Medical Phyiscs master's program at OSU/OHSU vs. SDSU

In summary, the student is a Radiation Health Physics major who plans to study medical physics in the future and has been admitted to the medical physics masters program at San Diego State University. They are waiting to hear back from Oregon State University/Oregon Health and Science University. They are seeking advice on the quality of education at both schools, with an acquaintance recommending SDSU due to its organization and course/research opportunities. The student is also considering the advice of current students and focusing on the specific research being conducted at each program. They are also looking into the program's organization and the amount of time faculty can dedicate to teaching.
pdm0118
Hello forum,

I am a soon-to-be-graduated Radiation Health Physics student who plans to study medical physics in the future. I have applied for a few schools and I have been admitted to San Diego State's medical physics masters so far. And I am still waiting to hear from Oregon State/Oregon Health and Science University.

I would like to ask you about their quality of education, please. Being CAMPEP accreditted schools, both programs should provide solid MP education. However, according to an acquaintance of mine who is finishing a medical physics PhD at OHSU, the program at OSU/OHSU is relatively less organized and provides fewer courses/research opportunities. He suggested me to go to SDSU.

However, I would like to hear from more people who have experienced either OSU/OHSU or SDSU's medical physics program before making a decision.Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say too much about the specifics of those programs.

In our discussion thread on Becoming a Medical Physicist I've listed a number of things that I would look for in a program if I were a student starting out today with an interest in the profession, and maybe that can be of some help to you in deciding which direction to go.

It's good that you're talking to current students.

Rather than breadth of research opportunities, I would try to concentrate a little more on the particular research that's going on in the program. If they only do two things, but one of those is very appealing then the overall breadth of opportunities shouldn't matter too much.

Program organisation is another big thing to look at too. One issue that comes up frequently is the amount of time the faculty have to dedicate towards teaching. You can only do so much teaching if you have spend most of your time tending to a clinic and I suspect a lot of programs wrestle with this - particularly the smaller ones.

1. What is the difference between the Medical Physics master's program at OSU/OHSU and SDSU?

The Medical Physics master's program at OSU/OHSU is a joint program between Oregon State University and Oregon Health & Science University, while SDSU has its own separate Medical Physics program. Additionally, the program at OSU/OHSU has a strong emphasis on clinical training and hands-on experience, while SDSU's program focuses more on research and theoretical knowledge.

2. Which program has a better reputation in the field of Medical Physics?

Both programs have strong reputations and are highly respected in the field of Medical Physics. However, OSU/OHSU's program has been consistently ranked among the top programs in the country by organizations such as the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, making it a top choice for many aspiring Medical Physicists.

3. What are the admission requirements for each program?

The admission requirements for both programs are similar and include a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics or engineering, competitive GRE scores, and letters of recommendation. However, OSU/OHSU's program also requires applicants to have completed specific courses in mathematics, physics, and biology.

4. How long does it take to complete each program?

The Medical Physics master's program at OSU/OHSU typically takes 2 years to complete, while SDSU's program can take anywhere from 2-3 years depending on whether the student chooses a thesis or non-thesis option. Both programs require a minimum of 45 credit hours to graduate.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of these programs?

Graduates of both programs are well-prepared for careers in the field of Medical Physics, which includes working in hospitals, cancer treatment centers, and research facilities. They may also choose to pursue a PhD in Medical Physics or a related field. Graduates from OSU/OHSU's program have the added benefit of being eligible to take the American Board of Radiology certification exam, which is highly valued by employers.