Why Is Methanol More Acidic Than Water Despite Solvation Effects?

In summary, the trend in acid strength between methanol, ethanol, and water can be attributed to the solvation effects of the surrounding solvent. While the inductive effect of the alkyl group on the oxygen atom may play a role in gas phase activities, it is not the determining factor in aqueous solutions. The inversion in water, where methanol is more acidic than ethanol, can be explained by the solvation of the negative charge being more favorable next to the smaller methyl group rather than the larger ethyl group. The pKAH of water being between that of methanol and ethanol is considered anomalous and is likely due to solvation effects. It is still unclear whether this is due to an enthalpy or entropy effect.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Soooo...looking at Ka values, methanol is more acidic than water. Ethanol is less acidic.

I understand that the reason ethanol is less acidic than water is because the ethanol ion has an inductive effect where more electrons are donated to the oxygen, so it being more negative it is more likely to pick up a hydrogen again. Why then is methanol more acidic than water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Methanol suffers less inductive effect from Methyl group than Ethanol suffers from Ethyl group.

Since the acidic strength is determined in aqueous solution itself, by the tendency of the molecule to deprotonate itself due to its acidic H atom being pulled out due to H-Bonds from water.

The strength of H-Bond between H-atom of water and O-atom of water is somewhat uniform (Water Water everywhere) but there is the difference in methanol (due to different groups attached to O atom in methanol). This might be the cause why Methanol is more acidic than water.

I think this sort of explanation (but which maybe is, surely was, in the textbooks and teaching) has to be treated with caution.

Of one thing I am sure, you must never limit yourself to looking only at the molecules ROH, and RO- you have to look at them in the surrounding solvent.

Your explanation actually is applicable to the gas phase for the equilibrium ROH ⇔ RO- + H+ where it turns out however to be wrong.

The trend in the alcohols, I quote
"was thought at one time to be due to a molecular electronic effect. The larger and more branched alkyl groups... were believed to have increasing electron-donating inductive effects which increasingly destabilise the alkoxide conjugate bases.

The gas phase activities are in the opposite order however."

(Tert-butanol is a stronger acid than methanol in fact)
(CH3)3COH > (CH3)2CHOH > C2H5OH > CH3OH

"The gas phase results, which reflect the inherent acidities, invalidate the earlier molecular electronic interpretation and establish that the inversion in water must be due to solvation. But is it nor clear whether we are seeing and enthalpy or entropy solvation effect without separate ΔAHH0 and ΔAHS0 effects."

I am surprised that these quantities were not available at the time of writing (1984). The quotes come from "The physical basis of organic Chemistry" by Howard Maskill. Electronic explanations do seem to work for some things however, or rather I guess, solvent effects although always important, can be constant enough in certain comparisons.

But from the several pages of the above book (all relevant I've got :blushing:) about the factors determining acid/base strengths it would be quite hard for a student to distil much predictive ability IMO. So I ask whether there is any more up to date and also more didactic text or run-down - surely the chemical education community has been active on this since it has taught a bit wrong previously?

The question is most clearly formulated as: why is the equilibrium

CH3O- + C2H5OH ⇔ CH3OH + C2H5O-

to the left? IOW why, in water, does negative the charge prefer to be next the methyl rather than the ethyl group?

The non-polar group can be thought of as a hole in the water so it is surrounded by structured water with bonds between water molecules as in a water-air surface.

Then my amateur explanation would be putting the charge involves breaking up a bigger surface and more bonds with the bigger nonpolar groups, so the charge prefers the smaller groups. *

But I would very much like to hear what is the accepted picture.*Even then not sure I can account for why the pKAH of water (15.74) is between that of methanol and ethanol, which Maskill says is anomalous and 'must be due to solvation effects'

Last edited:

1. What is the difference in acidity between methanol and water?

Methanol is a weaker acid than water, meaning it has a lower acidity level. This is due to the structure and bonding of the molecules, which affects the release of hydrogen ions.

2. How does the acidity of methanol compare to other alcohols?

Methanol is generally considered to be the weakest acid among the simple alcohols. This is because it has a smaller size and lower polarity compared to other alcohols, resulting in weaker hydrogen bonding and a lower acidity level.

3. Can methanol be used as a substitute for water in acidic solutions?

Yes, methanol can be used as a substitute for water in acidic solutions, but it may affect the overall acidity level. Methanol is a weaker acid than water, so the resulting solution will be less acidic compared to one made with water.

4. How does the acidity of methanol affect its properties?

The lower acidity level of methanol makes it less corrosive and less reactive compared to water. This is why it is commonly used as a solvent in many industrial and laboratory applications.

5. Can the acidity of water and methanol be modified?

Yes, the acidity levels of both water and methanol can be modified through the addition of other substances such as acids or bases. This can change the concentration of hydrogen ions and affect the overall acidity of the solution.