Meissner effect and Lenz's Law

In summary, the Meissner effect is a microscopic effect that explains why a magnetic field is repelled by a superconductor. However, it does not fully explain the stable levitation of a magnet over a superconductor, as this also involves flux trapping. The Meissner effect can be observed in the ac inductance of superconducting magnets, where it leads to a drop in impedance. And while there may be some connection to Lenz's law, the Meissner effect is not the same as normal induction. Overall, the Meissner effect is sufficient to explain the levitation of a magnet, but flux trapping is necessary for more complex levitation scenarios.
Jiachao
Hi, really quick question.

Is there a relationship between the Meissner effect (in superconductors) and Lenz's law.

Also, can the Meissner effect alone explain why a magnet can levitate over a superconductor, or do I need to learn about flux trapping (which isn't required by my syllabus).

Physics news on Phys.org
Jiachao said:
Hi, really quick question.

Is there a relationship between the Meissner effect (in superconductors) and Lenz's law.

I can't think of any "helpful" connection. The Meissner effect is ultimately a microscopic effect so you need QM for a full explanation (e.g. calculate the penetration depth).

Also, can the Meissner effect alone explain why a magnet can levitate over a superconductor, or do I need to learn about flux trapping (which isn't required by my syllabus).

The Meissner effect explains why the field is repelled so in that respect it explains the levitation. But it does not explain why a magnet can find a stable configuration (and does not "fall off") when levitated over a type II superconductor; for that you need to know something about flux trapping.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I measured the ac inductance (imaginary part of impedance) of the Fermilab Tevatron superconducting dipole magnets, as the magnets cooled from liquid nitrogen to liquid helium temperature (4.2 kelvin), and back. I used a 1 amp signal, with frequencies ranging from 10 Hz to 5 KHz. At about 9 or 10 kelvin, the inductance abruptly dropped from 49 mH to 45 mH at all frequencies, the difference being due to the ac magnetic field being excluded from the volume occupied by the superconducting coils (Meissner Effect). See attached jpg. The dropoff in inductance at higher frequencies is due to ac losses in laminated iron collars, cryostats, etc. The real part of the magnet impedance was simultaneously measured, and showed no change.

Attachments

• Tevatron­_mag_induct.jpg
    Tevatron­_mag_induct.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Jiachao said:
[...]

I do think that there is something of Lenz' law going on. If the superconductor would enhance the field instead of weakening it, then we would have a build up of magnetism between two Superconductors. Creating field energy out of nothing until the superconductivity breaks down. But otherwise the Meissner effect is not the same as normal induction.

Diamagnetism is all it needs, there are other things floating in magnetic fields if the field strength is high enough. So yes the Meissner effect is enough.

On the other hand the hanging superconductors that fly need flux trapping.

1. What is the Meissner effect?

The Meissner effect is the expulsion of a magnetic field from a superconductor when it is cooled below its critical temperature. This causes the superconductor to exhibit perfect diamagnetism, meaning it repels all magnetic fields.

2. How does the Meissner effect occur?

The Meissner effect occurs due to the formation of superconducting pairs of electrons that flow without any resistance. These pairs create a current that generates a magnetic field in the opposite direction of an applied external magnetic field, causing it to be expelled from the superconductor.

3. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always be such that it opposes the change that caused it. In the case of the Meissner effect, the induced current opposes the applied external magnetic field, resulting in its expulsion from the superconductor.

4. How does Lenz's Law relate to the Meissner effect?

Lenz's Law is the underlying principle that explains the Meissner effect. As the external magnetic field begins to penetrate the superconductor, it induces a current that generates a magnetic field in the opposite direction, causing the external field to be expelled.

5. What are the practical applications of the Meissner effect and Lenz's Law?

The Meissner effect and Lenz's Law have numerous practical applications, including in superconducting magnets used in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and maglev trains. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as superconducting power transmission and energy storage systems.