Pressure of Slurry in a Stainless Steel Pipe

In summary, the pressure in the pipe can be estimated by considering the fluid flow rate and the pipe dimensions.
stevenkyle96
I am trying to find the pressure in a ANSI stainless steel pipe with a nominal diameter of 10 in. A slurry of fiberglass and water is flowing through the pipe that has a viscosity of 3.2 centipoise. The flow rate through the pipe is approximately 3000 GPM.

How can I figure out the pressure in this pipe?

If it is not possible to figure out the pressure with the above information. What is the pressure assuming the fluid flowing through the pipe is water at 3000 GPM?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

Best you can get with the given data is a pressure drop per unit of length. To find an absolute pressure, more info is needed.

You do not provide enough information. The "pressure in the pipe" could be anything, it depends on what is pushing the flow along.

You have almost enough info to predict the pressure loss in the pipe. I think if you gave the density you might be able to estimate the psi loss over 100 ft of pipe, for instance, for the case of water. I haven't ever done calculations for "slurries" -- maybe someone else here could help with that.

EDIT: looks like I was typing while @BvU was finishing up
2nd EDIT: also, 10" nominal does not provide enough info on the pipe. You'd need the schedule, or pipe internal diameter.

My 16th Edition of Cameron Hydraulic Data has pressure loss information for viscous liquids and for paper stock. If your slurry consists of fiberglass fibers in water, then the paper stock information might be useful. Maybe. The trends (pressure loss vs velocity and % solids) should be of some use. I would not expect to be able to get useful results for pressure loss because there are too many differences that affect the flow. I see there is a copy of the 16th Edition posted online.

Assuming the fiberglass is in the form of loose fibers, then a key variable is the fiber length.

Slurries are a challenge, Your best option is to take some measurements and develop a design chart for your specific slurry.

Likes stevenkyle96 and jim mcnamara

1. What is the pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe?

The pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe is the force per unit area exerted by the slurry on the inner walls of the pipe. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How is the pressure of slurry calculated in a stainless steel pipe?

The pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe can be calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the slurry, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the slurry column above the point of measurement. However, this equation may need to be modified depending on the properties of the slurry and the pipe.

3. What factors affect the pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe?

The pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe can be affected by various factors, such as the density and viscosity of the slurry, the flow rate, the diameter and length of the pipe, and the presence of any obstructions or bends in the pipe. The type of stainless steel used for the pipe may also have an impact on the pressure.

4. How does the pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe impact the pipe's structural integrity?

The pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe can exert significant forces on the pipe walls, which can lead to stress and potential damage. It is important to consider the pressure and other factors when designing and selecting a stainless steel pipe to ensure its structural integrity and prevent any potential failures.

5. Can the pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe be controlled or regulated?

Yes, the pressure of slurry in a stainless steel pipe can be controlled or regulated through various means such as adjusting the flow rate, using pressure regulators or valves, and selecting a pipe with appropriate dimensions and material properties. Regular monitoring and maintenance can also help to ensure that the pressure remains within safe and desired levels.