Microwave Based Photonic Filters

In summary, the individual is seeking help to understand the working principle of microwave-based photonic filters, specifically from a basic level. They have searched for material on the topic but have not found anything that explains the fundamental working principle. They are requesting assistance in this regard and have provided a link to an article for reference.
Umar
Hi ! I am actually seeking help regarding working principle of microwave based photonic filters from basics, I have tried a lot I did find allot of material but non of them were describing the basic working principle. Helping in this regard will be highly appreciable. Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Umar said:
Hi ! I am actually seeking help regarding working principle of microwave based photonic filters from basics, I have tried a lot I did find allot of material but non of them were describing the basic working principle. Helping in this regard will be highly appreciable. Regards
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you please provide links to the reading you have been doing so far? What are the applications of these filters?

EDIT/ADD -- I Googled your thread title, and got lots of good hits. Here is one of the first ones:

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep35621

I just want to gain the general idea that who these photonic filters based on microwave, works. Thanks for sharing links, let see if they can help. Regards

1. What is a microwave based photonic filter?

A microwave based photonic filter is a device that uses a combination of microwave and optical technologies to filter out specific frequencies of light. It is able to selectively manipulate the wavelengths of light using microwave signals to achieve a desired filtering effect.

2. How does a microwave based photonic filter work?

A microwave based photonic filter works by converting optical signals into microwave signals using an optical modulator. These microwave signals are then processed and filtered using microwave components such as delay lines and resonators. The filtered signals are then converted back to optical signals using another optical modulator.

3. What are the advantages of using microwave based photonic filters?

Some advantages of using microwave based photonic filters include high selectivity, low insertion loss, and the ability to handle large bandwidths. They also have the potential for integration with other photonic and electronic components, making them versatile for various applications.

4. What are some common applications of microwave based photonic filters?

Microwave based photonic filters have a wide range of applications in areas such as optical communication networks, microwave photonic signal processing, and radar and sensing systems. They are also used in research and development for testing and measuring optical components and devices.

5. What are the current challenges in the development of microwave based photonic filters?

One of the main challenges in the development of microwave based photonic filters is achieving high performance while maintaining low cost and size. Other challenges include reducing noise and improving stability, as well as integrating with other technologies. Ongoing research and advancements in materials and manufacturing processes are helping to address these challenges.