Medical (Radiography) and Astronomy

In summary, this person graduated with a bachelor's degree in medical imaging which may not be sufficient to pursue a career in space science or astronomy. They may want to pursue a masters degree in order to gain more background in physics and potentially pursue a PhD if they want to pursue a career in space science or astronomy.
Fatima7
Good morning,

I would like to know if its possible to do my Master degree in any field related to space and astronomy, actually I graduated with bachelor of applied science (Medical Imaging). I deal with x-ray and imaging machines. My courses were somewhere between biology, x-ray (radiation) and two courses of physics, and I would like to link it with space, because space was and still my passion.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fairly broad question. A bachelor's degree in medical imaging can mean a lot of different things. It could range anywhere from diagnostic radiology technical program to a physics or engineering degree with electives in imaging. Generally, if you want to get into space science or astronomy for an advanced degree, you need a comprehensive undergraduate physics background. On the surface of it, a program that has only two courses in physics doesn't seem like it would give you sufficient background to handle the material that would be covered in a typical graduate physics program. So you may have to do some additional work if that's a hill you really want to climb.

You could check into a few specific master's programs that look interesting to you and find out what the specific admission requirements are. Contact them directly if it's unclear whether your current qualifications are sufficient.

Likes Fatima7
Fatima7 said:
Good morning,

I would like to know if its possible to do my Master degree in any field related to space and astronomy, actually I graduated with bachelor of applied science (Medical Imaging). I deal with x-ray and imaging machines. My courses were somewhere between biology, x-ray (radiation) and two courses of physics, and I would like to link it with space, because space was and still my passion.

Thanks.
A "field related to space and astronomy" has a wide-ranging scope. Have you narrowed it down; e.g., astrophysics or aerospace engineering? What about leveraging your existing background; say, the effect of space travel on human health? It's great to pursue your passion, but you're giving up a field (medical imaging) with strong employment prospects. Have you thought of what you want to do after the masters? Pursue a PhD, or get a job?

Choppy said:
That's a fairly broad question. A bachelor's degree in medical imaging can mean a lot of different things. It could range anywhere from diagnostic radiology technical program to a physics or engineering degree with electives in imaging. Generally, if you want to get into space science or astronomy for an advanced degree, you need a comprehensive undergraduate physics background. On the surface of it, a program that has only two courses in physics doesn't seem like it would give you sufficient background to handle the material that would be covered in a typical graduate physics program. So you may have to do some additional work if that's a hill you really want to climb.

You could check into a few specific master's programs that look interesting to you and find out what the specific admission requirements are. Contact them directly if it's unclear whether your current qualifications are sufficient.

Thanks a lot I appreciate your help.

Likes Delta2 and berkeman
CrysPhys said:
A "field related to space and astronomy" has a wide-ranging scope. Have you narrowed it down; e.g., astrophysics or aerospace engineering? What about leveraging your existing background; say, the effect of space travel on human health? It's great to pursue your passion, but you're giving up a field (medical imaging) with strong employment prospects. Have you thought of what you want to do after the masters? Pursue a PhD, or get a job?

Yes, I thought of space biology, or anything related to space and health/biology. Am planning to get job after my Master. Thanks a lot for your reply I appreciate it

Likes Delta2 and berkeman

What is Medical Radiography?

Medical radiography is a form of diagnostic imaging that uses x-rays to produce images of the internal structures of the body. These images can help diagnose and monitor various medical conditions.

What are the different types of Medical Radiography?

There are several types of medical radiography, including X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans, and ultrasound. Each type uses different technology and is used for different purposes.

What is the role of Medical Radiography in healthcare?

Medical radiography plays a crucial role in healthcare by providing doctors with a non-invasive way to visualize and diagnose medical conditions. It is also used to monitor the effectiveness of treatments and track the progression of diseases.

What is Astronomy?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, and the phenomena that occur in outer space. It is a branch of science that uses observations and theories to understand the universe.

What are some common tools and techniques used in Astronomy?

Astronomy uses a variety of tools and techniques, including telescopes, spectroscopy, and computer modeling. Telescopes are used to observe and collect data from distant objects, while spectroscopy is used to analyze the light emitted by these objects. Computer modeling is used to simulate and study complex astronomical phenomena.