Mechanically remapping buttons on a flash recorder

• Thread starter k6055w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flash
In summary: I need to print a new housing that has a face plate that snaps on. I need your help. In summary, this person wants to make a button that transfers downward force to a sideways force, and they need help from the community to do so.
k6055w
I want to buy or build a button that transfers downward force to a sideways force. I’m adapting a voice recorder so my grandmother (who has a hard time pressing small buttons) can use it. Most reasonably priced flash recorders have buttons on the side and I want her to be able to access them from the front so that volume, back, and skip are immediately visible. I have a 3D printer so I was thinking of making a new housing with a faceplate for all the buttons to show through. Of course the buttons on the side of the recorder will have to be mechanically remapped. I hope that was clear. Anyone got an idea?

Engineering news on Phys.org
k6055w said:
I want to buy or build a button that transfers downward force to a sideways force. I’m adapting a voice recorder so my grandmother (who has a hard time pressing small buttons) can use it. Most reasonably priced flash recorders have buttons on the side and I want her to be able to access them from the front so that volume, back, and skip are immediately visible. I have a 3D printer so I was thinking of making a new housing with a faceplate for all the buttons to show through. Of course the buttons on the side of the recorder will have to be mechanically remapped. I hope that was clear. Anyone got an idea?

Welcome to the PF.

Can you post pics or a datasheet of what this recorder looks like? Would one option just be to make a holder that turned the recorder sideways so the buttons were facing up, and make larger button mechanisms that pushed down on the smaller buttons? What information on the face of the recorder needs to be relayed to the new top surface?

Thanks.

Here are two pictures: one showing the front and left side and one showing the front and right side. The volume controls are on the left side, skip/back are on the right side, and play/stop/record are on the front. Nearly every recorder on the market has a lot of controls on the sides. I want to be able to see and press every button from the face.

I removed the housing and circuits are printed on the underside of the board so I can't just bend them to face the front.

Attachments

• Recorder left side.jpg
    Recorder left side.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 451
  • Recorder right side.jpg
    Recorder right side.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 487

1. How do I remap buttons on a flash recorder?

To remap buttons on a flash recorder, you will need to access the device's settings menu. From there, you can look for an option to customize or remap buttons. The specific steps may vary depending on the model of your flash recorder, so it is best to consult the user manual for detailed instructions.

2. Why would I want to remap buttons on a flash recorder?

Remapping buttons on a flash recorder allows you to customize the device to better suit your needs and preferences. It can make certain functions more easily accessible and improve your overall user experience.

3. Can I remap any button on a flash recorder?

In most cases, you can only remap buttons that have been designated as customizable by the manufacturer. These are typically buttons with multiple functions or programmable buttons. Again, it is important to refer to the user manual for specific information about your device.

4. Will remapping buttons on a flash recorder affect its performance?

In general, remapping buttons should not affect the overall performance of your flash recorder. However, if you remap a button to perform a function that it was not originally intended for, it may not work as effectively or efficiently.

5. Can I undo button remapping on a flash recorder?

Yes, most flash recorders allow you to reset or revert to the default button mapping. This can usually be done through the settings menu or by performing a factory reset. Again, consult the user manual for specific instructions.