Mechanics Book for self learner?

In summary, the individual is planning on self-studying classical mechanics and is looking for book recommendations. They have purchased University Physics and Resnick/Jearl Physics but are now looking for a more advanced level book like Kleppner/Kolenkow. They are considering purchasing the K&K book but are also open to suggestions like Morin, French, Spivak, Goldstein, Taylor, and Feynman. They have decided to go with French's Newtonian Mechanics and have also been recommended Savov's book. They are also interested in tackling more challenging books like Landau/Lifshitz's trilogy or V. Arnold's "Mathematical Methods in Classical Mechanics" after completing French's mechanics. They are considering
CrunchBerries
I am planning on doing physics as I go through calc2/3/ODE/PDE.

I bought University Physics and the Resnick/Jearl Physics book, and frankly I want something a bit higher level.. more like Kleppner/Kolenkow.

I was thinking about getting the K&K book, but some people are suggesting Morin, French, Spivak, Goldstein, Taylor, Feynman etc..

I guess I'm asking which classical mechanics book would be a better self learner book, with available solutions somewhere.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
My personal choices are French' Newtonian Mechanics and K&K. I don't believe a solutions manual for K&K exists, and it is a challenging book. Self-study may be difficult but it is well worth going through.

Likes CrunchBerries
Thank you, ordered the AP French Mech book. It does have all the answers. Ill go through it slowly over time, if there are any issues with my attempts i might refer to another book to compliment. Maybe a more modern treatment like Morin.. looks like they are good complementary texts.

If you want a real challenge, I recommend the first volume of Landau/Lifshitz's trilogy in theoretical physics or V. Arnold's "Mathematical Methods in Classical Mechanics". They can be served as an excellent introduction to mechanics if you are willing to learn necessary concepts in mathematics as you go along the book.

Likes CrunchBerries
Thanks, looks like a good book in preparation to what I want to do, cheers!

bacte2013 said:
If you want a real challenge, I recommend the first volume of Landau/Lifshitz's trilogy in theoretical physics or V. Arnold's "Mathematical Methods in Classical Mechanics". They can be served as an excellent introduction to mechanics if you are willing to learn necessary concepts in mathematics as you go along the book.

This is probably going to be something I do after I complete French's mechanics. Looks like Landun/Lifshitz really turn the dial up, I think I'll need a solid basic physics/math background before I can tackle that. I think I will end up getting this and Purcell's E&M book when I finish my ODE/PDE courses.

CrunchBerries said:
This is probably going to be something I do after I complete French's mechanics. Looks like Landun/Lifshitz really turn the dial up, I think I'll need a solid basic physics/math background before I can tackle that. I think I will end up getting this and Purcell's E&M book when I finish my ODE/PDE courses.

By any chance, do you have a teacher, professor, or even graduate student who can invest his/her time to supervise your reading? L/L and Arnold were my first exposure to physics (except for AP Physics), and I did not have much trouble understanding the mechanics. Of course, I read the book under a supervision of a faculty member who can provide a high-quality explanation and derive equations. Although it is my personal opinion, L/L made basic concepts not precisely clear, which made me to actually come up with my own definitions and adjusted them with a supervisor's help. If you have someone very experience in physics that might be interested in doing a reading course with you, I highly recommend re-thinking about postponing L/L.

Also, you might also want to study calculus of variations and linear algebra (including topics such as tensor algebra) now (you seem to have sufficient prerequisites). They are heavily used not only in advanced mechanics but also other branches of physics (at least I know that they are used heavily in QM and relativity). I assume you already completed Calculus I-III?

1. What topics are covered in the mechanics book?

The mechanics book covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, work and energy, momentum, and rotational motion.

2. Is the book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the mechanics book is designed for self-learners and covers the basics of mechanics in an accessible way.

3. Are there practice problems included in the book?

Yes, the book includes a variety of practice problems and exercises to help reinforce the concepts learned.

4. Is the book based on a specific mathematical approach?

The mechanics book utilizes a combination of algebra and calculus, making it suitable for learners with different levels of mathematical background.

5. Can the book be used as a supplement to a college-level mechanics course?

Yes, the book can serve as a helpful supplement to a college-level mechanics course or as a self-study guide for those looking to improve their understanding of mechanics.