Merging theoretical and experimental physics: the 'correct' standard model

In summary, Taylaron's position seems to be that the community of physicists is resistant to change, and that bold new ideas are often rejected.
taylaron
Gold Member
It is my understanding that the world of physics is split by a fast chasm into experimental and theoretical physics. The first time I told my father I wanted to be a physicist, he asked me “experimental or theoretical physics?” I thought for a second and responded “both!” He went on to explain the large void between the two fields which I presume is meant to focus my studies and career in one or the other, but never both. Ever since Newton got bonked on the head by an apple, or when Maxwell composed the Maxwell Equations, or when Rutherford proposed the existence of a nucleus and so many others, humanity’s perspective and ‘understanding’ of the observable universe has been largely mobile.
Right now, the vast majority of experimental and theoretical physicists accept the theory of the atom and its components based on observations and mathematics made in the past and present. Now, I’m a college undergrad and have limited experience in the physics community, but my experience and observations thus far suggest that today’s physics and educational community seems to largely resist (or make up ‘excuses’ to make the current model work) most radical new perspectives. True, the standard model today may be the best explanation for mankind’s observations, but what happened to the huge imagination component? Albert Einstein once said “Imagination is more important than Education”.
It is obviously the dream of many to truly understand the ‘real’ mechanics of our universe, but the grand body of accepted physics is seemingly almost impermeable towards radical, new proposals. The proposal of the atom was a huge leap into modern theoretical physics, and it is radical ideas like those that will take us forward; not down a seemingly endless tangent.
A good example was the original proposal of string theory described on NOVA’s “The Elegant Universe”; how a man (I forgot his name) was in his attic thinking and conceptualized string theory. He submitted his proposal to a notable physics journal, and it was turned down; saying something like “your proposal is unique, but the board does not wish to publish it in our journal.” Fortunately, this theory has developed significantly since then, but similar ideas can easily be plowed over by experiences like that.
I’m not suggesting the standard model is wrong, but I’m emphasizing the existence of communities that are resistant to change which could take humanity’s grand understanding forward, not to a standstill. I urge both theoretical and experimental physicists to not so easily reject new or radical ideas, just because they don’t conform to the common accepted belief.

Due to the large amount of unexplained phenomenon in the universe, it is practically inevitable that a grand, new theory will prevail over the current standard model.

Regards,
-Taylaron

Physics news on Phys.org
Did I understand this right? Your position seems to be "I haven't studied it myself, but I am sure the people who have are doing it all wrong."

I'm not saying that at all. I'm simply emphasizing the evident resilience of bold, new ideas in the physics community. I'm not, and do not intend to discredit or deny the validity of any scientific work or theory of any kind. I'm urging people to be more creative and to not fear rejection or condemnation from the scientific community. That is all.

The universe being made out of little balls is far more plausible than it being made out of un-observable spaghetti.

taylaron said:
I'm not saying that at all. I'm simply emphasizing the evident resilience of bold, new ideas in the physics community. I'm not, and do not intend to discredit or deny the validity of any scientific work or theory of any kind. I'm urging people to be more creative and to not fear rejection or condemnation from the scientific community. That is all.
Given that Distler just recently finalized the publication of the final rebuttal of Lisi's simple theory of everything, I think your advice is especially untimely.

1. What is the 'correct' standard model in theoretical and experimental physics?

The 'correct' standard model in theoretical and experimental physics is a mathematical framework that describes the fundamental particles and forces of the universe. It is currently the most accurate and comprehensive model we have for understanding the interactions between particles at a subatomic level.

2. How does the standard model merge theoretical and experimental physics?

The standard model combines theories from both theoretical and experimental physics to create a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. Theoretical physicists use mathematical models and equations to predict the behavior of particles, while experimental physicists use sophisticated instruments to test these predictions and gather data.

3. What are the challenges of merging theoretical and experimental physics in the standard model?

One of the main challenges in merging theoretical and experimental physics is the need for precise and accurate measurements. Theoretical predictions can only be validated through experimental data, and discrepancies between the two can lead to the need for further refinement of the model. Another challenge is the complexity of the mathematical equations and theories involved, which require a deep understanding of both fields.

4. How has the standard model evolved over time?

The standard model has evolved over time as new experimental data and theoretical advancements have been made. As our technology has advanced, we have been able to gather more precise data and test the model to a greater degree. Theorists have also continued to refine the mathematical equations and theories to better explain the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. What are the implications of successfully merging theoretical and experimental physics in the standard model?

The successful merging of theoretical and experimental physics in the standard model has many implications for our understanding of the universe. It allows us to make more accurate predictions and explanations for the behavior of particles and their interactions. It also opens up new possibilities for discovering and understanding new particles and forces that may have previously been unknown. Additionally, the standard model has practical applications in fields such as technology and medicine, as it provides a deeper understanding of the building blocks of our world.