Metal Deflection system/ Draft included

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of designing a system to induce and deflect aluminium tin using a positively charged metal plate. However, it is mentioned that this may not work due to the high voltage required. Alternatively, magnetic deflection systems are commonly used in industrial settings to separate metallic parts from bulk flows. The use of a solenoid as a pusher element is suggested, but the effectiveness of using electrostatic fields or eddy currents for separation is questioned.
Harmony
I am wondering if:
1. Is it possible to design such system? I am trying to induce the Aluminium Tin, then deflect it using a positively charged metal plate.

2. If so, what is the cost needed? Let say I want to deflect the tin for about 5cm from the center, and the size of the design should not exceed the size of 80cm*80cm

Attachments

• draft.bmp
    72 KB · Views: 464
Engineering news on Phys.org
You did not explain the principle of your device.
I guessed this is based on electrostatic forces.
If I guessed correctly, I think it will not work. You would require very high voltage to get a small force.

Metal deflection is very much used in industry.
For example, in cement grinding plants, metalic parts could damage some equipements.
They are removed with magnetic deflection systems. This is very common.
These devices commonly remove mettalic part from large bulk flows (more than 1000 t/h) without problem.
The same principle can be applied at any scale.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advise. Can you give me some link on the magnetic defelction system? And is it possible to design it without high cost?

Why not use a simple separate solenoid as the pusher element?

How does a solenoid separator help to separate metal from non-metal?:confused:

Harmony said:
How does a solenoid separator help to separate metal from non-metal?:confused:

Oh, I see your point. But I don't think you can use electrostatic fields for the separation either. Probably using eddy currents would work better?

1. What is a Metal Deflection System?

A Metal Deflection System is a type of structural support used in buildings or other structures to help distribute the weight and forces placed upon it. It consists of metal components, such as beams or columns, that are designed to deflect or bend slightly under load in order to reduce stress on the overall structure.

2. How does a Metal Deflection System work?

A Metal Deflection System works by using its flexible metal components to absorb and redistribute the weight and forces placed upon the structure. This allows the structure to remain stable and avoid excessive strain, which can lead to structural failure.

3. What is the purpose of including a draft in a Metal Deflection System?

The purpose of including a draft in a Metal Deflection System is to provide additional support and stability. Drafts are typically diagonal bracing or cross-members that are added to the structure to prevent lateral movement and improve its overall strength.

4. What types of structures commonly use Metal Deflection Systems?

Metal Deflection Systems are commonly used in high-rise buildings, bridges, and other large structures that require extra support to withstand heavy loads and forces. They are also used in industrial settings, such as factories and warehouses, to support heavy machinery and equipment.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a Metal Deflection System?

One potential disadvantage of using a Metal Deflection System is the cost and complexity of installation. These systems typically require specialized design and construction, which can add to the overall cost of a project. Additionally, if not properly designed or installed, a Metal Deflection System could potentially fail and compromise the structural integrity of the building or structure.