Mexico to challenge Arizona Smuggling Law?

In summary: It's clear that they are trying to provoke a reaction from the right, but they are not going to get it.In summary, the Mexican government contacted a Los Angeles-based attorney to question Andrew Thomas' policy of charging undocumented immigrants with conspiracy to commit human smuggling. The Maricopa County Attorney responded by accusing the Mexican government of being a willing partner in crime and of attempting to undermine the coyote law. He also noted that if the Social Security Administration discovers that an illegal alien is using a person's SS number, the individual cannot be told about the violation due to a tax privacy law. As for the Minuteman group, it is being disclosed to Mexican authorities by the U.S
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas lashed out Tuesday against the Mexican government because its consul general in Phoenix contacted a Los Angeles-based attorney to question Thomas' policy of charging undocumented immigrants with conspiracy to commit human smuggling.

"You have a foreign government coming in and trying to organize the defense efforts of criminal defendants in an attempt to attack the coyote law, and in fact, attack the right of any state in the nation, effectively, to pass anything meaningful to stop illegal immigration," he said. "That is an extraordinary act. And I'm not aware of a parallel to this in our history." [continued]
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0510conspiracy0510.html

As I have said before, this is an invasion, not immigration. In following the news of late, it is more and more clear to me that Mexico is a willing partner in crime in this issue. Also, the Minuteman group is claiming that their position was compromised by a tip from someone in the Border Patrol - given to the Mexican government. I'm not sure what to make of this allegation yet.

Interesting note: As reported on Lou Dobbs, if the Social Security administration discovers that an illegal alien is using your SS number, you can't be told due to a tax privacy law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mexico is definitely a partner in crime on this issue. When you have a government coming out with public speeches telling people to BREAK THE LAW and go into the US... what else can you consider them (the government)? I mean what if Bush came out on national TV and told everyone to try to commit internet-based identity theft of German citizens in Germany or something like that?

The INS needs to be kicked out and Mexico put under sanctions. They can be let off sanctions once they stop making illegal emigration public policy. INS needs to be reformed and let the people in who want to come in legally and keep the people out who believe they are above US law.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0510conspiracy0510.html

As I have said before, this is an invasion, not immigration. In following the news of late, it is more and more clear to me that Mexico is a willing partner in crime in this issue. Also, the Minuteman group is claiming that their position was compromised by a tip from someone in the Border Patrol - given to the Mexican government. I'm not sure what to make of this allegation yet.

Interesting note: As reported on Lou Dobbs, if the Social Security administration discovers that an illegal alien is using your SS number, you can't be told due to a tax privacy law.

The location of the Minuteman operations are being disclosed to Mexican authorities by non other than the U.S. Border Patrol.

While Minuteman civilian patrols are keeping an eye out for illegal border crossers, the U.S. Border Patrol is keeping an eye out for Minutemen -- and telling the Mexican government where they are.
According to three documents on the Mexican Secretary of Foreign Relations Web site, the U.S. Border Patrol is to notify the Mexican government as to the location of Minutemen and other civilian border patrol groups when they participate in apprehending illegal immigrants -- and if and when violence is used against border crossers.

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman confirmed the notification process
, describing it as a standard procedure meant to reassure the Mexican government that migrants' rights are being observed.
http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3799653

What still amazes me is that we are spending $50 billion per year on national security and yet we have an open border. The people smugglers and drug coyotes (sometimes the same people) rely heavily on cell phones and two way radios for communications, yet by some anomaly national security agencies are not interested?? While at the same they are spying on Americans in their homes!

Something is going on and it is not just on the Mexican side of the equation. Someone in power in this country really wants an expanded lower class. As for the INS, they have been left at the bottom of the food chain as far as the authority to do anything to stop the flow of illegals is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Someone in power in this country wants an expanded lower class.

Since this has been happening for a long time... i doubt it's some"one" and i would suspect they have ties to the same groups that organized that "day without immigrants" racist-fest

Pengwuino said:
Since this has been happening for a long time... i doubt it's some"one" and i would suspect they have ties to the same groups that organized that "day without immigrants" racist-fest

This has been happening for a long time for sure, like a hundred years or so. But what has been happening recently is unprecedented. Historically there have been no nationwide demonstrations with clear demands from America and the American people.

The amnesty that they are demanding would give this country a large new block of voters who would number over 10,000,000 and could sway elections for many years to come.

I have a gut feeling that "they" as you put it, have the hidden agenda of influencing politics and social structure in this country as their true motivation.

So who exactly are "they", republicans , democrats, big business? I do know that barring a complete revolt by the American public against any amnesty proposal, "they" who would grant amnesty, would stand to gain 10,000,000 + votes in 2008.

The Hispanic activists are already registering voters at a pace claimed to include 1,000,000 previously non voting hispanics by November 2006. Most of these non English speaking new voters will vote for anyone who claims to favor amnesty for the other 10,000,000.

This is more than an invasion as Ivan stated, since invaders sometimes leave. What is happenning could result in a social strategy that forever changes America as we have always known it.

Last edited:
The democrats are clearly doing it. Then again maybe not, even the DNC doesn't really openly support criminal activities... well except maybe in California.

Also, they wouldn't gain more then 100,000 votes. Activists claimed they were going to get a million more mexicans (or some number that was in the millions) out to vote back when they kicked Davis out in California. When all was said and done, their participation rate barely budged. People brainwashed by this "Latino pride" aren't/weren't going to be bothered by not doing their civic duty to the United States, so why would we expect people who break the US law to do their civic duty to the US by voting either?

