Mechanical Engineering student about to lose his mind

In summary: Brandon,In summary, Brandon is a second year student at Salt Lake Community College who is about to finish his associates of science pre-engineering and transfer to the University of Utah in the fall. He is feeling lost and confused sometimes and is struggling to remember how to do things from previous courses. Brandon says it is normal to feel this way and advises staying consistent with using past knowledge and resources.
Brandon Corwin
I am a second year student at Salt Lake Community College. About to finish my associates of science pre-engineering. I transfer to the University of Utah in the fall to start my junior year and I am kind of freeking out. I have worked my tail off. I work a full time job and take night classes at 3/4 time (3 classes a semester) and maintain a 3.4 GPA.

Lately I feel like I haven't learned a thing. I am taking classes now that are starting to draw on knowledge gained from previous courses. An example would be, my strengths of materials class is requiring a lot what I learned in statics. Only now, I have a hard time applying what I learned in statics because I can't remember how to do it. I feel lost and confused sometimes. It only takes a few moments to look up the information to remember how to do it but I feel like I should know this stuff. Like it should just role of the tounge or flow on to paper with ease.

I don't know. I guess I'm trying to reach out to people and see how they felt as engineering students. Is this kind of thing normal? Feeling lost in a field of study you have so much interest in? How the hell am I supposed remember thousands of different equations, properties and... things?

Ugh... Brain fried.. Going to sleep.

Thanks for listening,

Brandon

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say it's completely normal, and it's something you get used to over time. I've gone months without using things I've learned in past classes and then all of a sudden had to go and 'dig out that old textbook' (never throw out/sell your textbooks!). It's all part of the process, and you do get better at it.

The most important thing is that you understand the new material and content presented to you in your course as best you can. This step is paramount (my opinion) to being able to easily revise old content in the future.

Likes CynicusRex
It is definitely normal to feel that way. I felt that way when I was an engineering student. Its easy to forget methods that you learn in classes if you don't use them on a daily or weekly basis.

It seems that you have retained a good understanding of how to apply these methods because when you reference or review a topic it coms back to you quickly.Just look back to when you first learned statics concepts/methods. It was probably much harder to apply those methods at first because you had never used them before. Now that you have some experience using them, all it takes is a quick reminder of how the system works. that is a good sign. That shows that you have an understanding of the topic.

Being a good at solving engineering problems doesn't have anything to do with memorizing things, it is more about being able to find the answer using your resources. Which you seem to be able to do.

-Civil engineering grad

I'm in the same situation as you, although perhaps a bit further along. I'll be finishing up my junior year after this semester (after 6 years of school and full time work), and I still forget about specific details wrt to many of my previous courses. I honestly can not count how many times I've had to revisit good old Trina Van Ausdal's youtube physics videos for things that should, at this point, be fully ingrained.
The crossover doesn't stop either. I think this is exactly why universities have so much overlap on these subject is precisely because this continuous repetition makes it finally sink in. You're doing statics in Mech of materials, just wait until you have to fully revisit Mech of Materials in a machine design course. It gets a bit monotonous, but keep at it and use whatever resources you have. Structurefree is a great YouTube channel for Mechanics of Materials and Dynamics.

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of mechanical systems. This can include anything from machines and vehicles to power generation systems and robotics.

What does it mean to "lose your mind" as a mechanical engineering student?

This phrase typically refers to the intense stress and pressure that mechanical engineering students experience due to the challenging coursework and demanding schedules. It can also refer to feeling overwhelmed and on the verge of burnout.

How can a mechanical engineering student cope with the stress?

There are several strategies that can help a mechanical engineering student manage their stress levels. These include prioritizing tasks, taking breaks, seeking support from classmates and professors, and practicing self-care activities such as exercise and meditation.

What are some common challenges faced by mechanical engineering students?

Some common challenges for mechanical engineering students include heavy workloads, complex and abstract concepts, and balancing coursework with internships or part-time jobs. Time management, teamwork, and technical problem-solving skills are also essential for success in this field.

What career opportunities are available for mechanical engineering students?

Mechanical engineering graduates can find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and energy. They may work as design engineers, project managers, research and development engineers, or consultants. With further education and experience, they can also advance into leadership roles.