Mechanics in a rotor problem

In summary, the friction force is given by:-The friction force is given by the centripetal force multiplied by the static friction coefficient.-The minimum velocity for the person to not slide down is given by an equality between the friction force and the weight of the person.
0kelvin
The free boy diagram of one person inside the rotor should have three vectors: weight down, friction up, normal to the center of the cylinder.

Is friction force given by centripetal force * static friction coefficient? Normal and centripetal are the same vector in this problem.

Is minimum velocity for a person to not slide down given by an equality between friction force and weight? Mass cancels out in both sides.

The previous question makes me think there is a contradiction: weight of a person is not required to explain why the person "sticks" to the wall when the rotor is rotating. But I did use mass to calculate the friction force. In the second question I've noticed that the mass cancels out, but the equation gives me the impression that if v is high enough, friction would become greater than weight and therefore, person would slide up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
0kelvin said:
The free boy diagram of one person inside the rotor should have three vectors: weight down, friction up, normal to the center of the cylinder.

Is friction force given by centripetal force * static friction coefficient? Normal and centripetal are the same vector in this problem.

Is minimum velocity for a person to not slide down given by an equality between friction force and weight? Mass cancels out in both sides.

The previous question makes me think there is a contradiction: weight of a person is not required to explain why the person "sticks" to the wall when the rotor is rotating. But I did use mass to calculate the friction force. In the second question I've noticed that the mass cancels out, but the equation gives me the impression that if v is high enough, friction would become greater than weight and therefore, person would slide up.
Can you type the questions exactly as they are given? Written as they are now, the first question is incomprehensible. Even the second one is confusing.

Note that the friction force is given by [itex] \mu_s n [/itex] only when the friction force is maximum, i.e. when the person is about to slide down. In all other situations, when the person is not sliding, the friction force is simply equal to mg (and it is then NOT equal to [itex] \mu_s n [/itex])

What's the expression that calculates the friction force?

My take is: ##F = \mu_s \frac{mv^2}{r}## Because centripetal is the Normal.

What's the expression that calculates the minimum velocity for the the person to "stick" to the wall?

My take is: ##mg = \mu_s \frac{mv^2}{r}## Mass cancels out in both sides.

0kelvin said:
What's the expression that calculates the friction force?

My take is: ##F = \mu_s \frac{mv^2}{r}## Because centripetal is the Normal.

What's the expression that calculates the minimum velocity for the the person to "stick" to the wall?

My take is: ##mg = \mu_s \frac{mv^2}{r}## Mass cancels out in both sides.
You are right IF we are considering the case when the speed is minimum and the person is just on the point of sliding down. If the speed is larger then we have instead

[itex] F_s= mg [/itex] and [itex] n = m v^2/R [/itex]

but we do not have anymore the relation [itex] F = \mu_s n[/itex]

1. What is a rotor problem in mechanics?

A rotor problem in mechanics refers to a situation where a rotating body, such as a propeller or turbine, experiences forces and motion that need to be analyzed and understood in order to design and operate the body effectively.

2. What are the key factors to consider in a rotor problem?

The key factors to consider in a rotor problem include the geometry and design of the rotor, the material properties of the rotor, the forces acting on the rotor, and the desired performance of the rotor.

3. How do you calculate the stresses in a rotor?

The stresses in a rotor can be calculated using various equations and mathematical models, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the Timoshenko beam theory. These models take into account the geometry, material properties, and applied forces to determine the stresses in the rotor.

4. What are some common failure modes in rotors?

Common failure modes in rotors include fatigue failure due to repeated loading, stress corrosion cracking, creep deformation, and material degradation. These can result in cracks, fractures, and overall deterioration of the rotor, leading to failure.

5. How can rotor problems be prevented?

Rotor problems can be prevented by carefully considering the design and material selection of the rotor, regularly inspecting and maintaining the rotor, and operating the rotor within its designed limits. Proper analysis and understanding of the forces and stresses in the rotor can also help prevent potential problems.