How Can the Cone Deck Be Mass Produced from Flat Pattern Blanks?

In summary, a mechanical engineering student from Morocco is seeking help with their final year project, which involves metal fabrication. They need a method for mass-producing a part called the "Cone Deck," assuming that flat pattern blanks have already been cut. The student has attached a picture of the part and has provided more details about its thickness. They have not studied metallurgy but have experience with drafting software. The expert suggests using press tools for volume production and provides resources for sheet metal press tool design. The expert also gives a basic process flow for cutting and forming the part, using a die and punch. They mention the importance of material selection and proper alignment in press tool design. The design of complex press tools can be difficult and is often based on
davidoff
Member warned about posting with no template and with no effort
Hello, I am a last year mechanical engineer student in Marocco, and i have no idea to solve a problem with my final year project, since we have never studied a thing about Metal fabrication.

The question is " give one method the Cone Deck could be formed in mass production assuming that flat pattern blanks are already cut.
With that method, prepare a simple process flow from raw material to finished part.
"
I have attached the 'cone deck' picture.

I need help please, i am lost.

Attachments

• project.jpg
    project.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
How big is it and what thickness of what metal ?

Likes davidoff
davidoff said:
Hello, I am a last year mechanical engineer student in Marocco, and i have no idea to solve a problem with my final year project, since we have never studied a thing about Metal fabrication.

The question is " give one method the Cone Deck could be formed in mass production assuming that flat pattern blanks are already cut.
With that method, prepare a simple process flow from raw material to finished part.
"
I have attached the 'cone deck' picture.

I need help please, i am lost.
So, you study mechanical engineering and you've never taken a course in machine design, drafting, or metallurgy?

Likes davidoff and berkeman
I do, metallurgy not really, we do study in paper & simulation & drafting using software, like, solidwork, catia, adams,, we don't do stuff really, we don't have needed equipment since it costs a lot.

I have attached more details about it's thickness and all.

Thank you very much for your help

Attachments

• 20150822_125953.jpg
    20150822_125953.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 436
Thank you ! :)

@Nidium

I have a similar question. I am having difficulty understanding what the raw material would be for this blank provided, and cannot properly understand all the components of the engineering drawing.

I have created a basic process flow as the prompt instructs, and would like to know if all my portions/steps are sequentially correct and make sense.

1. Sheering force upon a sheet metal, with a safe clearance distance away from die.
  2. Drawing force punched unto blank held upon die.
  3. Blank force punched into blank at fracture point; sheet metal held upon die.
I am a Mech Eng. student but haven't taken a materials or manufacturing course yet. However, your help would be immensely appreciated for this prompt. Thanks!

(1) The material is not specified but Aluminium or Mild Steel are commonly used for this sort of component . Most metals used in general engineering can be worked with press tools . Special very ductile grades of metals are available but ordinary general purpose grades are commonly used as well .

(2) There are two primary processes used in press tools :

Cutting where metal is removed from the blank - as in punching a hole .
Forming where metal is distorted - as in pressing flat metal into a bowl shape .

(3) In the cutting process :

The bottom part of the tool is a block that has a hole in it of same shape and size as the required cut out in sheet metal blank .
The top part of the tool is a plunger of same shape and size as hole in block .

Blank is laid on bottom block and top plunger comes down to cut through the blank and continue a short distance further .
The cut out piece may drop through the hole in the block or it may have to be ejected by a separate mechanism .

Block is commonly called a die and plunger is commonly called a punch . The hole in the die is very slightly larger than required cut out and/or punch is very slightly smaller .
Size difference allows for working clearance but is always kept to an absolute minimum .
Both punch and die have sharp cutting edges and have to be made from very special steels to withstand what is a very high load and often abrasive process .

Punch and die have to be kept in exact alignment . This is done by guiding the punch itself or by using slides on the press machine structure .

Large forces are usually needed for cutting .
Lubricants are sometimes used .

(4) In the forming process :

Actions are similar to cutting but die has a shaped cavity in it and punch has a matching shape but reduced in size all round working faces
by one thickness of metal being worked .

Metal blank usually has to be held down firmly all round forming area to prevent unwanted distortions .
Where possible cavity and tool profile are made smooth and with tapered sides so as to ease flow of metal , to prevent jamming and to ease removal of blank after forming .

More complex pressed out shapes are sometimes done in stages in sequential punch and die sets .

(5) Actual press tools as for example used for making car panels often have much more complexity than simple ones described above . There can be multiple moving parts for the cutting and forming and auxiliary moving parts for clamping blank and ejecting both finished part and waste material .

(6) Design of press tooling for making complex parts can be very difficult . In modern times this is aided by finite element and other modelling methods but traditionally it was done just using skill and experience .

This is a huge subject and cannot be covered properly in one posting . Please ask any questions you like .

Last edited:
Please explain these processes in more detail:

Nidum said:
Where possible cavity and tool profile are made smooth and with tapered sides so as to ease flow of metal , to prevent jamming and to ease removal of blank after forming .
- What are the cavity and tool profile?

Nidum said:
(5) Actual press tools as for example used for making car panels often have much more complexity than simple ones described above . There can be multiple moving parts for the cutting and forming and auxiliary moving parts for clamping blank and ejecting both finished part and waste material .

(6) Design of press tooling for making complex parts can be very difficult . In modern times this is aided by finite element and other modelling methods but traditionally it was done just using skill and experience .
- Can you go into more detail for these two steps? What is the most efficient, sustainable, and easiest approach for ejecting waste material?
- What is a simple process for ejecting the made part?

I sincerely appreciate your help - truly!

Press tool 01.jpg

Tool profile is shape of punch .
Cavity profile is shape of hole in die .

Last edited:
@Nidium

- Can you go into more detail for these two steps? What is the most efficient, sustainable, and easiest approach for ejecting waste material?
- What is a simple process for
ejecting the made part?

aa256287 said:
- What is a simple process for
ejecting the made part?
One is asking for a lot of information without knowledge of a specific application, e.g., process volume, as in limited run, short run, large run. One could stamp individual parts or several parts simultaneously depending on the volume.

Here is some examples - http://www.dekalbtool.com/tool-die-manufacturing-and-design.html

http://www.dekalbtool.com/deep-drawn-stamping-of-galvanized-steel-bus-roof-cap.html (video).

Please demonstrate some effort and do one's own research before requesting further information. One may search for "tool and die making/manufacturing".

Thread will be closed pending moderation.

Related to How Can the Cone Deck Be Mass Produced from Flat Pattern Blanks?

1. What is the method for metal fabrication?

The method for metal fabrication involves using various techniques and processes to shape and manipulate metal into desired shapes and structures. This can include cutting, bending, welding, and assembling metal pieces to create a final product.

2. What materials can be used in metal fabrication?

Metal fabrication can be done with a variety of materials, including steel, aluminum, copper, brass, and more. The specific material used will depend on the desired properties and characteristics of the final product.

3. What are the benefits of using metal fabrication?

Metal fabrication offers a range of benefits, including high strength and durability, versatility in design, and the ability to create complex shapes and structures. It is also a cost-effective and efficient method for producing large quantities of metal products.

4. What industries use metal fabrication?

Metal fabrication is used in a wide range of industries, including construction, automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is also commonly used in the production of household appliances, furniture, and various consumer goods.

5. What are some common techniques used in metal fabrication?

Some common techniques used in metal fabrication include cutting, bending, welding, and machining. Each of these techniques can be done manually or with the use of specialized machinery to achieve precise and high-quality results.