Mechanics in cartesian coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the largest possible value of θ if the distance of a cannon ball from the cannon is to increase throughout its flight. The solution involves taking the derivative of x^2 + y^2 with respect to time and setting it equal to zero, which results in the condition for dR/dT=0. The conversation also includes a visual representation of the distance and height as a function of time for different values of θ.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

A cannon shoots a ball at an angle θ above the horizontal ground. (a) Neglecting air resistance, use Newton's second law to find the ball's position as a function of time. (Use axes with x measured horizontally and y vertically.) (b) Let r(t) denote the ball's distance from the cannon. What is the largest possible value of θ if r (t) is to increase throughout the ball's flight? [Hint: Using your solution to part (a) you can write down r^2 as x^2 + y^2 , and then find the condition that r^2 is always increasing.]

Homework Equations

x(t) = (vicosθ)t
y(t) = (visinθ)t -1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

While the part for 'a' was a piece of cake (equations in "relevant equations" above), I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to deal with 'b'. From the hint, I was thinking you take x^2 + y^2, take the derivative of it with respect to θ, then set it to 0 to find what values of θ it will be increasing for. However, I tried this and with how many trig values I ended up with in the equation, I am not even sure how to find the zeros for the function, so I can't discern where it will be zero. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In case it was the right approach, taking the derivative of x^2 + y^2 gave me this:

2vi^2t^2sinθcosθ - 2vi^2t^2cosθsinθ - gvit^3cosθ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess this is a fairly difficult one, as you guy normally never take this long to toss me some hints. I've skipped over it and done other problems, but still can't figure out what to do on this one.

Ascendant78 said:

Homework Statement

A cannon shoots a ball at an angle θ above the horizontal ground. (a) Neglecting air resistance, use Newton's second law to find the ball's position as a function of time. (Use axes with x measured horizontally and y vertically.) (b) Let r(t) denote the ball's distance from the cannon. What is the largest possible value of θ if r (t) is to increase throughout the ball's flight? [Hint: Using your solution to part (a) you can write down r^2 as x^2 + y^2 , and then find the condition that r^2 is always increasing.]

Homework Equations

x(t) = (vicosθ)t

While the part for 'a' was a piece of cake (equations in "relevant equations" above), I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to deal with 'b'. From the hint, I was thinking you take x^2 + y^2, take the derivative of it with respect to θ, then set it to 0 to find what values of θ it will be increasing for. However, I tried this and with how many trig values I ended up with in the equation, I am not even sure how to find the zeros for the function, so I can't discern where it will be zero. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In case it was the right approach, taking the derivative of x^2 + y^2 gave me this:

2vi^2t^2sinθcosθ - 2vi^2t^2cosθsinθ - gvit^3cosθ

r2 is a function of 't' , not θ . You need to differentiate w.r.t 't' .

Likes 1 person
Ascendant78 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x(t) = (vicosθ)t

While the part for 'a' was a piece of cake (equations in "relevant equations" above), I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to deal with 'b'. From the hint, I was thinking you take x^2 + y^2, take the derivative of it with respect to θ

The distance between the ball and the cannon, ##R=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## has to increase after the ball is shoot out, but it can reach a maximum and then decrease for a while. To have a maximum, dR/dT has to be equal to zero.

Take the derivative of R with respect to time and see if it can be zero.

As R can not be negative, the condition for dR/dT=0 is the same as for d(R2)/dT=0
Apply the chain rule of differentiation...
The first figure shows R(t) and y(t) if V0=20 m/s and θ=80 degrees. The region where R decreases is clearly seen. The second picture is the same for θ=45 degrees: R inceases during the whole flight.

ehild

ehild

Attachments

• projectdist.jpg
    projectdist.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 439
  • projectdist45.jpg
    projectdist45.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 432
= 0

Simplifying, we get:

2vi^2t^2sinθcosθ - 2vi^2t^2cosθsinθ - gvit^3cosθ = 0

Using the trig identity sinθcosθ = 1/2sin(2θ), we get:

2vi^2t^2(1/2sin(2θ)) - 2vi^2t^2(1/2sin(2θ)) - gvit^3cosθ = 0

This simplifies to:

gvit^3cosθ = 0

We can see that this equation will equal 0 when cosθ = 0, which occurs at θ = π/2. This means that the largest possible value of θ for r(t) to increase throughout the ball's flight is π/2, or 90 degrees. This makes sense, as shooting the ball straight up (90 degrees) will result in the greatest increase in distance traveled.

What is the definition of mechanics in Cartesian coordinates?

Mechanics in Cartesian coordinates is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in a three-dimensional space using Cartesian coordinates, which are based on the x,y, and z axes.

What are the main principles of mechanics in Cartesian coordinates?

The main principles of mechanics in Cartesian coordinates include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the principle of virtual work.

What are the advantages of using Cartesian coordinates in mechanics?

Cartesian coordinates offer a simple and intuitive way to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object. They also make it easier to solve complex problems involving multiple forces and directions.

How is motion described in Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, motion is described using vectors that represent both the magnitude and direction of an object's displacement. These vectors can be added and subtracted to determine the total displacement of an object.

What are some real-life applications of mechanics in Cartesian coordinates?

Mechanics in Cartesian coordinates is used in various fields such as engineering, robotics, and physics to analyze and design systems that involve motion. Examples include designing a car's suspension system, programming a robot's movement, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile.