are considering starting with a Mechanical Engineering undergrad and then pursuing Aerospace Engineering as a graduate degree. They are concerned about the impact on their chances of being hired and their knowledge on aerospace-related topics. The expert responds by stating that many engineers take the ME to AE route and it should not affect their hireability. They also mention that having a strong foundation in mechanical engineering can help with adapting to aerospace concepts. They advise the individual to choose a university and program that aligns with their interests and goals, rather than limiting themselves to just the 3 universities in Ontario that offer AE as an undergrad.
Jeff1741
Okay, so I'm a grade 11 student in Canada, and my goal is to become an aerospace engineer. For the past few months I've been doing research and though that Carleton University's Aerospace Engineering program seemed good.

However, after reading various threads on this site, I'm contemplating starting off with a Mechanical Engineering undergrad, and then going into Aerospace as a graduate degree. Thoughts? Will this affect my chances of being hired? Will it reduce my knowledge on aerospace-related topics? If I were to attend a university that didn't offer an undergrad in AE (saw UWO), and then got my graduate degree (Masters probably) in AE, would that be a problem? Will I know enough about aerospace related stuff to get hired?

If I went the ME-AE route, I would have the opportunity to select between many more universities than the 3 in Ontario that offer AE as an undergrad.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Many people do the ME to AE route. I did it and have been no worse for wear. You should be no less hireable, especially since ME and AE are largely interchangeable courses of study for many jobs. The only exception are the few areas that one degree covers that the other doesn't, but those are fairly few.

As an internet forum user, I can't give you specific advice on what path to take for your career, but I can share my thoughts and experiences. First of all, it's great that you have a clear goal in mind and have been doing research on different universities and programs. That shows dedication and determination, which are important qualities for any aspiring engineer.

Regarding your question about starting with a Mechanical Engineering undergrad and then pursuing Aerospace Engineering as a graduate degree, I don't think it will negatively affect your chances of being hired. In fact, many engineers have degrees in a related field and then specialize in a specific area through graduate studies or on-the-job training. It can give you a broader understanding of engineering principles and make you a well-rounded engineer.

In terms of knowledge on aerospace-related topics, it will depend on the specific courses and projects you take during your undergrad and graduate studies. However, I believe that if you have a strong foundation in mechanical engineering, you can easily adapt and learn the necessary aerospace concepts and skills.

Attending a university that doesn't offer an undergrad in Aerospace Engineering shouldn't be a problem as long as they have a strong graduate program in that field. What matters most is the quality of education and the opportunities for hands-on experience and research.

Ultimately, it's important to choose a university and program that aligns with your interests and goals. Don't limit yourself to just the 3 universities in Ontario that offer AE as an undergrad. Explore other options and consider factors like the faculty, research opportunities, and industry connections.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering?

Mechanical Engineering is a broad field that involves the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and machines. It covers a wide range of industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. Aerospace Engineering is a specialized branch of Mechanical Engineering that focuses specifically on the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. How long does it take to complete a Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree?

Typically, a Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree takes 4 years to complete. However, some universities offer accelerated programs that can be completed in 3 years, while others offer co-op or internship options which may extend the program to 5 years.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering with a Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering with a Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree. Many universities offer a combined program where students can earn both degrees in 5-6 years. However, some universities may require additional prerequisite courses or experience in aerospace-related internships or projects.

4. What skills are important to have for a successful career in Aerospace Engineering?

Some important skills for a successful career in Aerospace Engineering include strong mathematical and technical skills, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, creativity, and communication skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with hands-on projects and internships can be beneficial.

5. What are the job opportunities for graduates with degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering?

Graduates with degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, defense, and manufacturing. Some common job roles include Aerospace Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Design Engineer, Project Engineer, and Manufacturing Engineer. Graduates may also choose to pursue research or teaching positions in academia.