Mechanical Properties of polymers

In summary, the main mechanical properties of polymers include tensile strength, compressive strength, impact strength, flexural strength, and shear strength. These properties are influenced by factors such as the type of polymer, molecular weight, processing conditions, and environmental conditions. Specialized equipment such as tensile testing machines and impact testers are used to test these properties. Polymers with different mechanical properties are used in various applications, such as in the automobile industry and construction materials.
camimfajardo
Hello everyone,

I've had a hard time finding places where to look up the different mechanical properties of polymers. I am mainly interested in density, young's, bulk, and shear moduli. I would appreciate if anybody can point me out to some good resources.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi camimfajardo, welcome to PF. The Modern Plastics Handbook is pretty good.

1. What are the different types of mechanical properties of polymers?

The main mechanical properties of polymers include tensile strength, compressive strength, impact strength, flexural strength, and shear strength. Other properties may also include hardness, elasticity, and creep resistance.

2. How do mechanical properties of polymers differ from other materials?

Polymers have a much wider range of mechanical properties compared to other materials due to their molecular structure. They can be designed to be stiff and strong or flexible and elastic, depending on their intended use.

3. What factors can affect the mechanical properties of polymers?

The mechanical properties of polymers can be affected by various factors such as the type of polymer, its molecular weight, processing conditions, and any additives or reinforcements used. Environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can also impact the mechanical properties.

4. How are mechanical properties of polymers tested?

Mechanical properties of polymers are typically tested using specialized equipment such as a tensile testing machine or an impact tester. These tests measure the amount of force a material can withstand before breaking or deforming.

5. What are some common applications of polymers based on their mechanical properties?

Polymers with high tensile strength and impact resistance are often used in the automobile industry for parts such as bumpers and dashboards. Flexible and elastic polymers are commonly used in clothing and footwear. Polymers with high compressive strength are used in construction materials such as pipes and insulation.