Metric Tensor: Symmetry & Other Constraints

In summary: That's a very important point, because it means that the metric does not depend on the choice of coordinate system.No, the metric must be differentiable, but it is not necessary that it be continuous.
quickAndLucky
TL;DR Summary
What are the mathematical constraints on the metric?
Aside from being symmetric, are there any other mathematical constraints on the metric?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physical interpretation requires some other features like
[tex]g_{00}>0, g=det(g_{ik})<0[/tex]
in (+---) 0123 convention.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Physical interpretation requires some other features

Not the ones you state. It is perfectly possible to have a metric tensor that violates your conditions, if the coordinates are chosen appropriately.

Physically, the metric tensor must have a (1, 3) signature (or (3, 1) if we choose the opposite signature convention), but that in no way requires the condition you impose on the particular components.

Likes anuttarasammyak
PeterDonis said:
but that in no way requires the condition you impose on the particular components.
That’s clearly true for the sign of ##g_{00}##, but for the statement about the determinant?

Likes anuttarasammyak
Nugatory said:
for the statement about the determinant?

The determinant of a 3-submatrix is not constrained. The determinant of the full metric is, but I don't think that's the determinant that the poster in post #2 meant, since he used the indexes ##ik##, which usually means just the "spatial" indexes. He's welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

PeterDonis said:
He's welcome to correct me if I am wrong.
I intended i,k=0,1,2,3. Thanks.

anuttarasammyak said:
I intended i,k=0,1,2,3.

Ah, ok. Then your constraint on the determinant is correct, but your constraint on ##g_{00}##, as noted, is not.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Now I know for an example in rotating system ##g_{00}<0## for region r > c / ##\omega## where no real body cannot stay still to represent coordinate (r,##\phi##). Thanks.

anuttarasammyak said:
Now I know for an example in rotating system ##g_{00}<0## for region r > c / ##\omega## where no real body cannot stay still to represent coordinate (r,##\phi##). Thanks.

There are plenty of examples. Just a few off the top of my head:

Null coordinates in Minkowski spacetime, and the various kinds of null charts in curved spacetime (for example, Eddington-Finkelstein, Kerr-Schild).

Painleve coordinates in Schwarzschild spacetime, at and inside the event horizon.

Static coordinates in de Sitter spacetime, at and outside the cosmological horizon.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Isn't there also a requirement that the metric be continuous and twice differentiable in order that the curvature tensors are well behaved?

I think the correct statement is already made, i.e., the pseudometric (I insist on calling it NOT metric, because it's not positive definite, it's the fundamental form of PSEUDO-Riemannian manifold and not a Riemannian one, and that's very important physics wise since it allows for defining a causality structure of spacetime) must be non-degenerate and have the signature (1,3) (west-coast convention) or (3,1) (east-coast convention). That means the the components ##g_{\mu \nu}## form a real symmetric ##4 \times 4## matrix with 1 positive and 3 negative (or 3 positive and 1 negative) eigenvalue. Consequently the determinant ##\mathrm{det}(g_{\mu \nu})<0##. Since GR is covariant unders general diffeomorphisms of the coordinates at any point in spacetime you can choose "Galilean coordinates", such that in this one point ##(g_{\mu \nu})=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)## (or ##(g_{\mu \nu})=\mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1,1)##).

1. What is the metric tensor and why is it important in physics?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object used to describe the geometry of a space. In physics, it is particularly important in the theory of relativity, where it is used to define the spacetime interval between two events. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of the laws of gravity.

2. What is the symmetry of the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is symmetric, meaning that its components are equal when interchanged. This symmetry is important because it ensures that the metric tensor is well-defined and consistent in all coordinate systems, making it a useful tool in physics and mathematics.

3. What are the constraints on the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is subject to several constraints, including the requirement that it must be positive definite, meaning that all of its eigenvalues are positive. It must also be invertible and have a non-zero determinant. These constraints ensure that the metric tensor accurately describes the geometry of a space.

4. How does the metric tensor relate to the curvature of a space?

The metric tensor is used to calculate the curvature of a space through the Riemann curvature tensor. This tensor is constructed from the derivatives of the metric tensor and describes the curvature of a space at each point. In general relativity, the curvature of spacetime is directly related to the distribution of matter and energy through Einstein's field equations.

5. Can the metric tensor be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the metric tensor has applications in many areas of science, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is used to describe the geometry of spaces in general relativity, but it can also be applied to other theories, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. In engineering, the metric tensor is used to analyze the stress and strain in materials, as well as in computer graphics and computer vision.