Microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators

In summary: This is true for any of the microstates. Therefore, if you know the number of objects and the number of microstates, you can figure out how many objects will be in any given microstate. In this case, we are looking at the microstate with 5 quanta (000000005). So, we divide the number of objects (44000) by the number of microstates (1287) to get the number of objects in that microstate, which is 34.188034.
quickclick330
Consider an object containing 9 one-dimensional oscillators (this object could represent a model of 3 atoms in an Einstein solid). There are 5 quanta of vibrational energy in the object.

(a) How many microstates are there, all with the same energy?

1287 microstates

(b) If you examined a collection of 30000 objects of this kind, each containing 5 quanta of energy, about how many of these objects would you expect to find in the microstate 000000005?

I got part (a) but I don't know exactly what question 4 is asking? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Im trying to work out a similar problem to this one. Does anyone know how to go about solving part B? I'm not sure how one would start the problem. I tried determing the probabilities of 5-0, 0-5, 4-1, 1-4, 3-2, and 2-3, and then used the ration of 0-5 to the sum, but that produced an incorrect answer.

I also have a similar problem on WEBASSIGN. My friend got part B, but he never told me HOW, but here is his problem and answer.

Consider an object containing 9 one-dimensional oscillators (this object could represent a model of 3 atoms in an Einstein solid). There are 5 quanta of vibrational energy in the object.
How many microstates are there, all with the same energy?
HIS ANSWER: 1287

If you examined a collection of 44000 objects of this kind, each containing 5 quanta of energy, about how many of these objects would you expect to find in the microstate 000000005?
HIS ANSWER: 34.188034

I kinda know how he get it
but with no explanation, so don't ask me
5/1287= x/44000
5*44000/1287 = 170.9401
170.9401/5=34.188034

A better way is 44000/1287, that gives the number of objects.

Here's the reason that works...

000000005 is just one of the 1287 microstates. Therefore, the number of objects divided by the number of microstates gives you the number of objects that are in anyone given microstate.

1. What are microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators?

Microstates refer to the specific configurations or arrangements of particles within a system, while multi-dimensional oscillators are systems that can oscillate or vibrate in more than one direction or dimension.

2. How do microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators relate to each other?

The microstates of a system can affect the oscillatory behavior of multi-dimensional oscillators, as the specific arrangement of particles can impact the energy and forces within the system that drive the oscillations.

3. What are some examples of multi-dimensional oscillators?

Examples of multi-dimensional oscillators include molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles, as well as larger systems like pendulums, springs, and vibrating strings.

4. How are microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators relevant in different scientific fields?

In physics, microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators are important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, while in chemistry, they are crucial in studying the properties and reactions of substances. In biology, microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators play a role in understanding the structure and function of proteins and other biomolecules.

5. What are some practical applications of knowledge about microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators?

Knowledge about microstates and multi-dimensional oscillators is essential in fields such as materials science, where understanding how different arrangements of particles affect the properties of materials is crucial. It is also relevant in the development of technologies such as lasers, semiconductors, and sensors.