Mechanics Problem - Power, Finding The Resistance and Acceleration

In summary: Have you posted the question correctly?In summary, a small car with a mass of 1200kg is traveling up a hill with a slope of sin^-1(1/15) at a constant velocity of 20m/s. The power developed by the engine is 25000W. In part A, the resistance to motion is found to be 466N. In part B, the initial acceleration is found to be 0.653 ms^-2, assuming the resistance remains unchanged. However, if the hill levels out smoothly, the thrust and therefore the power remains the same.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A small car with a mass of 1200kg is driving up a hill with a slope of sin^-1(1/15) at a constant velocity of 20m/s. The power developed by the engine is 25000W.

Part A: find the resistance to motion.

Part B: At the top, the road becomes horizontal. Find the initial acceleration, assuming the resistance is unchanged.

Homework Equations

P=Fv
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A: R = resistance to motion
[tex]
P=Fv \\
25000=F20 \\
F=\frac{25000}{20}=1250N \\
mgsin(arcsin(\frac{1}{15})) + R = 1250 \\
784+R=1250 \\
R = 1250-784=466N \\
[/tex]

Part B:
[tex]
F=ma \\
1250-466=1200a \\
784=1200a \\
a=\frac{784}{1200}=0.653ms^{-2}
[/tex]

Part B I am a bit unsure of, my mind tells me the net force is the starting force (1250) minus one lot of resistance (466), however two of my peers have had the total force to be 466. Also it depends on whether I got part A correct and I am not 100% on that either.

Any help appreciated :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FaraDazed! :smile:

Your A looks ok to me, and your B is ok if the force is the same.

However, I suspect it's the power that's the same … otherwise why would they ask for the initial acceleration?

tiny-tim said:
Hi FaraDazed! :smile:

Your A looks ok to me

tiny-tim said:
and your B is ok if the force is the same.

However, I suspect it's the power that's the same … otherwise why would they ask for the initial acceleration?

Sorry I am confused now lol, Yeah the power output of the car remains constant I think, so my part B is wrong?

FaraDazed said:
Yeah the power output of the car remains constant I think, so my part B is wrong?

In part B, you've used the same F (1250) …

don't you need to use the same wattage?

tiny-tim said:
In part B, you've used the same F (1250) …

don't you need to use the same wattage?

Sorry if I am missing something obvious :shy:. Where can I factor the wattage into part B? To find the acceleration I am using the force provided by the engine which is calculated using the wattage (25000/20) minus the resistance force. F=ma can't work if I used the wattage (25000) instead could it?

Thanks,

tiny-tim said:
Your A looks ok to me, and your B is ok if the force is the same.

Since it asks for initial acceleration, the speed can be taken to be the same (as long as we assume the hill levels out smoothly). So if the power is the same then the thrust is also the same.
If the hill levels out suddenly it gets rather complicated. There's a trajectory to consider, the elasticity of the tyres, conservation of momentum...

Related to Mechanics Problem - Power, Finding The Resistance and Acceleration

1. What is power in mechanics?

Power in mechanics refers to the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is typically measured in watts (W) and is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do it.

2. How do you find resistance in a mechanics problem?

To find resistance in a mechanics problem, you can use Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented as R = V/I. The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω).

3. What is acceleration in mechanics?

Acceleration in mechanics is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). An object can accelerate by either increasing or decreasing its speed or changing direction.

4. How do you calculate acceleration in a mechanics problem?

To calculate acceleration in a mechanics problem, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Make sure all units are consistent to get an accurate result.

5. What are some common units of power in mechanics?

Some common units of power in mechanics include watts (W), horsepower (hp), and kilowatts (kW). Other units, such as foot-pounds per second (ft-lb/s) and joules per second (J/s), can also be used to measure power, but are less commonly used.