Calculating the deflection on curved beams

In summary, the formula for calculating deflection on curved beams is δ = (5WL^4)/(384EI). The assumptions made in this calculation are that the beam is homogeneous and isotropic, the cross-sectional shape remains constant, and the beam is subjected to pure bending. The curvature of the beam can affect the deflection, with a smaller radius of curvature resulting in a stiffer beam and less bending. The load distribution also affects the deflection, with a more concentrated load resulting in a greater deflection and a more distributed load resulting in a smaller deflection. Finally, there is a limit to the amount of deflection a curved beam can handle, known as the maximum allowable deflection, which varies depending on the application and material
phillipb

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I need some help. I haven’t done mechanics for a few years and am a little rusty but have a task for work to verify FEA (which hasn’t been done yet).

I have a semi circular beam that is bolted down on its ends. Mid way there is vertical force of 100kN pulling the semi circle. I need to find the maximum deflection in the vertical and horizontal direction that this force causes, and if possible the deflection at any angle.

The beam rectangular, has an internal radius of 200mm, a centroid radius of 250, is 100mm thick and 100mm wide.

Homework Equations

I have looked in Roark’s formula for stress and strain, and found a half semi circle example on p276 (7th edition). I hope I can assume that it is a thin beam as I have been unable to find anything for thick beams other than the example a few pages after.

By using symmetry you can half the semi circle and work out 3 unknowns at the freely supported end. As there is symmetry, am I right to assume that there is no horizontal force meaning the formulas are simpler. I also assumed that due to symmetry that there will be no moment (due to 2 opposing moments) giving me formulas of

Max Deflection in x direction VRc^3/2EI
Max Deflection in y direction Pi(VRc^3)/4EI

However looking at
http://school.mech.uwa.edu.au/~dwright/DANotes/MST/thin/thin.html#thin
I believe that this is incorrect and that I need to include a moment in my equation which now becomes

Max Deflection in x direction (2/pi-1/2)VRc^3/EI.
Max Deflection in y direction (Pi/4-2/Pi)VRc^3/EI

My deflections are now much smaller than the previous ones.

I am now confused as to which formula to use after finding example 3 at
http://www.codecogs.com/reference/engineering/materials/curved_beams.php
which gave me the same answers as my first attempt at roarks deflections.

The Attempt at a Solution

Roarks 1st attempt

X = 0.226mm
Y = 0.356mm

Codeworks

Horizontal Deflect = Integral (My/EI) ds
VRc^3/EI*Integral 0-pi/2 Sin Theta * (1-cos theta)

VRc^3/EI *.-cos.theta - 0.25(Cos.2.theta) in range 0 -pi/2

Max horiz =0.226mm

Vertical deflection
Intergral 0-pi/2 (V*RcsinTheta * Rc Sin Theta/EI)RC Delta theta

VRc^3/EI*Integral 0-pi/2 1/2(1-Cos.2.theta). Delta theta
VRc^3/EI*[1/2(theta -sin.theta.cos.theta] in range 0 -pi/2

Max Vert 0.356mm
I used these calcs to get the deflection at any angle by putting in the angle of theta i wanted

From School Mech
Max Deflection in x direction (2/pi-1/2)VR^3/EI. 0.0619mm
Max Deflection in y direction (Pi/4-2/Pi)VR^3/EI=0.0674mm

I am really confused and stuck as I don’t know which the right one is.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Phil

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Phil,

it is important to first understand the problem and gather all the necessary information before attempting to find a solution. In this case, you have a semi-circular beam with a vertical force of 100kN pulling at its midpoint. The beam is bolted down at both ends and has a rectangular cross-section with specific dimensions.

To find the maximum deflection in the vertical and horizontal directions, you will need to use the appropriate equations for a semi-circular beam under a concentrated load. Based on your research, it seems like you have found multiple equations that could potentially work for this problem. However, it is important to note that the validity of these equations may depend on certain assumptions, such as the thickness of the beam and the magnitude of the applied force.

I would suggest double-checking the assumptions and limitations of each equation before using them to solve the problem. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or a mentor who has experience with this type of problem. Additionally, you can also try verifying your results using a Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software, as mentioned in your post. This can help ensure the accuracy of your calculations.

Overall, it is important to approach this problem with a critical and analytical mindset, making sure to consider all the factors and assumptions before arriving at a solution. I hope this helps and good luck with your task!

What is the formula for calculating deflection on curved beams?

The formula for calculating deflection on curved beams is: δ = (5WL^4)/(384EI), where W is the uniform load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

What are the assumptions made in calculating deflection on curved beams?

The assumptions made in calculating deflection on curved beams are: the beam is homogeneous and isotropic, the cross-sectional shape of the beam remains constant throughout its length, and the beam is subjected to pure bending.

Can the curvature of the beam affect the deflection?

Yes, the curvature of the beam can affect the deflection. As the radius of curvature decreases, the deflection also decreases. This is because a smaller radius of curvature means a stiffer beam and less bending.

How does the load distribution affect the deflection on curved beams?

The load distribution affects the deflection on curved beams by changing the value of W in the deflection formula. A more concentrated load will result in a greater deflection, while a more distributed load will result in a smaller deflection.

Is there a limit to the amount of deflection a curved beam can handle?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of deflection a curved beam can handle. This is known as the maximum allowable deflection, and it varies depending on the application and the material of the beam. Exceeding this limit can result in structural failure or damage.