Millikan oildrop experiment: archimedes' principle

In summary, the oil drop experiment measures the force of gravity on an oil drop. The principle behind it is Archimedes' principle which states that the volume of a sphere (the oildrop) is equal to the sum of the volumes of the objects inside of it. The weight of the drop, w, is the product of the volume of the drop and the density of the oil.
Looh
Hello!

My physics teacher gave me an assignment to work out (theoretically) how Millikan's oildrop experiment works.

The simple principle of the experiment (as far as I know):
[itex]E = \frac{F}{Q}[/itex]
[itex]F = mg[/itex]
[itex]mg = qE \rightarrow q = \frac{mg}{E}[/itex]

However, after reading a bit on Wikipedia it seems as if there is more involved in order to receive an acceptable value of the particle.

Archimedes' principle:
[itex]F = pVg[/itex]

Volume of a sphere (the oildrop):
[itex]V = \frac{4πr^3}{3}[/itex]

The weight of the drop:
[itex]w = \frac{4πr^3}{3}(p - p_{air})g[/itex]

I don't understand why p is being subtracted by p_air, what density does p refer to?

I'm sorry if I'm ambiguous or outright wrong, I'm not particularly good at physics.
You can read more about the method I'm trying to understand here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_drop_experiment#Method

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is ρ (Greek letter rho) not p.

ρ is a density of the oil.

In other words, [itex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}\rho[/itex], the volume of the oil drop times the density of oil, is the actual gravitational force on the oil drop. [itex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}\rho_{air}[/itex] is that same volume times the density of oil. Their difference is the "net weight", the actual weight of the oil minus the weight of the air it displaces.

Borek said:
It is ρ (Greek letter rho) not p.

ρ is a density of the oil.

HallsofIvy said:
In other words, [itex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}\rho[/itex], the volume of the oil drop times the density of oil, is the actual gravitational force on the oil drop. [itex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}\rho_{air}[/itex] is that same volume times the density of oil. Their difference is the "net weight", the actual weight of the oil minus the weight of the air it displaces.

Ah, yes, I understand now! Many thanks to both of you! :smile:

Hi there!

First of all, great job on trying to understand the Millikan oildrop experiment! It is a very important experiment in the field of physics and it is great that you are taking the time to understand it.

In this experiment, Robert Millikan used the principles of both electrostatics and fluid mechanics to determine the charge of an electron. The experiment involved suspending tiny oil droplets in a chamber and using an electric field to measure the charge on the droplets.

Now, let's talk about Archimedes' principle. This principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In simpler terms, it means that the weight of an object in a fluid will be reduced by the weight of the fluid it displaces. In the case of the oildrop experiment, the oil droplet is suspended in air, which can be considered a fluid for this experiment. So, the weight of the droplet will be reduced by the weight of the air it displaces.

Now, let's look at the equation you provided for Archimedes' principle:
F = pVg

Here, p refers to the density of the fluid, which in this case is air. The density of air is much lower than that of the oil droplet, so it is being subtracted from the density of the droplet (p-p_air). This is to account for the weight of the air that the droplet displaces.

I hope this helps you understand the concept better. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need further clarification!

1. What is the purpose of the Millikan oil drop experiment?

The purpose of the Millikan oil drop experiment is to determine the charge of an electron, which was previously unknown. This experiment also helped to confirm the existence of subatomic particles.

2. How does the Millikan oil drop experiment use Archimedes' principle?

The experiment uses Archimedes' principle by measuring the weight of an oil droplet in air and in an electric field. The difference in weight between the two states allows for the calculation of the droplet's volume, which is then used to determine its density.

3. Why is the Millikan oil drop experiment considered a landmark experiment in physics?

This experiment is considered a landmark because it provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron, which was crucial for understanding the structure of atoms and the existence of subatomic particles.

4. What challenges did Millikan face when conducting this experiment?

One of the main challenges faced by Millikan was the difficulty in preparing and maintaining a stable and uniform electric field. This was essential for accurate measurements of the oil droplets' weight and movement under the influence of the electric field.

5. How did the results of the Millikan oil drop experiment contribute to our understanding of the atomic structure?

The experiment's results, specifically the accurate measurement of the charge of an electron, helped to confirm the existence of subatomic particles and led to the development of the modern atomic model. It also provided evidence for the existence of quantized charge, which is a fundamental property of subatomic particles.