Mechanics: Slope Friction Problem

In summary: A simple shift in x (adding a constant) can eliminate the linear term, giving an expression of the form ##A\sqrt{1-cx^2}##.A multiplicative substitution gets rid of c.What change of variable are you referring to?
MathDestructor
Homework Statement
Need Help with Work Energy Theorem
Relevant Equations
Attached Below.
1580838354321.png

So far, I have this:
1580838395802.png

For Part ii) I know that:

mgh = xmgsin(theta), but I don't know how to go further

Physics news on Phys.org
MathDestructor said:
For Part ii) I know that:

mgh = xmgsin(theta), but I don't know how to go further
You know how much potential energy the object started with. Presumably you realize that it started and ended at rest -- that is, with zero kinetic energy.

So you can easily calculate how much energy was expended over the course of the downward slide. The work done over a path is given by the length of the path times the average [over distance] force along the path.

Does that give you a start?

You can make a useful observation about average force, given the nice way that this force is defined.

jbriggs444 said:
You know how much potential energy the object started with. Presumably you realize that it started and ended at rest -- that is, with zero kinetic energy.

So you can easily calculate how much energy was expended over the course of the downward slide. The work done over a path is given by the length of the path times the average [over distance] force along the path.

Does that give you a start?

You can make a useful observation about average force, given the nice way that this force is defined.
Yes, except that "average force" is defined as average over time. You mean "average over distance".

haruspex said:
Yes, except that "average force" is defined as average over time. You mean "average over distance".
Which is why I specified an average over distance.

My intuition is also screaming that due to symmetry, the two averages will match in this case.

jbriggs444 said:
Which is why I specified an average over distance.
So you did - sorry.

jbriggs444 said:
My intuition is also screaming that due to symmetry, the two averages will match in this case.
Wouldn't it be SHM (until the bottom)? The two averages differ for that.

OTOH, looks like the question can be answered using a symmetry argument without needing to mention averages or perform integrals.

Last edited:
1580849197361.png

1580849216801.png

Is this correct? How do I take the integral in the next part?

MathDestructor said:
Is this correct? How do I take the integral in the next part?
For the first part, your two methods are effectively the same (and correct).
For the next part, I gave rather a large clue in post #6. Apart from the constant force of gravity, the force is proportional to what? Does that ring any bells?

haruspex said:
For the first part, your two methods are effectively the same (and correct).
For the next part, I gave rather a large clue in post #6. Apart from the constant force of gravity, the force is proportional to what? Does that ring any bells?

I don't understand sorry

Is my equation for Q3 right? If so how do I go about solving it?

MathDestructor said:
Is my equation for Q3 right? If so how do I go about solving it?
The easy way is to recognise your first equation in post #7 as being (almost) a well known standard equation, with ##\ddot x## on one side and a term proportional to -x on the other.

Failing that, your v(x) = equation in the middle if the second image can easily be turned into time = an integral of a function of x wrt x.
The first step in solving the integral is to get rid of the x term (as opposed to the x squared term) by a simple change of variable. That will give you a constant term instead. Post what you get.
Then think about another substitution to get rid of the square root. I'll let you have a go at that before any further hints.

haruspex said:
The easy way is to recognise your first equation in post #7 as being (almost) a well known standard equation, with ##\ddot x## on one side and a term proportional to -x on the other.

Failing that, your v(x) = equation in the middle if the second image can easily be turned into time = an integral of a function of x wrt x.
The first step in solving the integral is to get rid of the x term (as opposed to the x squared term) by a simple change of variable. That will give you a constant term instead. Post what you get.
Then think about another substitution to get rid of the square root. I'll let you have a go at that before any further hints.

What change of variable are you referring to? Could you please start me off with the first step?

1580944310044.png

I got to this, what's next?

MathDestructor said:
View attachment 256660

I got to this, what's next?
A simple shift in x (adding a constant) can eliminate the linear term, giving an expression of the form ##A\sqrt{1-cx^2}##.
A multiplicative substitution gets rid of c.
Do you see what to do from there?

Yeah i got it, thanks !

MathDestructor said:
Yeah i got it, thanks !
Good.
Note that in the original problem if you take x as the displacement from the middle then you get the SHM ODE straight away.

What is a slope friction problem in mechanics?

A slope friction problem in mechanics is a type of problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object placed on an inclined surface, taking into account the force of gravity and the frictional force between the object and the slope.

What factors affect the magnitude of the frictional force in a slope friction problem?

The magnitude of the frictional force in a slope friction problem is affected by the coefficient of friction between the object and the slope, the weight of the object, and the angle of inclination of the slope.

How do you find the net force on an object in a slope friction problem?

In order to find the net force on an object in a slope friction problem, you must first calculate the normal force (perpendicular to the slope) and the parallel force (parallel to the slope) acting on the object. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to find the net force.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a slope friction problem?

Static friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is at rest on a surface, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion. In a slope friction problem, static friction is the force that keeps the object from sliding down the slope, while kinetic friction is the force that slows down the object as it moves down the slope.

How can you minimize the frictional force in a slope friction problem?

The frictional force in a slope friction problem can be minimized by reducing the coefficient of friction between the object and the slope. This can be done by using a smoother surface or by applying a lubricant between the object and the slope.