Line integral where a vector field is given in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of a vector field A along a half-circle curve with radius 1 and center at (0,1,0). The curve is parameterized as x = r cos t, y = 1 + r sin t, and z = z. The integral is rewritten as integral A dot l(t) dt with limits from 0 to pi. The issue is transforming A into cartesian coordinates. The correct limits for the integral are from -pi/2 to pi/2. There is some uncertainty about the solution, but the procedure is correct. The final integral is equal to (8z + 2)/3.
goohu
Homework Statement
see image
Relevant Equations
equation of circles; radius = x^2 + y^2
What I've done so far:

From the problem we know that the curve c is a half-circle with radius 1 with its center at (x,y) = (0, 1).

We can rewrite x = r cos t and y = 1 + r sin t, where r = 1 and 0<t<pi. z stays the same, so z=z.

We can then write l(t) = [x(t), y(t), z ] and solve for dl/dt.

The integral can be rewritten as integral A dot l(t) dt, with the limits as 0 and pi.Now everything would be fine if the vector field A was given in cartesian coordinates but its not. You could transform different coordinate systems but I can't figure it out. Could someone please show me how to start on the last steps?

I know how to transform specific coordinates but I'm having trouble transforming a whole function. If we can express A in cartesian form then we can use scalar multiplication in the last step to solve the problem.

Attachments

• 20200417-112428_p0 (1).jpg
    20200417-112428_p0 (1).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
goohu said:
We can rewrite x = r cos t and y = r sin t, where r = 1 and 0<t<pi.
No, that does not put the centre of the arc at (0,1,0). Did you mean y=1+ r sin(t)?

yes, my bad.

I made a mistake during the parameterization.
t should be : ## -\pi / 2 < t < \pi / 2 ##

So the limits should be ## \int_\frac{-\pi}{2}^\frac{\pi}{2} A(t) ⋅ l(t) \ dt##

EDIT: scratch my last post. Maybe should stay in cylindrical. Still don't see why parametrize.

Last edited:
I have my doubts about this one but I got zero for an answer.
EDIT: I think I at least have the right procedure even if I'm capable of math errors: $$ \int \mathbf A \cdot d\mathbf l = \frac { (8z + 2)} {3} $$.

Last edited:

1. What is a line integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A line integral in cylindrical coordinates is a type of integral used to calculate the total change of a scalar or vector field along a specific curve in three-dimensional space. It takes into account the curvature of the curve and the direction of the field at each point along the curve.

2. How is a vector field given in cylindrical coordinates?

A vector field in cylindrical coordinates is typically given in terms of its radial, azimuthal, and axial components. These components represent the magnitude and direction of the field at each point in cylindrical coordinates.

3. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates for line integrals?

Cylindrical coordinates are advantageous for line integrals because they allow for easier calculation of the field at each point along the curve. This is because the components of the field are aligned with the coordinate axes, making it easier to break down and integrate the field along the curve.

4. How do you calculate a line integral in cylindrical coordinates?

To calculate a line integral in cylindrical coordinates, you first need to parameterize the curve in terms of the cylindrical coordinates. Then, you can use the formula for line integrals in cylindrical coordinates, which involves integrating the components of the field along the curve with respect to the appropriate coordinate.

5. What are some real-world applications of line integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Line integrals in cylindrical coordinates have many practical applications, such as calculating the work done by a force along a curved path, finding the flux of a vector field through a curved surface, and determining the circulation of a fluid flow around a curved boundary.