Mesh 2d of a complex geometry with FORTRAN

In summary, a mesh 2D of a complex geometry is a method used in FORTRAN to represent and analyze complex structures or objects in two-dimensional space. This involves dividing the geometry into smaller, simpler elements called meshes, which can then be analyzed using mathematical equations and algorithms. This approach allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of complex geometries, making it a valuable tool for engineers and scientists working with FORTRAN.
mariem.makh
I neet to do a structured triangular mesh 2D of a complex geometry with FORTRAN
Can someone help me!

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums mariem.makh. Please review the forums Terms and Rules. All posts must be in English.

Borg said:
Welcome to Physics Forums mariem.makh. Please review the forums Terms and Rules. All posts must be in English.
ok thank you :) I fixed it

mariem.makh said:
I neet to do a structured triangular mesh 2D of a complex geometry with FORTRAN
Can someone help me!
You're going to have to explain a lot more about what you want to do.

SteamKing said:
You're going to have to explain a lot more about what you want to do.
ok, I have to do a mesh 2d for a specific geometry with Fortran, have you any reference or cite can help me to do that

mariem.makh said:
ok, I have to do a mesh 2d for a specific geometry with Fortran, have you any reference or cite can help me to do that
It's still not clear what your task is.

Are you trying to write a Fortran program to generate a 2-D mesh? What sort of starting information would you be working with? What sort of output are you looking for, in addition to the coordinates of the nodal points of the mesh?

As a general rule, when writing a computer program, regardless of the language used, it is always a good idea to

1. Formulate a clear and detailed specification for what tasks the program is intended to accomplish
2. List the input information which the user will be expected to furnish
3. Describe the output results expected.

I presume this has been done before, for example, take a look at this page listing many kinds of program; entry 693, for example, sounds like the kind of thing you are looking for, then entries starting at item 769 regarding triangulation...

The above references may be too much for you...you request is so vague it tends to reveal quite a bit of inexperience.

Are you supposed to implement this program for the purpose of learning? Or are you supposed to just get it done for whatever purpose?

thank you for your answers, I work with the method control volume finite element method and I need to do with fortran the mesh 2d to specific geometry, (I found the mesh for on ordinary geometry, but not a complex geometry)
so the output that I need is the coordinates of the nodal points of the mesh

Related to Mesh 2d of a complex geometry with FORTRAN

1. What is a "mesh 2d" in FORTRAN?

A mesh 2d in FORTRAN refers to a two-dimensional grid structure that is used to represent the geometry of a complex shape or object. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications to discretize the space and make it easier to perform calculations and simulations.

2. How is a complex geometry represented in a mesh 2d?

A complex geometry can be represented in a mesh 2d by breaking it down into smaller, simpler elements such as triangles or quadrilaterals. These elements are then connected together to form a grid that approximates the shape of the geometry. The more elements used in the mesh, the closer the approximation will be to the actual shape.

3. What are the benefits of using FORTRAN for creating a mesh 2d?

FORTRAN is a high-level programming language that is specifically designed for scientific and engineering applications. It has built-in features and libraries that make it well-suited for creating and manipulating mesh 2d structures. Additionally, FORTRAN is a highly efficient language, allowing for faster computations and simulations.

4. How does FORTRAN handle complex geometry in a mesh 2d?

FORTRAN uses algorithms and equations to calculate the coordinates and connectivity of the elements in a mesh 2d. These equations take into account the shape and dimensions of the geometry to accurately represent it in the mesh. Advanced techniques, such as adaptive mesh refinement, can also be implemented in FORTRAN to handle more complex geometries.

5. Can FORTRAN handle large and complex mesh 2d structures?

Yes, FORTRAN is capable of handling large and complex mesh 2d structures. It has been used in various scientific and engineering fields to create meshes with millions of elements. With proper coding techniques and efficient algorithms, FORTRAN can handle even the most intricate geometries while maintaining high performance.