Mew-Mew's Urinary Issue: Vet Visit in the Morning

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary, Mew-mew is exhibiting symptoms of a potential urinary tract issue, such as blockage, infection, or crystal buildup. He is scheduled to see the vet in the morning. In the meantime, he is experiencing pain and discomfort, and is exhibiting unusual behavior, such as growling and hissing when picked up. His urine is concentrated and he is crying frequently. The owner has tried to distract him with toys, but he is still in distress.
~christina~
Gold Member
Mew-mew, has an issue. It started today afternoon. I came home from school, I saw him use the litterbox in the bathroom, then I thought that he was getting an attitude with me when I told him to stop over burying his waste in cat litter. (he actually listened but had a meow fit)

I then picked him up and asked him why he was in such a bad mood, and he started growling and meowing loudly at me, whilst I was carrying him.
I put him down since he had never done that and then he hissed at me.
Then he proceeded to cry some more..

Now I find that when he, uses the litter box, no urine is actually being voided.
He then proceeds to cry/meow loudly and then leave litterbox and cry some more in the hallway.

I looked up why this could be happening and found that male cats have a chance of getting blockage in the urinary tract from, stones, cysts, crystal buildup from concentrated urine, infection.

I'm bringing him to the vet in the morning.

He doesn't want to be disturbed much but cries some more when I talk to him. :cry:

He has now passed a few drops of urine from what I've observed.
Cries a lot after that...seems that the urine drops are quite yellow= concentrated.

I tried to lure him to play with a toy fish that is connected to a stick. He chased it around and then flopped down on his tummy and started to lick his private area...he does this alot.

currently he's in the hallway, crying his lungs out...:cry::cry::cry::cry:
I feel bad that I can't give him anything for the pain..his leg shakes sometimes too.

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be crystallization or it could be a simple UTI. Try not to worry, but get him to the vet as soon as you can.
Do you have an emergency vet you could go to now?

Oh how heartbreaking...I'm so sorry, christina! My thoughts are with you and your sweet Mew-mew :cry: ...

Math Is Hard said:
It could be crystallization or it could be a simple UTI. Try not to worry, but get him to the vet as soon as you can.
Do you have an emergency vet you could go to now?

There are some in the city but It's quite costly to even treat his condition in the daytime during normal hours (500+) If I do it now, I don't think I would be able to pay for his whole treatment. Then the only option would be to put him down.

He looks alright. He's going tommorow at 10 in the morning.
I just spent the last 1/2 hour petting him on my lap.

Thanks lisab I hope he'll be fine.

~christina~ said:
There are some in the city but It's quite costly to even treat his condition in the daytime during normal hours (500+) If I do it now, I don't think I would be able to pay for his whole treatment. Then the only option would be to put him down.
oh, no. I don't think any vet would recommend that. But yes, the emergency care is expensive.
He looks alright. He's going tommorow at 10 in the morning.
I just spent the last 1/2 hour petting him on my lap.

Oh, good. I am glad he is settling down. Give him lots of sweet talk if he starts having pain again and doesn't want to be petted.

For the future, here is a cat litter that is helpful for UTI detection:
http://www.petabbey.com/store-produ...at-Litter----4-Pound-Bonus-Pack_40346129.html

I also give my kitty special treats for urinary tract health. Maybe your vet can recommend some.

My cat has crystals, and must be kept on a special diet. The Vet suggested all kinds of tests, and of course the really costly food, that he sells. I however refused and now make my cats food, made of boiled fish or chicken with rice.

Oh! Poor Mew mew! :frown: You'd be grouchy too if you really had to pee and couldn't or it was painful when you did. You might want to restrict his access to hiding places...if he starts to hurt too much, he might want to hide and make it hard for you to get him out in the morning when you're ready to head to the vet. Brace yourself for him to be extra grouchy in the morning. He might even try to bite if you pick him up and it hurts, so have a towel ready and remember it's because he's hurting and scared, not because he's being a bad cat.

~christina~ said:
Mew-mew, has an issue. It started today afternoon. I came home from school, I saw him use the litterbox in the bathroom, then I thought that he was getting an attitude with me when I told him to stop over burying his waste in cat litter. (he actually listened but had a meow fit)

I then picked him up and asked him why he was in such a bad mood, and he started growling and meowing loudly at me, whilst I was carrying him.
I put him down since he had never done that and then he hissed at me.
Then he proceeded to cry some more..

