Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe

In summary, the minimum vacuum pressure inside the pipe can be determined by calculating the buckling stress using Roark's formulas and the given wall thickness and outer diameter of the pipe.
Bryan Sutter
I have a length of pipe where air is being pulled through by a high powered fan at one end. The pipe is stainless steel, outer diameter is 100 inches. the thickness is 0.125 inches. I need to know what is the minimum vacuum pressure inside the pipe can be before the atmospheric pressure will collapse the steel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you done a pipe buckling calculation to determine its critical buckling pressure?

Likes bsheikho
Bryan Sutter said:
I have a length of pipe where air is being pulled through by a high powered fan at one end. The pipe is stainless steel, outer diameter is 100 inches. the thickness is 0.125 inches. I need to know what is the minimum vacuum pressure inside the pipe can be before the atmospheric pressure will collapse the steel?
Welcome to the PF.

Can you add a fan at the input to the pipe to minimize the gauge pressure on the pipe wall? How long is the pipe?

Mech_Engineer said:
Have you done a pipe buckling calculation to determine its critical buckling pressure?
Can you elaborate on this? You aren't referring to Euler's column buckling formula are you?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you add a fan at the input to the pipe to minimize the gauge pressure on the pipe wall? How long is the pipe?
The input of the pipe is inside a tank, so I do not believe adding a fan at this location is possible. As to the length it is ductwork going through a large plant, so I do not have length on hand, but it is quite long.

For a reference on your problem got to: http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1962/3445605700239.pdf

And for something that might help review the set of tables starting on pg 439 of: http://ijiset.com/vol2/v2s12/IJISET_V2_I12_50.pdf

These and a list of other pertinent items will be found with a web search under the title "external pressure buckling of pipes or tubes"

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes bsheikho
Bryan Sutter said:
Can you elaborate on this? You aren't referring to Euler's column buckling formula are you?

This http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1962/3445605700239.pdf .

Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain also includes a section titled "Thin Tube Under Uniform lateral External Pressure; Very Long Tube with Free Ends", which is a set of equations for calculating buckling strength of pipes. You may be limited based on your wall thickness to diameter ratio, so pay close attention to the stated limits of any formulas you might find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

What is "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe"?

"Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe" refers to the minimum amount of pressure that is required to create a vacuum inside a pipe or tubing. This is usually measured in units of pressure such as psi (pounds per square inch) or kPa (kilopascals).

Why is the "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe" important?

The "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe" is important because it determines the ability of a pipe or tubing to withstand the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the pipe. If the pressure inside the pipe is too low, it can cause the pipe to collapse or deform, leading to potential damage or failure.

How is "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe" measured?

The "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe" is typically measured using a pressure gauge or transducer that is attached to the pipe. The vacuum pressure can be created using a vacuum pump, and the pressure is then read on the gauge or displayed on a digital screen.

What factors affect the "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe"?

There are several factors that can affect the "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe", including the material and thickness of the pipe, the diameter of the pipe, and the type of vacuum pump being used. Environmental factors, such as temperature and altitude, can also play a role.

How can the "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe" be increased?

The "Min Vacuum Pressure in Pipe" can be increased by using a higher quality or thicker-walled pipe, increasing the diameter of the pipe, or using a more powerful vacuum pump. Proper sealing and maintenance of the pipe can also help to maintain a higher vacuum pressure.