Method of Exhuastion for the area of a parabolic segment

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the book Apostol- Calculus Vol. 1 for self-studying proof-based Calculus and how to derive the identity 12+22+...+n(2)= n3/ 3 + n2/2 + n/ 6 using differences and a system of equations. It also mentions that the formula can be found by using recursion and that the proof is done through induction. The conversation also includes a procedure for finding ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^{p+1}## if ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^{p}## is known, along with an exercise to find other sums using
joey674
Hello everyone,

I'm using the book Apostol- Calculus Vol. 1 for self-studying to get a better understanding of proof based Calculus. They said this book was good for self studying, but I am already stuck in the first chapter. I'm trying to understand how he got the identity:

12+22+...+n(2)= n3/ 3 + n2/2 + n/ 6

Physics news on Phys.org
You could assume it is a cubic polynomial and set up a system of 4 linear equations by using n=1,2,3,4.

there is a footnote on page 27 of courant's calculus book that explains how all siuch formulas can be found by recursion. it was when i saw that in week one of freshman year in college that i knew i wasn't in kansas anymore, to paraphrase Dorothy of wizard of oz fame. to make the derivation easier, notice that all you really need to know is the lead term, i.e. that the formula is n^3/3 + a quadratic in n.https://www.ime.usp.br/~gorodski/ps/Courant-DifferentialIntegralCalculusVolI.pdf

Actually, it is straight-forward induction. The formula is obviously correct for n=1, so assume that it holds for n: [itex] \sum_{i=1}^{n}i^{2}=\frac{n^{3}}{3}+\frac{n^{2}}{2}+\frac{n}{6}[/itex]. We want to verify the formula for n+1, so we add (n+1)2. Now observe:
  1. [itex]\frac{(n+1)^{3}}{3}-\frac{n^{3}}{3}=n^{2}+n+\frac{1}{3} [/itex]
  2. [itex]\frac{(n+1)^{2}}{2}-\frac{n^{2}}{2}=n+\frac{1}{2} [/itex]
  3. [itex](n+1)^{2}=n^{2}+2n+1=(n^{2}+n+\frac{1}{3})+(n+\frac{1}{2})+\frac{1}{6} [/itex]
Now, adding the three expressions in parentheses in (3) to the corresponding elements in the formula, we end up with [itex] \sum_{i=1}^{n+1}i^{2}=\frac{(n+1)^{3}}{3}+\frac{(n+1)^{2}}{2}+\frac{(n+1)}{6}[/itex]. Therefore, the formula is (by induction) proven for all n.

Basic Idea: You can find ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^{p+1}## if you know ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^{p}## , for ##p\in\{0,1,2,\ldots\}##.

Procedure: (for ##p=1##)

We know that (Why?) $$\sum_{k=1}^n k^1=\frac{n(n+1)}2.\tag1$$ We also know that $$(k+1)^3-n^3=3n^2+3n+1.$$ Writing this formula for ##k=1,2,\ldots,n## we get:
$$
\begin{array}{rcl}
2^3-1^3 & = & 3\cdot1^2+3\cdot1+1\qquad \\
3^3-2^3 & = & 3\cdot2^2+3\cdot2+1 \\
\cdot\,\ \quad & & \\
\cdot\,\ \quad & & \\
\cdot\,\ \quad & & \\
\quad(n+1)^3-n^3 & = & 3\cdot n^2+3\cdot n+1 \\ \hline
(n+1)^3-1^3 &=&3[1^2+2^2+\cdots+n^2]+3[1+2+\cdots+n]\\&&\qquad\qquad+[\underbrace{1+1+\cdots+1}_{n\,\text{times}}]
\end{array}$$ This last equality can be simplified using ##(1)## to get: $$(n+1)^3-1=3\sum_{k=1}^n k^2+3\frac{n(n+1)}2+n.$$ We need to solve this equation for ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^2## to get our desired result: $$\begin{align*}
(n+1)^3-1=3\sum_{k=1}^n k^2+3\frac{n(n+1)}2+n&\iff n^3+3n^2+3n=3\sum_{k=1}^n k^2+3\frac{n(n+1)}2+n\\
&\iff n^3+3n^2+3n-3\frac{n(n+1)}2-n=3\sum_{k=1}^n k^2\\
&\iff n^3+3n^2+2n-\frac{3n(n+1)}2=3\sum_{k=1}^n k^2\\
&\iff \frac{2n^3+6n^2+4n}{2}-\frac{3n^2+3n}2=3\sum_{k=1}^n k^2\\
&\iff\frac{2n^3+3n^2+n}2=3\sum_{k=1}^n k^2\\
&\iff\frac{2n^3+3n^2+n}{2}\frac13=\sum_{k=1}^n k^2\\
&\iff\frac{2n^3+3n^2+n}{6}=\sum_{k=1}^n k^2\\
&\iff\sum_{k=1}^n k^2=\frac{n^3}3+\frac{n^2}2+\frac n6\\
\end{align*}$$

Now substitute ##n## with ##n-1## to get your desired formula. :wink:

N.B: This is (overall) the same method Apostol uses to evaluate ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^{2}## , you just had to look further in the text :woot:, see Calculus vol.I, pp.5-6.

Exercise: Find ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^{3}##, ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k^{4}## and ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n \frac1{k(k+1)}## using this method. Good luck! :oldtongue:

Last edited:
Likes joey674

What is the method of exhaustion?

The method of exhaustion is a mathematical technique used to approximate the area or volume of a shape by dividing it into smaller, simpler shapes whose areas or volumes can be easily calculated.

What is a parabolic segment?

A parabolic segment is a portion of a parabola that is bounded by a chord and the arc of the parabola. It can be thought of as a shape created by slicing a parabolic shape with a straight line.

How does the method of exhaustion work for finding the area of a parabolic segment?

The method of exhaustion works by dividing the parabolic segment into smaller, simpler shapes (such as triangles or rectangles) and calculating the area of each shape. Then, the sum of these areas is taken as an approximation of the total area of the parabolic segment.

What are the limitations of using the method of exhaustion for calculating the area of a parabolic segment?

The method of exhaustion can only provide an approximation of the area of a parabolic segment, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of smaller shapes used. As the number of shapes used increases, the approximation becomes more accurate. However, this method can become time-consuming and impractical for complex shapes.

How is the method of exhaustion different from other methods of finding the area of a parabolic segment?

The method of exhaustion is different from other methods, such as integration, in that it does not require knowledge of calculus or advanced mathematics. It is a more intuitive and visual approach to finding the area of a shape, making it accessible to a wider range of people.