Mesons other than quark-antiquark states?

In summary, mesons are hadrons with integer spin that are typically composed of one quark and one antiquark, bound together by the strong interaction. However, there are also exotic meson-like states, such as tetraquarks and glueballs, that may not fit this definition exactly. Additionally, many mesons are actually combinations of multiple quark-antiquark states.
websterling
Mesons: hadrons with integer spin, usually quark-antiquark states

I came across this statement in a pdf of a powerpoint. Unfortunately the presentation is so badly formatted (missing images, content overlapping content, etc.) that it's hard to follow and I can't see if he ever describes mesons that are not quark-antiquark states.

Are there mesons that aren't quark-antiquark pairs? The only definition I've ever seen is: Mesons are hadronic subatomic particles composed of one quark and one antiquark, bound together by the strong interaction. The only thing I can think of is that he might classify tetraquarks as mesons because of their integer spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the definition.

There are exotic states that could be tetraquarks, meson molecules or something else (and it's not clear if it makes sense to distinguish between those categories). The existence of something meson-like is clear, the interpretation is not.

Hypothetical glueballs could be called mesons as well.

Likes websterling
websterling said:
Are there mesons that aren't quark-antiquark pairs? The only definition I've ever seen is: Mesons are hadronic subatomic particles composed of one quark and one antiquark, bound together by the strong interaction. The only thing I can think of is that he might classify tetraquarks as mesons because of their integer spin?

Your definition can't really be true, since many mesons are linear combinations of multiple quark-antiquark states, most prosaically, neutral pions, but also for several other light pseudo-scalar mesons. This is also the case for essentially all true scalar mesons.

1. What are mesons other than quark-antiquark states?

Mesons are subatomic particles made up of one quark and one antiquark. However, there are also mesons that are made up of more than two quarks, known as exotic mesons. These include tetraquarks, pentaquarks, and glueballs.

2. How are exotic mesons different from traditional mesons?

Traditional mesons, such as pions and kaons, are made up of a quark and an antiquark that are bound together by the strong force. Exotic mesons, on the other hand, contain more than two quarks and can have different combinations of quarks and antiquarks, making them more complex and harder to detect.

3. What is the significance of exotic mesons in our understanding of the Standard Model?

The discovery of exotic mesons challenges our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics. These particles were not predicted by the model and their existence suggests that there may be more to the fundamental building blocks of matter than we currently know.

4. How are exotic mesons detected and studied?

Exotic mesons are detected and studied using large particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. By colliding particles at high energies, scientists can create and observe the decay of exotic mesons, providing insight into their properties and behavior.

5. What practical applications do exotic mesons have?

Exotic mesons do not have any direct practical applications, but the research and study of these particles can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. This knowledge can then be used to develop new technologies and advancements in various fields, such as medicine and energy production.