Microscope condensers and resolution kohler illumination

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of kohler illumination and its effects on final resolution in brightfield microscopy. It is explained that critical illumination images the source onto the sample plane, while Kohler illumination images the Fourier transform of the source. It is also mentioned that stopping down the condenser can improve image contrast and depth of focus, and the field diaphragm is used to define the illuminated region of the sample. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of focusing the source in Kohler illumination.
u0362565
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about the process of kohler illumination (optimised condenser alignment) in brightfield microscopy and how this affects the final resolution attained.

Resolution concerns the minimum detectable distance between two objects and the closer to structures are, then a greater degree of diffraction occurs. Ultimately this means that higher resolution information is encoded by light rays that are at a more obtuse angle if the optical axis is zero degrees, hence the wider the acceptance angle of the lens (NA) the higher the resolution.

The light leaving the specimen can be seen as a mirror image of the light cone emanating from the condenser. If the condenser is closed down too far then the angles over which the objective lens can receive light is reduced and thus the full NA of the lens is not realized. Is that an acceptable way of thinking about this?

I'm slightly confused though by the opposite case, if the condenser aperture is opened too far. The acceptance angle range of the lens is fixed, so why does a wider light cone mean that the NA of the lens is not realized? Does closing the aperture force light into the lens, an over simplification i know..

The first image on this page gives a nice illustration of how I'm visualising the light cones emanating from the condenser and specimen.
http://www.olympusmicro.com/primer/anatomy/condensers.html

My second question concerns the field diaphragm. Why do you need a physical barrier to prevent some light from reaching the condenser? The crucial step is controlling the angles of light allowed to pass to the objective lens so why not let the condenser do all the work?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few issues here to discuss. First, a clean definition of Kohler, and critical, illumination: critical illumination images the source onto the sample plane, while Kohler illumination images the (spatial) Fourier transform of the source onto the sample plane. Both illumination conditions maximize the illumination efficiency, both provide independent control of the field and aperture diaphragms, and in both cases aberrations in the illumination optics do not reduce the optical performance of the objective lens.

Because the condenser NA is independent of the objective NA, two main effects occur, corresponding to NA_cond << NA_obj and NA_cond > NA_obj. Overall, resolution is given by

When NA_cond > NA_obj, image contrast is often lowered due to the 'mixing' of unscattered high NA rays and light from low NA rays scattered by then sample into higher NA. By slightly stopping down the condenser, image contrast is often increased, as is the depth of focus.

When the NA_cond << NA_obj, the sample is essentially illuminated by a plane wave, which can be used to emphasize diffraction effects. For example, if you are looking at a grating, stopping the condenser all the way down will provide improved images of the diffracted orders.

As for *why* the condenser should be stopped down at all, the answer has to do with aberrations- lens aberrations increase as the diameter of the stop increases- stopping down *any* lens will reduce aberrations (except for distortion).

Does this help?

Hi Andy,

Yes thanks you made some good points there. Ultimately when I'm describing use of the condenser i'll make it clear that the achievable resolution is equal to the Na of the objective + NA condenser and NA condenser is changed by adjusting the condenser aperture. Would you say that the field diaphragm is purely used to ensure that the source is focussed at the front focal plane of the condenser rather than at the specimen plane?

Thanks again,

Matt

The field diaphragm defines the illuminated region of the sample. I only stop down the condenser field diaphragm for two reasons- during initial alignment, to ensure the condenser and objective are focused to the same sample plane, and if I am concerned about sample bleaching (fluorescence imaging)- I don't want to illuminate portions of the sample I am not looking at.

With Kohler illumination, focusing the source requires the ability to view pupil planes, either with a Bertrand lens or some other method. This is not always easy to do, which is why many lamps have a diffuser plate.

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your questions about microscope condensers and resolution kohler illumination. I can provide some insight into these concepts.

Firstly, you are correct in your understanding that resolution is determined by the minimum detectable distance between two objects, and that the closer the structures are, the greater the degree of diffraction and the higher the resolution. This is known as the diffraction limit, which is a fundamental principle in microscopy.

In regards to kohler illumination, the goal is to align the light rays in a way that maximizes the resolution of the microscope. This is achieved by optimizing the condenser alignment, as you mentioned. The condenser acts as a lens to focus the light onto the specimen, and the light leaving the specimen is then captured by the objective lens. If the condenser aperture is closed down too far, the angles of light reaching the objective lens are reduced, resulting in a lower numerical aperture (NA) and therefore a lower resolution. On the other hand, if the condenser aperture is opened too far, it allows for a wider range of angles of light to reach the objective lens, but beyond a certain point, the objective lens is not able to capture and resolve all of these angles, resulting in a lower resolution.

Regarding your question about the field diaphragm, it is used to control the amount of light reaching the condenser. This is important because too much light can cause glare and reduce contrast in the image. By limiting the amount of light, the contrast and resolution of the image can be improved.

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions about microscope condensers and resolution kohler illumination. Keep exploring and learning about microscopy, it is a fascinating field! Best of luck in your studies.

Sincerely,Scientist

1. What is the purpose of a condenser in a microscope?

The condenser is an important part of a microscope that helps to focus and direct the light onto the specimen. Its main purpose is to increase the amount of light that reaches the specimen, resulting in a brighter and clearer image.

2. What is the difference between a brightfield and a darkfield condenser?

A brightfield condenser is used to produce a bright background while observing stained or naturally pigmented specimens. A darkfield condenser, on the other hand, is used for specimens that do not absorb or transmit light, resulting in a bright image against a dark background.

3. How does Kohler illumination improve image quality?

Kohler illumination is a method of adjusting the light source in a microscope to provide even and uniform illumination across the specimen. This helps to reduce glare and improve contrast, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image.

4. What is the role of the numerical aperture in microscope resolution?

The numerical aperture (NA) is a measure of the ability of a lens to gather and focus light. It is directly related to the resolution of a microscope, with a higher NA resulting in a higher resolution and the ability to distinguish smaller details in the specimen.

5. How do you properly set up Kohler illumination on a microscope?

To set up Kohler illumination, first adjust the condenser height so that the light is focused on the specimen. Then, center the light using the condenser diaphragm and adjust the field diaphragm until it is just outside the field of view. Finally, adjust the condenser aperture until it is in focus and evenly illuminated.