Medical Physics Question about the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho

In summary, the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho is used by medical physicists when working with x-rays to calculate the dosis absorbed. The alfa factor represents the energy that damages, while rho is the density and mu is the absorption coefficient. The formula may work for all interactions, including compton, fotoelectric effect, pair production, and coherent scattering. Another doubt is whether photodisintegration occurs when working with x-rays and where to find information on the topic. It is believed that original x-ray density data was obtained by using a human body cut into 1cm cubes, but this could be a myth.
AndresPB
Hello I had two doubts, I know that medical physicist when working with x-rays use the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho
where D(x) is the dosis absorbed
Alfa is the factor of the energy that damages
Rho is the density
mu is the absorbtion coefficient
My doubt is the following: Does this formula work for all interactions? (compton, fotoelectric efect, pair production and coherent scattering)
Another doubt, does photodisintegration occurs when working with x rays?
where can I find information on the topic? Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your answer, still don't fully comprehend

I believe they used a human body cut into 1cm cubes to get original X-ray density data.

could be a myth.

1. What is the significance of the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho in medical physics?

The formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho is used to calculate the dose of radiation absorbed by a specific tissue or organ in a patient during a medical imaging or radiotherapy procedure. It takes into account the attenuation coefficient (mu), the radiation intensity (I), and the tissue density (rho) to determine the radiation dose (D) at a specific depth (x) within the tissue.

2. How is the attenuation coefficient (mu) determined for a specific tissue?

The attenuation coefficient (mu) is a measure of how much a tissue reduces the intensity of radiation passing through it. It is determined by the composition and density of the tissue, as well as the energy and type of radiation being used. It can be calculated using various methods, such as Monte Carlo simulations or experimental measurements.

3. Can the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho be used for all types of radiation?

Yes, the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho can be used for any type of radiation, including X-rays, gamma rays, and charged particles. However, the values for alfa, mu, I, and rho may vary depending on the type of radiation being used, so it is important to use the appropriate values for each type of radiation.

4. How does tissue density (rho) affect the radiation dose (D) in the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho?

Tissue density (rho) plays a significant role in determining the radiation dose (D) absorbed by a tissue. A higher tissue density means a greater number of atoms per unit volume, leading to more interactions between the radiation and the tissue, and therefore a higher radiation dose. This is why tissues with higher densities, such as bone, receive higher radiation doses compared to tissues with lower densities, such as muscle.

5. Is the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho only applicable to medical physics?

No, the formula D(x)=alfa*mu*I(x)/rho is a general formula used in radiation physics and can be applied in various fields, including medical physics, nuclear engineering, and radiation protection. It is used to calculate the absorbed dose of radiation in any material or tissue and is an essential tool for understanding and managing the effects of radiation on living organisms.