Mechanics. Gravitation and gravity

In summary: You should get the same answer.In summary, the average orbital radii of the Earth and Mars around the Sun are 1.5*10^11 m and 2.3*10^11 m, respectively. Using Kepler's third law, we can calculate the time it takes for Mars to complete its orbit by finding the ratio of the squared periods of Earth and Mars. This results in a time of 1.9 years for Mars to complete one orbit around the Sun. Additionally, we can also find the mass of the Sun by using the equation for Earth's orbital period and then plugging in the values for Mars, which will also result in a time of 1.9 years.
moenste

Homework Statement

The average orbital radii about the Sun of the Earth and Mars are 1.5*11^11 m and 2.3*11^11 m respectively. How many (Earth) years does it take Mars to complete its orbit?

Answer: 1.9 years.

Homework Equations

F = G * ((m1*m2) / r^2)
F = m*(w^2)*r
T^2 = (4Pi^2 / G*m)*r^3; m = m sun
g = (4Pi^2*rm^3)/(T^2*re^2); rm = radius Moon, re = radius Earth.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the answer using Kepler's third law.
http://www.studyphysics.ca/newnotes/20/unit02_circulargravitation/chp08_space/lesson34.htm
K = T^2 / r^3
T^2 = K * r^3
T^2 = 3.95*10^-29 * 2.3*10^11 = ans
T = ans^1/2
T = 693.25 days
-> 1.899 years = 1.9 years.

But I can't get the required answer using book formulas (A-Level Physics). E.g.: using the last equation I got (4*(pi^2)*((2.3*10^11 m)^3))/((9.8 ms^-1*((1.5*10^11 m)^2))^1/2)=1.02291 × 10^24 and if it is seconds -> 32.436 quadrillion years... Not even close to the 1.9 years answer.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your last equation. Please elaborate the cases in which it is used. And yes... learn a little bit of LaTex. It helps you to put your questions effectively. If not interested then you can always use the symbols given in the template when you click the sigma button. And those ##x^2## and ##x_2## options also help to put superscript and subscript.

Likes moenste
Possibly you did not apply the equation properly. For one thing, what is that 9.8 m/s value?

Likes moenste
mooncrater said:
I don't understand your last equation. Please elaborate the cases in which it is used. And yes... learn a little bit of LaTex. It helps you to put your questions effectively. If not interested then you can always use the symbols given in the template when you click the sigma button. And those ##x^2## and ##x_2## options also help to put superscript and subscript.
nasu said:
Possibly you did not apply the equation properly. For one thing, what is that 9.8 m/s value?
b756b2647794.jpg

So I changed rM to my given Mars radius and calculated.

The formula is derived from G * mmEarth / rEarth^2 = mg. "Newton's test of the inverse square law".

moenste said:
b756b2647794.jpg

So I changed rM to my given Mars radius and calculated.

The formula is derived from G * mmEarth / rEarth^2 = mg. "Newton's test of the inverse square law".
Did you also change the ##r_{earth}## to ##r_{sun}##? Since Mars is orbiting sun (not earth).

Likes moenste
I though you will use the formula above this one. It makes more sense. Why bother with g?
I hope you are aware that in that (last formula) rE is the radius of the Earth (not of some orbit).
If you want to use this you will need g on the surface of the Sun and radius of the Sun.
Do yo understand how these formulas were derived?

Likes moenste
mooncrater said:
Did you also change the ##r_{earth}## to ##r_{sun}##? Since Mars is orbiting sun (not earth).
Hm, I recalculated with both Sun and Mars radii, but didn't work out + as nasu pointed out, the previous formula is indeed a better way to solve the problem.

nasu said:
I though you will use the formula above this one. It makes more sense. Why bother with g?
I hope you are aware that in that (last formula) rE is the radius of the Earth (not of some orbit).
If you want to use this you will need g on the surface of the Sun and radius of the Sun.
Do yo understand how these formulas were derived?
I used the mentioned formula and got the 1.9 years answer:
T2 = (4π2 * (2.3*1011)3) / (6.7*10-11 * 1.989*1030)
T = 60 036 702.33 s
/60 (minutes) / 60 (hours) / 24 (days) / 365 (years) = 1.9 years

Though in that case the given Earth's orbit radius is of no use and I looked for the mSun number.

Yes indeeed the r is the planet radius and not orbit.

So now I have 2 formulas to solve the problem (the first one is in the first post in the attempts). But how can I solve the question using both orbital radii of Mars and Earth as given in the question?

Last edited:
You write the formula that gives T^2 for Earth and Mars (separately) and then take the ratio of the two. The mass of the sun will simplify so you don't need to look it up.
Actually you will end up with Kepler's law.
Or, on a longer path, but one that some students may find more intuitive, find mass of the Sun from the equation written for Earth (you know period) and then plug in the equation for Mars.

Likes moenste

1. What is the difference between mechanics and gravitation?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces, while gravitation is the force that attracts two objects towards each other.

2. How does gravity affect objects on Earth?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. It affects objects by giving them weight and causing them to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 m/s².

3. What is the law of universal gravitation?

The law of universal gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How does the strength of gravity change with distance?

The strength of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is described by the inverse square law, meaning that the strength of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity in a given location.