Mentalist: How did Red John know the Jane's list?

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, fans of the TV series "The Mentalist" have been discussing the main unanswered question of how Red John knew Jane's list of 7 suspects. Many theories have been proposed, but one fan has shared their own theory involving a video of Lorelei, the possibility of a twin sister, and Red John's numerous accomplices. Despite the unresolved question, fans still love the show and its deceptive plot twists. However, it is a fictional story and the main character, Jane, is not a real person.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This thread is only for fans of the TV series "The Mentalist". (It's a bit old, but I am watching it now.)

One of the main unrevealed questions in the TV series is how did Red John know the Jane's list of 7 suspects? By googling I have found a lot of theories, but neither seemed very convincing. So I constructed my own theory (and published it also on Quora by my real name Hrvoje Nikolic, for the case you google it by yourself). Here is my theory:

The video in which Lorelei tells who are the 7 suspects was recorded AFTER Jane made the list and AFTER Lorelei was killed. The catch is that the women in the video was not actual Lorelei, but a woman wearing a mask so that she looks like Lorelei. Her voice is distorted electronically so that she even sounds like Lorelei. (A variation of this theory is that Lorelei had a twin sister.) Simple, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I loved this show. Jane’s character was so charming and out of the box in how he flushed out the bad guys using his carny knowledge on marks and scams.

With respect to the list, I just accepted that Red John had so many accomplices everywhere that he’d get that list or had a good idea who’d be on it just from the investigations that were made. That was the beauty of the show, it’s deceptions and it’s plot twists.

Likes Demystifier
jedishrfu said:
With respect to the list, I just accepted that Red John had so many accomplices everywhere that he’d get that list or had a good idea who’d be on it just from the investigations that were made.
Yes, I've seen many theories of that kind, but there is no way that Red John could know that there were no also other people with whom Jane shaked hands.

Story writers always have some sort of fuzziness to their stories. It allows them to develop the story further by leaving a loose end.

jedishrfu said:
Story writers always have some sort of fuzziness to their stories. It allows them to develop the story further by leaving a loose end.
Hey, are you telling me that the Mentalist is just a fiction? :oops: :oldcry::oldbiggrin:

Oh no, he's out there somewhere enjoying his retirement. Sadly, he and his wife have separated.

• Wow
Likes Demystifier

1. How did Red John know about Jane's list?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as it is a central mystery of the show. However, some theories suggest that Red John may have had inside information from someone close to Jane, or that he was able to gather information through his vast network of followers.

2. Did Red John have psychic abilities?

There is no evidence to suggest that Red John had any kind of psychic abilities. He was a master manipulator and had a deep understanding of human behavior, which may have made him seem like he had psychic abilities to some.

3. How did Red John stay one step ahead of Jane?

Red John was a skilled and intelligent serial killer, who was able to anticipate Jane's moves and manipulate the situation to his advantage. He also had a strong understanding of Jane's motivations and thought processes, which helped him to stay ahead of him.

4. Did Red John have any accomplices?

It is possible that Red John had accomplices or followers who helped him gather information and carry out his crimes. However, this has never been confirmed in the show.

5. Will we ever find out how Red John knew about Jane's list?

The show has come to an end and the question of how Red John knew about Jane's list remains unanswered. It is up to the audience to interpret the clues and come up with their own theories about the answer.