Medical Physics Acceptance Rates

In summary, the speaker has created an excel spreadsheet with information on 25 CAMPEP accredited schools in the US and has consulted with a professor about where to apply. The professor suggested ranking the schools based on acceptance rates, but the speaker is having difficulty finding reliable data on acceptance rates for medical physics programs. They are seeking advice on where to find this information and whether factors such as involvement and leadership on campus may impact admissions. The expert summarizer notes that medical physics programs are competitive and suggests looking into program differences and talking to graduate students for more insight.
btuazon
So I've made an excel spreadsheet of info on all 25 of the CAMPEP accredited schools in the US.
I talked to my prof about where to apply. Basically, he said to rank them in order of acceptance rates. I can't find conclusive or any acceptance rates from a lot of schools that offer Medical Physics.

Anyone know anything about these? Where to find them? Even if you've "heard" that one school particularly accepts more than others?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of any data on acceptance rates to medical physics programs, but would warn that this may be a fruitless task, even if you had reliable data.

Across the board I know that medical physics programs are competative to get into. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee you a spot, but you likely already knew that.

What I would advise is that you look more specifically into the differences in the programs and what they offer. Look at the research projects people are doing - are they interesting to you. Talk to graduate students in the department and see if they enjoy what they're working on and listen to their comments on the program. What courses will you be required to take? What course options will you have?

Gotcha. Thanks again Choppy. You have diligently answered all the MP questions here well. Right now, I am trying to narrow them down. I'm not worrying about if I can get in at what school or not as it seems slim enough as it is.

My gpa is not good. Not at all. But, I do have four physics co-ops under my belt and really high GRE scores, Quant 800. I was wondering though, a big factor in my low gpa is my involvement and leadership on campus. I'm inclined to think that doesn't really matter to admissions... does it?

It will probably depend on how 'not good' your GPA is and to an extent what you mean by "leadership on campus." If you don't make the minimum cut-off then the reason why is unlikely to make much of a difference. If the median applicant has a GPA of 3.5 and you're coming in with a 3.3 + having served as the president of your student union, it might keep you in the running. But since it's not related to physics it also might not - depending on who is on the admissions committee and their understanding of student leadership.

A lot will also depend on the other applicants who apply in that year and what your references have to say.

Ill PM you if you don't mind.

Sure.

1. What is the average acceptance rate for medical physics programs?

The average acceptance rate for medical physics programs varies depending on the university and specific program. However, it is typically around 50-60%, with some programs having acceptance rates as low as 30% and others as high as 80%.

2. What factors can affect the acceptance rate for medical physics programs?

There are several factors that can affect the acceptance rate for medical physics programs, such as the reputation and prestige of the university, the competitiveness of the program, the number of available spots, and the qualifications and experience of the applicants.

3. How do acceptance rates for medical physics programs compare to other graduate programs in the field of science?

Overall, acceptance rates for medical physics programs tend to be slightly lower than other graduate programs in the field of science due to the highly competitive nature of the field and the limited number of spots available.

4. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications that can increase an applicant's chances of being accepted into a medical physics program?

Most medical physics programs require applicants to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and biology. Additionally, relevant research experience and a high GPA can also increase an applicant's chances of being accepted.

5. How can I find out the acceptance rate for a specific medical physics program?

The best way to find out the acceptance rate for a specific medical physics program is to check the university's website or contact the program directly. You can also look for statistics or reports from previous years to get an idea of the program's acceptance rate.