This is becoming one strange as hell country. What next, banning heterosexual marriage? Pledging allegiance to flowers?

How many California/arizona/texas senators are up for re-election that are against amnesty?

Pengwuino said:
How many California/arizona/texas senators are up for re-election that are against amnesty?

They don't talk straight enough to be sure.:smile: Kyle in AZ claims to be but he changes his mind to suit the situation.

haha, nothing like a screwy talking politician to make your day

edward said:
This has been happening for a long time for sure, like a hundred years or so. But what has been happening recently is unprecedented. Historically there have been no nationwide demonstrations with clear demands from America and the American people.

The amnesty that they are demanding would give this country a large new block of voters who would number over 10,000,000 and could sway elections for many years to come.

I have a gut feeling that "they" as you put it, have the hidden agenda of influencing politics and social structure in this country as their true motivation.

So who exactly are "they", republicans , democrats, big business? I do know that barring a complete revolt by the American public against any amnesty proposal, "they" who would grant amnesty, would stand to gain 10,000,000 + votes in 2008.

The Hispanic activists are already registering voters at a pace claimed to include 1,000,000 previously non voting hispanics by November 2006. Most of these non English speaking new voters will vote for anyone who claims to favor amnesty for the other 10,000,000.

This is more than an invasion as Ivan stated, since invaders sometimes leave. What is happenning could result in a social strategy that forever changes America as we have always known it.
In response to one of your earlier posts, and this post...

If the middle class disappeared into a mass of poor, I would like to know how the 1% of wealth would protect itself. True that civil liberties are being chipped away by the Patriot Act, NSA Spying, etc., and it is very hard, maybe impossible to ever regain such liberties once lost. But as long as the 2nd Amendment and right to bear arms remains--hmm.

Seriously, I agree the pro-amnesty/illegal immigration movement is a result of a combination of agendas. It is primarily capitalistic greed, which includes individual American citizen greed, not just businesses. As you say, it is a fight between political parties to increase votes via a larger Latino population. It is religion, most notably the Catholic church that wants an increased following. And it is trade unions that think they will win members today who will have citizenship tomorrow.

I believe our representatives fear violence/riots, loss of campaign contributions, and possible negative effects on the economy and our ability to compete globally. But it is an invasion--an undeclared war, because it is not only encouraged, but outright funded by a foreign country, Mexico. A corrupt and self-serving government that is given millions in U.S. foreign aid each year, has realized it can profit even more by exporting crime, poverty, disease, and now is overtly meddling in political affairs by supporting protests, political ads/lobbying, and now funding legal action. The voter registration is really disconcerting. As I've said, it only takes a driver's license to register to vote.

America should fear this more than terrorism, and our government should protect the legal citizens of this country. Go Sheriff Joe!

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
The democrats are clearly doing it. Then again maybe not, even the DNC doesn't really openly support criminal activities... well except maybe in California.

The California Democratic, especially the people in the legislature, is heavily composed of traitors who serve Mexico, and illegal immigrants first. They already tried what is being discussed in this thread--right before Davis got the boot for it.

Also, they wouldn't gain more then 100,000 votes. Activists claimed they were going to get a million more mexicans (or some number that was in the millions) out to vote back when they kicked Davis out in California. When all was said and done, their participation rate barely budged. People brainwashed by this "Latino pride" aren't/weren't going to be bothered by not doing their civic duty to the United States, so why would we expect people who break the US law to do their civic duty to the US by voting either?

This is becoming one strange as hell country. What next, banning heterosexual marriage? Pledging allegiance to flowers?

Who knows. More and more I'm thinking of moving to somewhere in Europe after graduate school.

1. What is the "Arizona Smuggling Law"?

The "Arizona Smuggling Law" refers to a controversial piece of legislation passed in 2005 by the state of Arizona, officially known as the "Human Smuggling and Transportation Act." This law makes it a state crime to transport or harbor undocumented immigrants, and also allows law enforcement to seize and auction off vehicles used in suspected smuggling activities.

2. Why is Mexico challenging this law?

Mexico has filed a legal brief with the United States Supreme Court challenging the Arizona Smuggling Law. The Mexican government argues that the law is unconstitutional and interferes with the federal government's authority to regulate immigration. They also argue that the law has led to racial profiling and discrimination against Mexican citizens.

3. What is the current status of the legal challenge?

The case, Chamber of Commerce of the United States v. Whiting, was heard by the Supreme Court in 2011. The Court upheld the Arizona Smuggling Law in a 5-3 decision, with one justice recusing themselves. However, in 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that the law was unconstitutional, citing the potential for racial profiling. The case is now back before the Supreme Court, which will make a final decision on its constitutionality.

4. What are the potential implications of this legal challenge?

If the Supreme Court rules in favor of Mexico and strikes down the Arizona Smuggling Law, it could set a precedent for other states with similar laws. It could also have a significant impact on immigration policies and enforcement at the federal level. Additionally, it could strain relations between the U.S. and Mexico, as the two countries have a long history of disputes over immigration issues.

5. What are some arguments for and against the Arizona Smuggling Law?

Some arguments in favor of the law include the belief that it helps to combat illegal immigration and human trafficking, and that it is within the state's rights to regulate these issues. Critics of the law argue that it leads to racial profiling and discrimination, and that it interferes with the federal government's authority over immigration. They also argue that it has negative economic impacts, such as deterring tourists and damaging relationships with neighboring countries.