Mechanics of Materials - Deflection of an L shaped beam

In summary, this conversation discusses determining the deflection at point A in the X and Y direction, as well as the maximum normal and shear stress in a beam. Various equations and attempts at solutions are discussed, including splitting the problem into separate deflections and using boundary conditions. It is suggested to calculate the deflection as a cantilever and account for the rotation at the corner joint. The equations for normal and shear stress are also mentioned, but it is noted that more information is needed to determine the maximum values. Finally, the question of whether the equations account for rotation is raised.
chris627

Homework Statement

EDFVJdM.png

A. determine the deflection at point A in the X and Y direction.
B. determine the maximum normal stress in the beam
C. determine the maximum shear stress in the beam

Homework Equations

δ=(PL/EA)
(possibly?) δt=αΔτL
d2v/dx2 = M/EI
dM/dx = V
δabx*cosθ + δy*sinθ
σ=-My/I y- the distance from the neutral axis
τxy= VQ/IT

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to split this problem into separate deflections.

First, the deflection due to the normal force:
δy= -(Pb)/(Ewd)

Next, the deflection due to the moment on the bar with width W:
Vx= (12Pab2)/(Edw3)

Finally, I related the deflection on the section with width t to the deflection on the bar with a width W:
My boundary conditions are as follows
dv/dx = -1/(dv/dxw) since they are perpendicular
V(0) = δy

Using these boundary conditions I found that when X=a... this is going to get messy.
Vy= 12/Edt3 [(-pa3/3)+(E2d2w2t2/144pb)-(pbt3/12w)]

My intuition tells me this is incorrect since there is an E2 term in there. I obtained the E2 term when I related the slopes of the t and w bars.

For V in the x direction...
Vx= (12pab2/2Edw2)

For parts B and C, I simply plugged in P for Vmax, and P*a for Mmax into the equations:
τxy= VQ/IT
σ=-My/I

Homework Equations

Are these the correct equations for deflection in the x and y? Do I need to account for the rotation of the beam, or is that already accounted for in these equations?

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chris627 said:

Homework Statement

EDFVJdM.png

A. determine the deflection at point A in the X and Y direction.
B. determine the maximum normal stress in the beam
C. determine the maximum shear stress in the beam

Homework Equations

δ=(PL/EA)
(possibly?) δt=αΔτL
d2v/dx2 = M/EI
dM/dx = V
δabx*cosθ + δy*sinθ
σ=-My/I y- the distance from the neutral axis
τxy= VQ/IT

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to split this problem into separate deflections.

First, the deflection due to the normal force:
δy= -(Pb)/(Ewd)
Looks good
Next, the deflection due to the moment on the bar with width W:
Vx= (12Pab2)/(Edw3)
should be 6 not 12
Finally, I related the deflection on the section with width t to the deflection on the bar with a width W:
My boundary conditions are as follows
dv/dx = -1/(dv/dxw) since they are perpendicular
V(0) = δy

Using these boundary conditions I found that when X=a... this is going to get messy.
Vy= 12/Edt3 [(-pa3/3)+(E2d2w2t2/144pb)-(pbt3/12w)]

My intuition tells me this is incorrect since there is an E2 term in there. I obtained the E2 term when I related the slopes of the t and w bars.
seems like you should calculate the deflection as a simple cantilever, then add the deflection caused by the rotation at the corner joint
For V in the x direction...
Vx= (12pab2/2Edw2)
What's this?
For parts B and C, I simply plugged in P for Vmax, and P*a for Mmax into the equations:
τxy= VQ/IT
where I = ?
σ=-My/I
this would be bending normal stress where? What about axial stress? I don't know how you can determine the max without knowing values for the givens

Homework Equations

Are these the correct equations for deflection in the x and y? Do I need to account for the rotation of the beam, or is that already accounted for in these equations?

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
in calculating the deflection at the free end, you account for the deflection caused by rotation by calculating the rotation of the vertical piece at the corner joint, then geometrically find the deflection at the free end of the top piece which goes along for the ride so to speak.

What is the purpose of studying the deflection of an L shaped beam in mechanics of materials?

The deflection of an L shaped beam is an important aspect of mechanics of materials as it helps engineers and designers understand how a beam will behave under different types of loading. This information is crucial in the design and construction of structures that will be subjected to various types of forces.

What factors affect the deflection of an L shaped beam?

The deflection of an L shaped beam is affected by several factors such as the material properties, beam dimensions, type of loading, and boundary conditions. The material properties such as elasticity and stiffness determine how much the beam will bend under a given load. The dimensions of the beam, including its length, width, and thickness, also play a significant role in its deflection. The type of loading, whether it is uniformly distributed or concentrated, will also affect the deflection. Finally, the boundary conditions, such as whether the beam is fixed or simply supported, will impact the deflection as well.

How is the deflection of an L shaped beam calculated?

The deflection of an L shaped beam can be calculated using various methods, such as the double integration method, the moment area method, and the conjugate beam method. These methods use equations and principles from mechanics of materials to determine the deflection at a specific point on the beam. The specific method used will depend on the type of loading and boundary conditions of the beam.

Can the deflection of an L shaped beam be reduced?

Yes, the deflection of an L shaped beam can be reduced by increasing its stiffness through the use of a stronger material or changing its dimensions. The deflection can also be reduced by adding additional support, such as a brace or a column, to the beam. Additionally, using different types of beams, such as a truss or a cantilever, can also help reduce the deflection.

What are the practical applications of understanding the deflection of an L shaped beam?

The knowledge of deflection in mechanics of materials has practical applications in various fields, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and architecture. It is essential in designing and constructing buildings, bridges, and other structures that can withstand different types of loading. It is also crucial in the design and development of machines and mechanical systems that require sturdy and reliable support beams.