Now I find that when he, uses the litter box, no urine is actually being voided.
He then proceeds to cry/meow loudly and then leave litterbox and cry some more in the hallway.

I looked up why this could be happening and found that male cats have a chance of getting blockage in the urinary tract from, stones, cysts, crystal buildup from concentrated urine, infection.

I'm bringing him to the vet in the morning.

He doesn't want to be disturbed much but cries some more when I talk to him. :cry:

He has now passed a few drops of urine from what I've observed.
Cries a lot after that...seems that the urine drops are quite yellow= concentrated.

I tried to lure him to play with a toy fish that is connected to a stick. He chased it around and then flopped down on his tummy and started to lick his private area...he does this alot.

currently he's in the hallway, crying his lungs out...:cry::cry::cry::cry:
I feel bad that I can't give him anything for the pain..his leg shakes sometimes too.
Sounds like cystitis or UTI as MIH suggested. Give the cat acidifier (ask the vet) and food with reduced ash/magnesium. If the cat has UTI, then he may need anti-biotic. Clean the litter box more frequently, and use vinegar when cleaning it.

Meanwhile - http://www.homevet.com/petcare/cystitis.html

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-urinarytract-problems.htm

Last edited:
Poor Mew mew :frown: Fingers crossed.

Put him down because you can't pay? :eek: What kind of mad place do you live? Are there no vet practices that will do it for free like the PDSA? I'm sure you'd be eligible since you're in school.

While it won't take care of the immediate issue (hopefully the trip to the vet will), the book "The natural cat" by anitra frazier has good advice about preparing a homemade diet for your cat if you choose to go hypatia's route (I had a friend who added pumpkin to help limit her cat's emergency trips to the vet for constipation). It has good advice about other things too, like how to trim your indoor cat's nails safely, how to best introduce a new cat to ones already in the house, etc. A good read even if you aren't as hippy as anitra, and therefore a bit more pragmatic about your cat. (Of course, I'm not as pragmatic about my Cha-Cha as I'd like to think I am!) You and Mew-mew are in our thoughts.

Christina do take him to the vet even if he shows improvement. I almost lost a cat, he seemed to improve and then fell over and stopped moving, I rushed him to the emergency vet and he had serious bladder damage. He was completely blocked. They weren't sure he was going to live. They unblocked him and drained him and started him on antibiotics, but since they were emergency and only open at night, they told me to take him to a regular vet for observation...then the nightmare began.

This can be fatal and I did have another cat that died after being blocked twice.

It sounds like you have caught this soon enough and Mew Mew will be ok. Please let us know he is.

physics girl phd said:
While it won't take care of the immediate issue (hopefully the trip to the vet will), the book "The natural cat" by anitra frazier has good advice about preparing a homemade diet for your cat if you choose to go hypatia's route (I had a friend who added pumpkin to help limit her cat's emergency trips to the vet for constipation). It has good advice about other things too, like how to trim your indoor cat's nails safely, how to best introduce a new cat to ones already in the house, etc. A good read even if you aren't as hippy as anitra, and therefore a bit more pragmatic about your cat. (Of course, I'm not as pragmatic about my Cha-Cha as I'd like to think I am!) You and Mew-mew are in our thoughts.
We (my mom) had a seal-point Siamese cat named Cha-Cha. That was 45 years ago. Unfortunately my mom backed the car over her. :frown:

Our second seal-point Siamese was Ling-Ling. She was an outdoor cat. She survived a collision with a car, although she was badly injured.

We had a Calico (Pumpkin) who had a chronic cystitis problem, and we had to use an acidifier to lower the pH of the urine as well has put her on a special low ash diet.

My family dog actually went blind over night on Friday/Satuday. He was diabetic.

Not sure how much longer he has.

JasonRox said:
My family dog actually went blind over night on Friday/Satuday. He was diabetic.

Oh no! Oh, Jason I am so sorry. Pets are so loving and trusting and it's so hard when they get sick. I hope you can spend time with him. I am so sad for you.

Evo said:
Oh no! Oh, Jason I am so sorry. Pets are so loving and trusting and it's so hard when they get sick. I hope you can spend time with him. I am so sad for you.

Thanks.

I think it will affect my mom more than anyone.

