How Do You Calculate Forces and Motion for Loaded and Unloaded Lorries?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanical systems engineering assignment involving a lorry's acceleration, velocity, and distance traveled. The conversation also includes questions about the force required to accelerate and stop the lorry, the total time and distance traveled, and the % change in momentum of the lorry. The relevant equations for this assignment are also mentioned.
enrmmell
Mechanical systems - Please help me with this question! :(

Person_Number M (kg) D (m) R (m/s2)

<431383> 2700 60 1.4

Mechanical Systems Engineering

Assignment 1

An unloaded lorry of mass M kg accelerates from rest and reaches a velocity of 30mph in 10 seconds. It then travels at constant velocity for half a minute before the driver applies the brakes and brings the vehicle to rest over a distance of D m.
The lorry is then loaded with 800 kg of building materials that need to be transported over a total distance of 0.6 km. After loading, the lorry accelerates over a distance of 80m to attain a velocity of 30mph again. The vehicle subsequently maintains constant velocity before decelerating to rest at a rate of R m/s2.
Using only your own personal input data as given on the assignment 1 “input values” spreadsheet (penalties will result from not using your OWN data):-

a) Find for the unloaded lorry: ( 6 marks)

i) the force required to accelerate the vehicle, and the retarding force necessary to bring it to rest;
ii) the total time and the total distance traveled during this period.

b) Find for the loaded lorry : ( 7 marks)

i) the force required to accelerate the vehicle and the retarding force necessary to bring it
to rest;

ii) the total time taken during this period and the distance traveled at constant velocity.

c) Calculate the % change in the momentum of the lorry from loaded to unloaded, whilst traveling at the specified constant velocities. ( 3 marks)

d) Draw the ‘velocity-time’ graph of the motion of the lorry in its unloaded and loaded states, indicating clearly salient points and values. ( 4 marks) Relevant equations:
S=(u+v/2)t S = Displacement V = velocity A= acceleration

F= ma
Any help on this question would be extremely grateful as its just a little assignment i need to do - i don't have a clue how too :S I also have to sketch a VxT graph but i will be able to handle that haha :P any help would be grateful cheers guys

Regards mark
The Work i have done so far is

a = (v-u/t) = 30 - 0 /10 = 3ms^2

F = mxa = 2700 x 3 = 8100 N

8100 is the force required to accelerate?

Retarding force : m(-a) = 2700 x (-3) = -8100N ??

Total time.. = 50 seconds? distance traveld 15x50/2 = 375m ??

Am i correct or have i got it totally wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi enrmmell ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
enrmmell said:
Person_Number M (kg) D (m) R (m/s2)

<431383> 2700 60 1.4

An unloaded lorry of mass M kg accelerates from rest and reaches a velocity of 30mph in 10 seconds. It then travels at constant velocity for half a minute before the driver applies the brakes and brings the vehicle to rest over a distance of D m.
The lorry is then loaded with 800 kg of building materials that need to be transported over a total distance of 0.6 km. After loading, the lorry accelerates over a distance of 80m to attain a velocity of 30mph again. The vehicle subsequently maintains constant velocity before decelerating to rest at a rate of R m/s2.

The Work i have done so far is

a = (v-u/t) = 30 - 0 /10 = 3ms^2

erm :redface: … you need to convert 30mph into m/s :wink:

1. What is a mechanical system?

A mechanical system is a collection of interconnected mechanical elements that work together to perform a specific function or task. It involves the use of mechanical components such as gears, pulleys, levers, and motors to transfer energy and create motion.

2. What are some examples of mechanical systems?

Examples of mechanical systems include bicycles, cars, elevators, clocks, and engines. These systems use a combination of mechanical components to convert energy into useful work.

3. How do mechanical systems work?

Mechanical systems work by converting one form of energy into another. For example, a car engine converts chemical energy from gasoline into mechanical energy to power the vehicle. This conversion is achieved through the use of mechanical components that work together in a specific sequence.

4. What are the advantages of using mechanical systems?

Mechanical systems offer several advantages, including high efficiency, precision, and reliability. They are also versatile and can be designed to perform a wide range of tasks, from simple movements to complex operations.

5. How is the design of mechanical systems determined?

The design of a mechanical system is determined by the specific task it needs to perform. Engineers use principles of physics and mathematics to design systems that can efficiently and effectively perform the desired function. Factors such as materials, forces, and safety are also taken into consideration during the design process.