Midterm Mishap: What Are My Options?

• Thread starter anubis01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary, a student in a physics program posted a philosophy midterm without asking for prior approval to use the washroom. The professor asked for the student's midterm and refused to let them rewrite it. The student sent an email to the professor asking for a chance to rewrite the midterm or transfer its weight to the final exam, but has not received a response. The only day the professor has office hours was cancelled and the student is worried about school policy preventing them from rewriting the midterm after April 1st. They plan to seek advice from their faculty office, but are unsure of any other options. Another person sympathizes with the student but believes it will be difficult to convince anyone that the professor was in the wrong and suggests they may be out
anubis01
Now this particular midterm is not with physics but since I am in the physics program, I thought I could post it.

All right on the Friday that just passed (March 20th) I was writing a philosophy midterm when I got up to go use the washroom, I did not ask for prior approval, which in hindsight I should have. However, in the past, I have had TA's in different classes tell me I do not have to ask to go to the washroom and it was not mentioned at the beginning of the midterm that students are not allowed to leave.

I come back from the washroom and as soon as I sit down the professor asked me where I went, I tell him I went to the washroom he says, and “you’re supposed to ask first, I’m going to have to ask for your midterm.” After I hand it in I go up to him and I tell him I was close to finishing the midterm to at least convey that I wasn't trying to cheat my way out of this (I could have done a better job of this though). I ask if it is possible to re-write the midterm but his reply is just a flat no. No attempt at all to explain his decision process.

after this I wrote him an email detailing how I take his course very seriously, have not missed any of his classes and I did well on the last midterm (77%) and it would be very unfortunate if this one act of miscommunication on my behalf ruined a semesters worth of work. I asked if it were possible to re-write the midterm or at least have the weight transferred to the final exam.

Well I still have no reply from him yet and email for the time being is the only way to contact him because the only day he has office hours he canceled this week for personal reasons. My big problem of course is that it would be impossible to re-write the midterm after April 1st (school policy) and I do not believe he will be willing to transfer the weight of the midterm to the final exam.

I'm planning on Monday to go to my faculty's office and ask for advice on how to handle the situation but failing that, My question for you guys is where can I go from and do I have any recourse for this or am I just stuck in this mess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I don't have any personal experience with this, but I would think you're pretty boned. While the situation sucks, it's going to be hard to convince anyone(i.e. the department head, etc.) that the professor was in the wrong, and if he's not willing to work with you I think you're pretty much done. I feel for you.

I can understand the frustration and stress that you are feeling in this situation. It can be difficult when there is miscommunication or conflicting information about policies and procedures. However, there are a few options that you can consider in this situation.

Firstly, it is important to try and remain calm and professional when communicating with your professor. It seems like you have already taken the right steps by emailing him and expressing your concerns. If you have not received a response yet, it may be beneficial to follow up with a polite reminder email. It is possible that your professor is busy and has not had a chance to respond yet.

If you do not receive a response or if your professor is unwilling to consider your request, you can reach out to your faculty's office for advice. They may be able to provide guidance on how to handle the situation and what options are available to you.

Another option is to schedule a meeting with your professor during their office hours. If they have canceled their office hours for this week, you can try reaching out to them to schedule a meeting for a different time. This can provide an opportunity to discuss the situation in person and potentially come to a resolution.

It is also worth checking your course syllabus and any other documents provided by your professor to see if there is any mention of policies regarding leaving during an exam. If there is no mention of it, you may have a stronger case for requesting a re-write or weight transfer.

Ultimately, it is important to remember that your education is important and it is worth advocating for yourself in this situation. If all else fails, you can also consider reaching out to a higher authority, such as the department chair, for assistance.

I hope you are able to find a resolution to this situation and continue with your studies successfully. Best of luck.

1. What is "Midterm Mishap" about?

"Midterm Mishap" is a hypothetical scenario where a student misses an important midterm exam due to unforeseen circumstances.

2. What are some common reasons for missing a midterm exam?

Some common reasons for missing a midterm exam include illness, family emergencies, or transportation issues.

3. What options do I have if I miss a midterm exam?

If you miss a midterm exam, you should first reach out to your professor to explain the situation and see if they can offer any accommodations. You may also be able to make up the exam at a later date or have the weight of the exam redistributed to other assignments.

4. Can I retake a midterm exam if I did poorly on it?

This will depend on your professor's policies. Some may allow you to retake the exam if you have a valid reason, while others may not offer this option. It is important to communicate with your professor about your concerns and ask about their retake policy.

5. How can I prevent missing a midterm exam in the future?

To avoid missing a midterm exam, it is important to stay organized and keep track of important dates and deadlines. If you have a conflict or know you will be unable to attend an exam, communicate with your professor beforehand to see if alternative arrangements can be made. It is also a good idea to have a backup plan in case of unforeseen circumstances, such as having a study group or tutor who can help you catch up on missed material.