I'm sure he me misses right now though (out of the house). He's so thin. He used to be more muscular. I used to hit him all the time on his upper back thighs. People thought I was crazy, but for some reason he liked it. :approve:

Evo said:
Christina do take him to the vet even if he shows improvement. I almost lost a cat, he seemed to improve and then fell over and stopped moving, I rushed him to the emergency vet and he had serious bladder damage. He was completely blocked. They weren't sure he was going to live. They unblocked him and drained him and started him on antibiotics, but since they were emergency and only open at night, they told me to take him to a regular vet for observation...then the nightmare began.

This can be fatal and I did have another cat that died after being blocked twice.

It sounds like you have caught this soon enough and Mew Mew will be ok. Please let us know he is.

Yeah, this can be bad if holding his urine results in an infection. Plus, it can give him a distended bladder for a while even with the blockage cleared up. It's not much fun holding the cat in the litter box and pumping water into its mouth until it finally pees. I had to force feed him, as well, since he was sick enough he didn't even feel like eating.

In our case, the first infection weakened him enough that he was susceptible to more illnesses. He'd improve, then catch some other infection or illness, improve, catch something else. We finally gave up when he was down to about a third of his normal weight.

If you get him in and cured before he gets some kind of infection, his chances are pretty good. Just don't wait.

Christina,

I hope your cat is doing much better and you caught this pretty early on. I can imagine the pain the cat must have had when you caught him/her not being able to pee. Just like humans, it's hard for cats too.

My cat had a UTI a few months ago. Not a big deal, but get to a vet asap for the comfort of the cat.

My cat's bladder was also damaged by the stones inside. To make a horrific story short, his penis had to be removed, he had two surgeries and three transfusions.

If a cat is completely blocked for a couple of days the amount of toxins reach extremely high levels. My cat was completely blocked.

Good luck, Christina. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your friend.

I am keeping Mew Mew in good positive thoughts, for a quick recovery. I know how hard it is when our animal friends become ill.

Sorry to hear all that Christina, I hope that don't have difficult decision to make. All the best for Mew mew

Any word yet on Mew-mew? I hope he got to the vet and is more comfortable now.

Sorry to hear about your dog, too, Jason. Dogs can do well even if blind, so if you treat the diabetes, he might still recover in other ways. It just makes it more tedious to care for them when they need regular insulin shots, but it can be done.

Christina, I hope Mew Mew is ok. If he needs medical care $, let us know. I'm not exactly rolling in cash right now, but maybe some of us could kick in some. This condition can be expensive, I know. My cat's emergency room bill was almost $500 and the surgery and transfusions ended up totaling $2,500 more. This was all in a few days.

Now I am starting to really worry about Mew Mew. Hopefully all went well, and christina is doing something else.

You should be in good shape since you're getting him in so early.

When i was in 6th grade (so four years back) we came home one December night from my orchestra concert to find our tiny cat Mitzy with a leg torn to hell (we think it was a fox). We cleaned her up and got her into the vet, turned out the opposite front leg was broken, and the damage to the ripped up one was so bad that after a few weeks of trying to save it it had to be removed. Anyways, she's now as lively as ever, and even more loving as well. We think she realized what she went through and appreciates us for it.

Christina, I've refrained from responding until now because I didn't (and still don't) know what to say to comfort you. Both of my neutered orange male cats (the most susceptible type) had uric acid crystal buildups in their bladders. This made it critical to not let them get wet or cold, both of which aggravate the condition.
The oldest one was given pills (probably the acidifiers that Astro mentioned), and was fine. The younger one had to be re-plumbed. His penis wasn't removed, but his urinary tract was rerouted to his intestine, so he evacuated all waste through the same orifice.
Both of them required only one emergency vet visit (first indication of discomfort). The immediate treatment for both was a catheter to drain the bladder (merely thinking of which makes my balls try to climb up and hide behind my tonsils ).
Anyhow, the basic situation is that your friend's health should be manageable, enabling him to lead a healthy, happy life with you.

Evo said:

Ah, I'm not crazy! I did say I was taking him to the vet at 10AM the next morning and I did. They told us we caught it in time. Too bad, I let him out in the office and then he spotted another cat...then flew up a food rack and hid there. When I pulled him out, he sort of had an accident and it had blood in it.

He's back home, and resting. They weren't happy that I had to pull him out after 2 days. They were in a pricy neighborhood and I guess, decided that that was insane.(apparently everyone can afford it in their mind) I did pull him out and I was outraged when I brought him home.

