Metallic coin over wooden block in glass of water - buoyancy

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a wooden block with a metallic coin on top floating in water and the potential changes in height and density if the coin is thrown into the water. The conversation delves into the principles of buoyancy and Archimedes' principle, and the attempt to derive an expression for the change in height and density. The correct equation for buoyancy is Fb = gρV, where ρ is the density of the liquid and V is the volume of the submerged part of the object.
CaptCoonoor

Homework Statement

So there is some water inside a container; the height of water inside the container is l. I placed a wooden block on the water and it's floating to some height x, on top of the block is a metallic coin (see the diagram below).

What will happen if I throw that coin inside the water? Will the Height x and l change? Can we derive an expression for this change? I tried doing it, but failed.

cdtEi.png

Homework Equations

Fb=gρhA

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here is what I've tried Let's assume that our wooden block has mass m1 Volume v1height h1, height underneath the water as y and let's assume mass of Metallic coin as m2 Now total mass on block will be equal to (in which buoyant force is actin upon) : m = m2 + m1 and let's also say that total height h1 = x + y

Principle of buoyancy of a liquid is Give as : Fb=gρhA
Simplifying :
Fb=g(m/v1)(x+y)A ... {1}

Now, archimedes principle is given as F=gρhA
F=g(ρf - ρb)hA // ρb is Density of the Body

And then I am not sure what to do next .. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptCoonoor said:
Where ρ, h and A are what?

haruspex said:
Where ρ, h and A are what?
A - Area
ρ - density
h -
CaptCoonoor said:
h1 = x + y

CaptCoonoor said:
A - Area
ρ - density
h -
Sure, but of what?

haruspex said:
Sure, but of what?
Area of Wooden Block, ρb --> Density of Body
ρf --> Density of Liquid (water)
h is of Wooden block too

CaptCoonoor said:
Area of Wooden Block, ρb --> Density of Body
ρf --> Density of Liquid (water)
OK, but you previously posted
CaptCoonoor said:
Simplifying :
Fb=g(m/v1)(x+y)A ... {1}
If ρ is the density of the liquid, why do you have m/v1 there (where you have defined m = m1+m2)?
CaptCoonoor said:
h is of Wooden block too
If h is the total height of the block, then Ah would be the volume of the block. If you multiply that by the density of the liquid, what mass will that give you?

Let me try to explain again:
CaptCoonoor said:
Simplifying :
Fb=g(m/v1)(x+y)A ... {1}
This is wrong. The buoyant force does not depend in any way on the mass or density of the object nor on any part of its volume that is not immersed. It depends on the density of the fluid and the volume of the object that is submerged (and gravity, of course).
CaptCoonoor said:
Now, archimedes principle is given as F=gρhA
The principle of buoyancy is Archimedes' principle. It applies independently of whether the set-up is static and of whether the object is fully or partly immersed. Your other equation should come from the fact that the block+coin float.

haruspex said:
Let me try to explain again:

This is wrong. The buoyant force does not depend in any way on the mass or density of the object nor on any part of its volume that is not immersed. It depends on the density of the fluid and the volume of the object that is submerged (and gravity, of course).

The principle of buoyancy is Archimedes' principle. It applies independently of whether the set-up is static and of whether the object is fully or partly immersed. Your other equation should come from the fact that the block+coin float.
Didnt Realize it, Thanks .. Gonna rederive it

1. How does the metallic coin float on top of the wooden block in the glass of water?

The buoyancy of an object is determined by its weight and the weight of the water it displaces. In this case, the wooden block is less dense than the water, causing it to float. The metallic coin is also less dense than the water, but more dense than the wooden block. This allows it to rest on top of the block without sinking.

2. Why does the metallic coin not sink to the bottom of the glass?

The buoyancy of the wooden block supports the weight of the coin, preventing it from sinking to the bottom. Since the coin is less dense than the water, it experiences an upward force from the water, known as buoyancy, which balances out its weight and allows it to float on top of the block.

3. Would the metallic coin still float if the wooden block was removed?

No, the wooden block is essential for the coin to float. Without the block, the coin would sink to the bottom of the glass due to its weight being greater than the upward force of buoyancy from the water.

4. How does the size or weight of the metallic coin affect its buoyancy?

The size and weight of the coin do not affect its buoyancy in this scenario. As long as the coin is less dense than the water, it will experience an upward force from the water and float on top of the wooden block.

5. Can the same experiment be done with other objects besides a metallic coin and a wooden block?

Yes, this experiment can be done with any object that is less dense than water. You can try it with different coins, small toys, or even fruits and vegetables. As long as the object is less dense than water, it will float on top of the wooden block in the glass of water.