Medical Imaging Presentation Ideas

In summary: Sorry I didn't realize you had added two posts. To answer your question, X-rays yes but no to the rest listed. We also covered PET. The class is...In summary, the student is looking for topics for a medical imaging paper and is aware of some newer technologies that are being researched. He plans on researching these technologies more in-depth before presenting on the topic.
Spicy Italian
Hello, I am wondering if the boards can reccomend any topics of medical imaging in healthcare.

I have to make a presentation on the topic and write a paper. The paper must only be sourced from peer reviewed articles or government statistics. So it should be realitvely well known. I believe the instructor is looking for about ten sources. The paper+presentation must justify why the field should be further researched & I am to suggest a way to improve upon the technology. Of course, I mean an area of research that may improve the discipline.

I also can not present on the same topic as another student and topics are first come first serve. I would really like to pick soon before all the good topixs are gone.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Spicy Italian said:
Hello, I am wondering if the boards can reccomend any topics of medical imaging in healthcare.

I have to make a presentation on the topic and write a paper. The paper must only be sourced from peer reviewed articles or government statistics. So it should be realitvely well known. I believe the instructor is looking for about ten sources. The paper+presentation must justify why the field should be further researched & I am to suggest a way to improve upon the technology. Of course, I mean an area of research that may improve the discipline.

I also can not present on the same topic as another student and topics are first come first serve. I would really like to pick soon before all the good topixs are gone.

Thanks
Welcome to the PF.

What medical imaging modalities are you familiar with? Which ones have research ongoing to improve them? What kind of improvements are they looking for? :smile:

I can think of a relatively new imaging technology that a lot of people aren't aware of, and it's pretty neat. Not sure how much there is in the peer-reviewed literature about it yet, but there probably are still some articles about it...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What medical imaging modalities are you familiar with? Which ones have research ongoing to improve them? What kind of improvements are they looking for? :smile:

I can think of a relatively new imaging technology that a lot of people aren't aware of, and it's pretty neat. Not sure how much there is in the peer-reviewed literature about it yet, but there probably are still some articles about it...
We have breifly breifly covered in class, HDR & LDR Bracheotherapy, PET, Flouroscopy. Thats about it. Those questions are ones I would adress in the paper - No?

Spicy Italian said:
We have breifly breifly covered in class, HDR & LDR Bracheotherapy, PET, Flouroscopy. Thats about it. Those questions are ones I would adress in the paper - No?
Brachytherapy isn't really an imaging modality, is it? :smile:

And yes, those are the types of questions you should address in your paper, but I was trying to get a feel for what research you've done so far on your project. You didn't mention many other imaging modalities in your list of what you have studied in class so far. You haven't covered X-rays or CAT or MRI imaging yet? Nothing about ultrasound yet? Echocardiograms? What reading have you done on other medical imaging modalities?

BTW, one of the themes of the PF is that we "Help students learn how to learn". That's why we are not just giving you lots of suggestions yet about your paper. You need to do some work and show your efforts here in order to get out (great) tutorial help. :smile:

berkeman said:
BTW, one of the themes of the PF is that we "Help students learn how to learn". That's why we are not just giving you lots of suggestions yet about your paper. You need to do some work and show your efforts here in order to get out (great) tutorial help. :smile:
Sounds fair, I am saying outright I probably will not get around to doing any research until Monday. Expect a reply by Tuesday when I plan on having my topic selected

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Brachytherapy isn't really an imaging modality, is it? :smile:

And yes, those are the types of questions you should address in your paper, but I was trying to get a feel for what research you've done so far on your project. You didn't mention many other imaging modalities in your list of what you have studied in class so far. You haven't covered X-rays or CAT or MRI imaging yet? Nothing about ultrasound yet? Echocardiograms? What reading have you done on other medical imaging modalities?
Sorry I didn't realize you had added two posts. To answer your question, X-rays yes but no to the rest listed. We also covered PET. The class is a second year class for non-physics majors, so its pretty basic. Also, the paper/presentation can be about physics in medicine not just physics in imaging. (My bad). Bracheotherapy just happened to be one topic I was considering.

The Force is strong with you... :smile:

The novel imaging technology that I referred to is IR imaging of a patient's (Pt's) veins and arteries to help with starting IVs. I can look for a good link if you don't find it with a web search...

There is a useful overview at; http://www.foresight.org/Conference/MNT8/Papers/Flitman/index.html But within the subject area there are potentially lots of issues to focus on. You would need to decide the direction of your presentation in order to search effectively for specific studies. If you can narrow your interests down and do a quick search you will get an idea of the sort of things in the literature, I would suggest avoiding the subjects that appear to have very little published work. A popular area is much easier to address as you can use the literature as a model for your own presentation. Have you looked for presentations that are already available on the web as power point files they can give you some ideas. Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys,

I am going to have to talk to my prof once more about topics as I'm picky and an still having trouble selecting. Berkeman, good idea, the flaw i saw in it is that some study suggested traditional palpation is more effecting than illuminating, but that doesn't mean I can't take the "endless possibilities" angle to help justify funding it.

The profs conditions really are what's making it difficult-ish. One of the hits in google news for imaging was a mobile CMUT (capcitor micromachined ultrasound transducer) which was very interesting but it didn't have the 10 papers (since 2009) behind it.

Should I tip-toe around these conditions?

Thanks,

I proposed a topic today. It was modified by my professor to be thermal acousitic imaging; thermal acoustic imaging with microwave radiation to improve contrast. I apologize Ygggdrasil, I didn't get a chance to check out flouresence guided surgery before my classes today.

Thanks again,
Spicy Italian Sandwich

1. What is medical imaging?

Medical imaging is a branch of science that involves using various techniques and technologies to create visual representations of the inside of the human body. These images help healthcare professionals diagnose and treat medical conditions.

2. What are some common techniques used in medical imaging?

Some common techniques used in medical imaging include X-rays, ultrasounds, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT) scans, and positron emission tomography (PET) scans. Each technique has its own unique advantages and uses in different medical situations.

3. How are medical images interpreted by healthcare professionals?

Interpreting medical images requires specialized training and expertise. Healthcare professionals, such as radiologists and nuclear medicine physicians, analyze the images to identify any abnormalities or signs of disease. They use their knowledge of anatomy and pathology to make accurate diagnoses and determine the best course of treatment for the patient.

4. What are some applications of medical imaging?

Medical imaging has many applications in the field of healthcare. It is commonly used for diagnosing and monitoring a wide range of medical conditions, including fractures, tumors, and heart disease. It can also be used to guide medical procedures, such as surgeries and biopsies, and to track the effectiveness of treatments.

5. How is medical imaging technology advancing?

Medical imaging technology is constantly evolving and improving. Researchers are developing new techniques and technologies to enhance the quality and accuracy of medical images. This includes innovations such as 3D imaging, contrast-enhanced imaging, and fusion imaging, which combines multiple imaging modalities for a more comprehensive view of the body.