He smelled of urine..the box smelled of urine. Then the WORST part was that BOTH his arms were injured. They covered his arms with bandages and I thought that it was just because they had an IV in him before, but then I saw bruises and razor burns from where they shaved him! He also had a cut in his private area where they shaved down there too!
I have volunteered at a animal hospital and they are supposed to put them to sleep before they shave anything. They must have thought that he was a nice calm kitty since they stuck the thermometer up his behind and he didn't budge at all. Well I have to say when it comes to anything that makes noise, he starts acting wild. OR they were just cheap and didn't want to waste their solution.

I gave him a thorough bath and thorough drying with the blowdryer. I was NOT going to let him in my house otherwise.

I would sue them but they state in the contract, that if anything happens to your animal during their care, they are NOT responsible, and thus not liable.

They ABUSED my kitty. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

They didn't even give me a cone for his head so he wouldn't lick his bottom. I had to make one of my own. Then on top of that, they gave me half filled bottles of medicine and I don't even know if it was only my cat that was using that bottle. I had to pay full price for them.

I'm so angry :mad: right now but at least Mew Mew can use the bathroom fine.

Oh and he had no crystals/stones/etc. He actually had a urinary tract infection.

I've paid the bill in full but I couldn't let him stay another day like they wanted. Hell, they would have kept him for 2 weeks if they could, just to milk the situation for all it's worth.
It came out to $878. (faints)

Last edited:
Danger said:
Christina, I've refrained from responding until now because I didn't (and still don't) know what to say to comfort you. Both of my neutered orange male cats (the most susceptible type) had uric acid crystal buildups in their bladders. This made it critical to not let them get wet or cold, both of which aggravate the condition.
The oldest one was given pills (probably the acidifiers that Astro mentioned), and was fine. The younger one had to be re-plumbed. His penis wasn't removed, but his urinary tract was rerouted to his intestine, so he evacuated all waste through the same orifice.
Both of them required only one emergency vet visit (first indication of discomfort). The immediate treatment for both was a catheter to drain the bladder (merely thinking of which makes my balls try to climb up and hide behind my tonsils ).
Anyhow, the basic situation is that your friend's health should be manageable, enabling him to lead a healthy, happy life with you.

Why are orange male cats more suseptable?
lol..they do have human ones :biggrin:

They tried to sell me the, "Science diet," food. But currently they forced me to pay for "urinary So in gel" cat food for him.

I gave him all his medications and I shall see.

Oh, man, that SUCKS! I'm glad your buddy is OK, and so sorry that he had to be traumatized that way. You can eventually rationalize it, talk to us, and get over it. He needs YOU right now so he can stabilize and settle down.

best for you both

I also wanted to thank everyone for their concern. I might send a picture of Mew-mew with his alternative cone and bandages on his bed. :biggrin:

Kurdt said:
Put him down because you can't pay? :eek: What kind of mad place do you live? Are there no vet practices that will do it for free like the PDSA? I'm sure you'd be eligible since you're in school.

Being in school doesn't mean anything around here.

JasonRox said:

Aw..that's unfortunate. :frown:

I hope for the best with your doggy. It will take some time for him to get used to not seeing anything.

turbo-1 said:
Oh, man, that SUCKS! I'm glad your buddy is OK, and so sorry that he had to be traumatized that way. You can eventually rationalize it, talk to us, and get over it. He needs YOU right now so he can stabilize and settle down.

best for you both

Yes it does... I won't be taking him back there anymore.
How would I rationalize it? Ah, so it was part of his treatment...:uhh:
(really hard to rationalize anything when you have volunteered at a animal hospital, and you KNOW it's not part of standard procedure to razor burn an animal in your care)

I have left him in the bathroom so if he does have an accident, it won't be on the carpet.
He started to sleep after he found a comfortable spot with his alternative cone on his head.

Last edited:
~christina~ said:
Why are orange male cats more suseptable?

I don't know. It must be a susceptibility to the condition in orange toms, which is then triggered by the neutering (maybe hormone imbalance) plus exposure to cold and damp conditions. That's just my best guess, though; Moonbear is a specialist in this sort of stuff, so I'll leave an answer up to her.

I am so glad it was an infection, but $878 for an infection? And no cone?

Poor Mew Mew, give him hugs and kisses from me. I can't believe they handled him so badly. :mad: